5.7 6.1 port differences

-

David Flowers

Reaction score
anyone have and pictures of the different ports on the hemi heads?
im just curious, ill probably just order some exhaust manifold gaskets and size them up that way. but would just like to know exactly how many different port revisions there are?

there were only 5.7 port and 6.1 ports from 03 to 08 they were the same on all years (per given motor) in 09 the ports of the 5.7 became the same as the 6.1. It is called the eagle motor. Due to port size and going to a closed chamber head the power was increased from 345 to 390hp. Bassically the 08 and older 5.7 had a rectangle ports and the 6.1 had a square port. Or vice versa (i can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm tired too so it could be flipped) then in 09 the ports became the same for 6.1 and 5.7. I hope my ramblings made sense to you.

Awsome artical Martin, does anybody know if the bult locations around the ports are the same?

yes the bolt pattern is the same. It never changed on the 5.7 or the 6.1. Everything from 03 to 2011 will interchange (as far as bolting together)

Here is a pic of a 5.7 head getting ported to 6.1 port.

Attachments

• 5.7 head for 6.1 intakemodified.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 329
I hear that hemi heads are picky and itdoesnt take much to slow the velocity down. But I'm not an expert. Look up inertia motorsports. Give them a call and stu will explain it I'm sure.

To my understanding the older transmissions will bolt up but you need to add a spacer which is available in kit form. It really doesnt look that hard to do the swap if you are just going to run naturally asperated, either efi or carb. the trouble im going to have is running a twin turbo set up with efi and aftermarket ems for controll. I have my enging but i am still in the planning stages. fabbing up headers for the turbos and getting everything plummed will be a fun challenge, then comes tuning it to run.....

-
Back