5.7 Carb'd Swap on a Reasonable Budget?

-

Bighead440

Reaction score
Kinda late getting into this mod Hemi thing, but when I bought my 300s 5.7L, and LOVED it, it got me thinking about a daily-driver swap into an older chassis. I have a complete (less wiring and belt-powered accessories) 2005 truck 5.7 (rear sump pan) from a mis-diagnosed truck at a nearby shop (needed a fuel pump, the shop condemned the motor and swapped it first!) that the owner swore was running mint. I have already repaired a 2005 Magnum R/T that dropped a valve seat, so I'm aware of that Achilles heel. My thoughts are what I've done in the past with good results: deglaze and re-ring with new bearings and fresh heads and cam/intake/exhaust upgrades. I see a dual plane carb'd intake is available (OCP?) and I already caught the HEMI6 MSD box and harness on sale at Summit. The truck Hemi manifolds suck but I see SRT shortys on Ebay occasionally and pass-car cast manifolds everywhere pretty cheap, so with my 400hp-ish flywheel HP goal, those might work. My questions are: at this level, would I be safe just installing upgraded-seat early heads or should I spring for Eagle heads? If I took the cheapest route here I could possibly justify a piston upgrade, and if so, what is the best choice for a little more compression and valve relief for a non-stroker? Being a traditional V-8 rodder, I want a tighter LSA cam for the sound and torque production with a 750ish CFM carb. I'm thinking a little less than 230*@.050" intake duration and 110*LSA or less. Thoughts?

I'll shoot some when I get back to the shop. It's basically a complete, used 5.7 Hemi truck engine at this point. Just amassing parts and getting input/doing my research. I built that one 2005 R/T engine 100% stock after dropping a seat, and it ran great. This one I want to run a carb and a lopey cam in a retrofit swap.

The only single carb intake I know of is the super super mighty crazy expensive MP intake.
Edelbrock makes a reasonable priced dual quad for a pair of Carters. IIRC....

2017-02-20 22.08.32.jpg
2017-02-20 22.08.42.jpg
2017-02-20 22.08.53.jpg
2017-02-20 22.09.12.jpg
2017-02-23 19.27.26.jpg
2017-02-23 19.27.38.jpg

You'll definitely need to swap pistons if you plan on a tighter LSA. You run outta room real fast with these. Putting Eagles on a stock early shortblock will give you a significany boost in compression. Like around 12-1. I forget the company (DSS Racing or DSX Racing?), they advertise on ebag. They have forged pistons for the gen 3 at a decent price. Starting at 600. The OCP intake should be a soild performer. Prefix(formerly Arrow Racing) makes a short runner single plane. I have this one. Works very well. Hood clearance is still a big issue.

You'll definitely need to swap pistons if you plan on a tighter LSA. You run outta room real fast with these. Putting Eagles on a stock early shortblock will give you a significany boost in compression. Like around 12-1. I forget the company (DSS Racing or DSX Racing?), they advertise on ebag. They have forged pistons for the gen 3 at a decent price. Starting at 600. The OCP intake should be a soild performer. Prefix(formerly Arrow Racing) makes a short runner single plane. I have this one. Works very well. Hood clearance is still a big issue.

Thanks for the info @Prefix! I have decided that 112 is maybe the LSA I want but the duration and lift will certainly cause issues. I like the DSS pistons, and I guess I'll go flat-top if I get small chamber heads. I was thinking a 4cc dome with big chamber heads and valve reliefs.

Well, I scored a OCP intake (dual plane, carbureted), and I have a 750 Street Demon (TQ style, phenolic center) carb, so ignition (MSD6) and induction are covered. Bought some PAC-upgraded 6.1 heads (smaller chambers/bigger ports & valves), so now I can go up to .600"plus on lift. Just trying to finalize a cam grind so I can finally select the amount of piston dome (compression). I think it's gonna be a drop-in DSS piston/ring set from Summit, just need to examine the bores good. My instincts are warning me to say conservative, with all the good Hemi flow available, so I was thinking a 219/227* .600/.575" 112*LSA cam from Howards. Then a 234/238* .585" 112*LSA shows up cheap, lightly used... Uggh

Well, that’s all just power band the duration numbers. Question is, does it fit the plan?

Well, that’s all just power band the duration numbers. Question is, does it fit the plan?

It really doesn't, but I could alter the gear ratio some. I wanted to retain 3.55 gears with a 727 trans and maybe 2500 stall. I could always go 3.91s and/or a 3000 stall if needed. One of my problems is that I'm unfamiliar with the characteristics of a Gen 3 when you get up there in duration. My 5.7L 300s is crazy quick off the line, all stock, with a 2.62 rear gear and 20" wheels, etc. I know a stock one with short timing is a torque monster, and all the dyno tests I've seen on EFI engines (long manifold runners) with 260/268/273 etc. Comp cams show torque taking a pretty big hit with an increase in duration. I think I better err small, to avoid a 318 or 383-like loss in torque with the bigger cam listed. I know it will rev as high as I'll need with the small cam, just might limit peak numbers.

It really doesn't, but I could alter the gear ratio some. I wanted to retain 3.55 gears with a 727 trans and maybe 2500 stall. I could always go 3.91s and/or a 3000 stall if needed. One of my problems is that I'm unfamiliar with the characteristics of a Gen 3 when you get up there in duration. My 5.7L 300s is crazy quick off the line, all stock, with a 2.62 rear gear and 20" wheels, etc. I know a stock one with short timing is a torque monster, and all the dyno tests I've seen on EFI engines (long manifold runners) with 260/268/273 etc. Comp cams show torque taking a pretty big hit with an increase in duration. I think I better err small, to avoid a 318 or 383-like loss in torque with the bigger cam listed. I know it will rev as high as I'll need with the small cam, just might limit peak numbers.
You will want more converter than 2500. My swap has a 727 and 3.55 and I’m using a 2400-2600 B&M and it’s tight with the stock cam. Have a 28-3200 coming for it.

-
Back