What's a KILLER 318 on the street to you, all throttle, pump gas, stock stroke...

• 13 seconds

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • 12 seconds

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • 11 seconds

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • 10 seconds

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Oh

Oh Yeah, good luck getting traction! I'm surprised there aren't more B body small block strokers.
Those guys are so stuck on their wedge motors. If you have a 65 with a 361 it has to have a 440. (or a 512) I want a 64 Dodge and would be more than happy with a 273 or a Poly.

Most B body guys see there rides as heavy pigs that NEED a big block and there is none better than a 440 being it is the biggest.

While a B body can get a bit fat, I see a lot of the B body crowd cry and whine over there cars weight @ 3600 (+or-) as if the world is beating them up.

I run a stock 5.9 long block backed by a 727 & 3.55’s on 26-1/2 tires in my ‘79 B body Magnum with no complaints to it’s performance at all. The cars weight as listed on the reggie is 3675 lbs. Adding a 440 & a 727 adds a significant amount of weight, the performance potential is obviously much greater, but is it needed for a cruiser? They think so. I disagree.

By way of aluminum intake and headers, getting ride of what is not needed, A/C and a lot of wiring to the tune of approximately 10 lbs., the car just gets lighter and lighter.

For a pure driver, a stock 318 would be fine and one with some bolt on parts and a cam would be just great.

There are some nice Crane replacement roller lifters for these blocks. If I went with a hydraulic roller, I wouldn’t even bother with any shelf cams. I spoke with Ken Heard at Oregon Cam grinders recently on behalf of a friend and they have some hydraulic roller grinds that could really take advantage of a set of those head. Even more so if they’re of the CNC variety. And you can send them your old stock core if you don’t care to run a wide LSA. For $159 or so, I can tolerate about anything for a good regrind. Bullet/Ultradyne also shows some good lobe profiles on their master list, too.

-
Back