4sp RB in a SB/Auto car?

-

THEWHITEZOMBIE

Mopars an Heavy Metal
Reaction score
whats involved in putting a 4 speed behind a RB in a 72 dart that was an SB/auto?id like to know every thing an anything involved!thanks MIKEY

Let's see...... You will need for sure...... An RB engine,4 speed a-body trans with shifter and linkage, bellhousing with flywheel,disc,pressure plate, release bearing and fork that all match, engine mounts and headers (Schumacher makes good ones that will fit your k-member), pulleys and brackets for the engine, H.D radiator, clutch/brake pedal assembly,clutch rod and bellcrank, pivot mounts on frame and bellhousing,adj. link to fork,and a shifter tunnel hump. You also must alter your engine wiring harness to extend the coil wires. This is the bare minimum. You must have an 8-3/4 rear diff. and drive shaft at a minimum for strength. Other considerations would be 73-76 a-body discs and bbp axles for the rear, a 8-3/4sure grip, H.D. torsion bars, upgrade your fuel system to 3/8 or bigger all the way from the tank, steering column collar if yours is column auto, reverse light for dash electronic ignition, hood clearance issues,electric fuel pump..... Maybe get ahold of Brewer's or Passon performance or maybe tti exhaust for more info. and suggestions. good luck. Hope this helps. Tom.

thanks,well the motor is in the car now 69hp 440 with a 727 its got 2" fenderwells in the car now with no assory drives on the motor with a a DC K-member,the rear end is soon to be ordered dana from moser!

With the A-body short tail shaft trannies becoming scarce you do have the option of using the long tailshaft tranny from a B/E body if you do not mind a little extra fabrication work. I have one in my 68 Barracuda.

Of course the two shifter mounting pads on the B/E bdy tranny are not in the right place but by fabing up an adapter plate that mounts to the rear mount and will position the shifter forward approx 9" and to the drivers side about 1" the shifter wil come through the hump in the floor in the same place. I used 1/2" alumium plate to make mine. The drive shaft will need to be shortened, but with a 727 you may be not need to. The other minor annoyance is one of the bosses on the front shifter mount will just contact the torsion bar crossmember. Either dent the cross member or cut the boss off.

Maybe try bigblock dart.com there's more guys there that have done this swap.

-
Back