489 3rd memer gears

-

Ivoryk3ys78

Reaction score
My dad asked me to order for him the inner small sun gears for his 489 case that tie the outer larger gears that the axle splines go into together for posi. His are shot. I can't find them. I am not sure if someone coudl tell me exactly what to look for or a link to where I could purchase?

Thanks a lot

Did you try Dr. Diff? You will need to start a wanted thread if you are looking for used. Zimbrota Drivetrain is another good place to look.

used , a few open centers here available. Matter of fact, can anyone tell me if the spiders are different from one center to another '41'42'89? If no diff, I got a set I can send you if someone can tell me how to get the cross shaft out...huge screwdriver?

Well that would be cool if so. I know posi and open are different not sure on the different style of sure grip

used , a few open centers here available. Matter of fact, can anyone tell me if the spiders are different from one center to another '41'42'89? If no diff, I got a set I can send you if someone can tell me how to get the cross shaft out...huge screwdriver?

I got em out, just drive the roll pin out and hammer the F out of the cross shaft. dont know what the slot is for, maybe tells you where the flats are on the shaft? Ill post them up in the classified. Still have the red lead paint on them from the rebuilder.

We have an old 1 legged 741 case at the house. He checked that one and the gears are much bigger than they are in the 489 posi.

My dad asked me to order for him the inner small sun gears for his 489 case that tie the outer larger gears that the axle splines go into together for posi. His are shot. I can't find them. I am not sure if someone coudl tell me exactly what to look for or a link to where I could purchase?

Thanks a lot

since you have a 489 case you probably have a cone type carrier --- spider gears for those carriers are NOT available anywhere --- open carrier spider gears are NOT the same as the sure grip parts -- if you are lucky maybe someone on here has a damaged sure grip with good spider gears they can sell you.-- if a clutch type sure grip was installed into your case you can buy a complete internal kit to replace the stock damaged gears. --- since the spider gears are shot the case probably is too ,,, just buy a new sure grip carrier and install it .Auburn , True trac , Power lock type.

Yikes.. good to know. Thanks a lot.
since you have a 489 case you probably have a cone type carrier --- spider gears for those carriers are NOT available anywhere --- open carrier spider gears are NOT the same as the sure grip parts -- if you are lucky maybe someone on here has a damaged sure grip with good spider gears they can sell you.-- if a clutch type sure grip was installed into your case you can buy a complete internal kit to replace the stock damaged gears. --- since the spider gears are shot the case probably is too ,,, just buy a new sure grip carrier and install it .Auburn , True trac , Power lock type.

-
Back