5.1 gears, anyone?

-

elevensies

Reaction score
im looking to change the 3.55 in my rear, to something wild,
i have an option of a 5.1 richmond, and im worried that as its a 1/8th mile gear ratio, how it would work real time on a 1/4 strip

anyone have experience of real time on this, i know by the calculators im up in the revs, but...... i would like real advice.
oh, and im on 26.2'' hoosiers

..........It really depends on ur car and its combo, we need more info.....kim..........u should be able to get 4.88s or 4.56s......................kim.....

I ran a set of 5:12's I was given,, I would go thru the lites at 6700 rpm,, with my finger's crossed every time.. (factory balancing)..

Can't remember how tall the 8" slicks were..

Buddy had a set of them....think they actually might have been 6:17's if such an animal ever existed. He had a 10k rpm 283 SBC, car had a stick with a 3:1 first gear and 28" or so slicks. Launch was interesting. Clutch out and back in for second pretty much instantly...it was a quarter mile car....

I had a set of 456 gears with a built 273 and a 4 speed in a 66 barracuda I used to own and it was wound up pretty tight at the end of the 1/4 but it was in the mid 1980s and I cant remember the size tire I was running but it sure did make that barracuda a quick ride only problem I had was push rods blowing through the the rocker arm twice from the high rpms,,won a lot of money street racing that car in sw fla back then and wish I never sold that car oh well

I bet mechanical rockers would have held up better. I bounced the needle off my 7000 RPM tach a few times on my 273-4bbl. Tight motors. Was a crazy ride on bias ply Sears tires!

Give us your times/mph with the 3.55's.....

My bud with a "5" gear in a 340 E body, and a 28" tire, went 108mph clearing the traps just about 7k in the quarter.

It really depends on what your engine can take and how much power your combo is making?

I ran a 71 Scamp 446 BB with 5.13 gears and would go thru the traps a 7000 rpm. I replaced them with 4.88 and the car went faster.

I've looked further into this, 5.10 is not for me, even with light street use it will be a pain.

Cheers guys for the advice

I had a 396 with 4.88's. It would red line in high gear as fast as you could shift it.. Never again.

I had a 396 with 4.88's. It would red line in high gear as fast as you could shift it.. Never again.

Same here back in 1974 I built a 67 Camaro with a 396 tunnel ram and two 600 Holleys with 4.88's and 4 speed. Sucked for a cruiser but oh was it a hand full ripping through the gears!

I run a 5:42 rear gear with a 29 x 10.5 wide with a Doug Nash 5 spd with a 1-1 high gear it hits 7200 at the end of the 1/4

-
Back