489 housing spline count??

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
I am currently running an 8 ¾ with a 489 case, 7260 yoke. I want to upgrade driveshaft and both yokes, when I get slicks for the first time on this car I fear snapping a drive or yoke. What is the spline count of a 489 setup? I do not know as i did not build the chunk, and have never had one apart to know.Do you think a 7290 yoke will suffice, or go for the gold with a 1350? Lots of low end grunt with the setup below, but the car is very light, so that reduces a lot of problems with the possible snapping.

415 stroker
904 with a low gear set
3:55 gears in the 8 ¾
Will soon have 26 x 8 slicks.

It could be 10 spline or 29 spline. You won't know for certain until you pull it apart. Are the gears aftermarket? I think Richmond gears are usually 10 spline, but I'm not 100%. If you're changing the yoke, you'll want to replace the crush sleeve with a new one, or an eliminator, unless it already has an eliminator.

Of course, now that I've said that, there will be 200 posts of people arguing about the sleeve.

Well we will squash the crush sleeve delema here: I will get a new one!!
(I saw all the bickering on that topic)

So two possible spline counts...
I do not know the make of the gear inside...
Would a 7290 yoke live with sticky tires? I dont know the capabilities of this yoke, my understanding is that it is standard Mopar large yoke.

Even the small yoke will live with slicks. The larger ones will be more durable. Save your money and just use the large mopar unit. Spend your money on the eliminator. $30 from Dr. Diff

I have heard the small yokes CAN live with slicks, but i'm tired of breaking something on the car once a month or so, although I am weeding out all the weak links!! And yes, an eliminator is in the budget when I do this.

Well, I was being optimistic...

Anyway, a 7290 and a 1350 joint are the same length, but the 1350 cap is .062" larger. It's probably not a huge difference in strength.

I'd personally make my decision on which pinion yoke is cheaper for a good quality yoke with u-bolt attachment instead of the stock straps.

That is some good info. I think I would feel all warm and safe with the 7290. About 110 bucks for the front or rear is what i'm finding.

Thanks for the input!!!

Stroker you can determine what spline count it is by what socket fits the pinion nut. The 10 spline pinion takes a 1-1/8" socket and the 29 spline takes a 1-1/4" socket.

I,ve been running the 7260/7290 crossover u-joints with my 904/410c.i with a spool(4.30 gears).I also run 29x12x15 hoosier slicks out back and have made 140 passes with no problems.I run anywhere from 10.80,s -11.10,s.Never a u-joint problem.Oh and I have the 29 spline yoke.

Great tip fishy68..thanks

I,ve been running the 7260/7290 crossover u-joints with my 904/410c.i with a spool(4.30 gears).I also run 29x12x15 hoosier slicks out back and have made 140 passes with no problems.I run anywhere from 10.80,s -11.10,s.Never a u-joint problem.Oh and I have the 29 spline yoke.

Great tip fishy68..thanks

Wow, I know you have a stout combo, I have read all about it. Thats pretty cool the small yoke has survived, kinda makes me just want to put my money elswhere. Or at least get a nicer driveshaft.

Perfect answer, thank ya much sir!

Your welcome :hello2:

Wow, I know you have a stout combo, I have read all about it. Thats pretty cool the small yoke has survived, kinda makes me just want to put my money elswhere. Or at least get a nicer driveshaft.

Scott's build is great testimony of just how tough the 7260 really is.

I have heard the small yokes CAN live with slicks, but i'm tired of breaking something on the car once a month or so, although I am weeding out all the weak links!! And yes, an eliminator is in the budget when I do this.
The 7260 is what I use at the track....both front and rear. Just get a good quality one like a Spicer.

-
Back