474,484 or 528 in 340 with OTB Edy heads ?

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
Ok, I have a pretty fresh steel crank 340, trw .030, with arp main and rod bolts. I have these 3 cams and plan to use one of them. Not buying something different, just want to use what I have. MP.474, .484 hyd, or .528 solid ? New open chamber Edy heads, plan to slap them on, as is. T-ram with either holley390s,450s, or Edy 500s, ? have all three. Have 1.5 and 1.6 crane gold, a set of what I think are comp rollers, or stamped steel with MP adjustable pushrods ?, have them but need to buy pushrods for hyd or solid with rollers. 70 all steel dart with full interior. Dont really plan to take it to strip, just a weekend cruiser. Has 2800 stall manual VBody 727 and 3.90s with 275 60s. Cheap headers and small stock exhaust to the bumper. Have a 7qt Mancini aluminun pan,windage tray, valley tray, HV pump, MP pump drive, comp chain and mopar tensioner also. What would be the best cam, carbs and rockers to use from the stuff I alredy have ? Thanks

I think the 528 is excellent.

Why open chambers? No quench in most cases with that hed.

I like the 528 mechanical of the three.

stock style early 340 pistons, above deck. Got deals on pretty much all of it

tunnel ram has a high power band (upper rpm range)
heads otb are mid range
solid lifter cam is upper rpm range.
your hydraulic cams are mid range. you cant run them over 6500 rpms.

obviously the bigger cam will give you the most power.
however that cam will need different springs than stock. which means the heads might need some work done for the specified springs to be seated properly.
you might get lucky just using them OTB with whatever springs are on them. but then you might not. it would be a gamble.

you want the springs specified for your camshaft (whichever cam you choose)

I would go with the 528, the 484 might be too much. Should be a rascal of a engine!

3rd or 4th for the .528 but buy rockers and pushrods - not the adjustable pushrods. If you can't afford that the .484 installed advanced 4° will run ok. Any MP cam NEEDS to be degreed whn installed.

I have rockers, guess I should use the crane gold 1.5s ? Get some comp 7.5 pushrods . What should the 528 be installed at ? Which carbs - holley vac 390s, mechanical 450s or Eddy 500s ? Thanks guys

I put them in straight up. They are not as large as you think and it doesn't need any help with low end or cylinder pressure. The 484 is larger and needs the advancing.

I put them in stockish compression 340's at 107 vs the MP suggested 110

I do have brand new 6.123 eagle rods for sale if needed I I did not see if you had those yet the heads should be set up for the cam you are using they can still come ootb with springs for your set up

-
Back