5.7 Hemi in a Duster

-
good points...........

Yes, our target goal of $1650 is realistic for a Forged assemb.

5.7 heads are not rare and neither are the blocks...............

The oil pan is pricey for now, one company has a monopoly on headers, and there is only one intake manifold............

So, it will take time to get some of the other players involved...............but I hope people see us run this thing and are impressed when we tell them its 90% all Mopar and the stuff is just sitting around!

I think they'll be MORE impressed when you tell them their 318 / 340 starter, their 318 / 340 tranny, and all their acceossories just bolt right up!

PS..........

its true................the P7 and the late model HEMI are just a hair away from one another.

JohnnyJet said:
OK so no 4 speed. Got to be auto, right.

Not sure what ya mean, but if your asking about having a manual with a new hemi, its possible. Im gonna be using a tko 5 speed with mine. As far as someone with a bellhousing for a four speed that will fit the new hemis, i think a small block four speed should bolt up to it, it does with the small block automatics. If it wont someone will eventually make one.

Mom, you misread me on all kinds of levels. I dont ever buy crate engines. I wouldnt buy one from you either. They are a waste of time IMO, because I can control everything in my builds (and my customers'), and the first thing I'll do is tear it apart and make sure all is up to my picky level. The pistons alone as far as I have found ar $800, and a problem in factory ones with boost or a core with a scored bore. Also, I wouldnt put a new hemi in my car. Not in my Neon for sure, and not in my towing truck. My '70 Cuda will get a 426 Hemi thank you, when the 440 gets yanked again. Because it's worthmore that way. But, I have been thinking about a new 5.7 in my '87 Dodge 600 turbo convertible. And I have a '72 Demon project looming. I dont think it would be a big problem to get it in either. The problem is getting it to run. Get me a programable interface/PCM, and I'll find it much easier to install. I am not an electrician. I can wire anything given time, and have no concerns saying I could adapt another makers controls to the Hemi engine platform to run it at the level I would expect. I have FAST and DFI experience, plus years of ASE Master Tech to fall back on should I get too far over my head. The systems I worked with (like 5+ years old now) are far beyond what MP "limp in mode" systems currently sold are. I want tunability. I want engine only controls. You question regarding heads. No, off the shelf, no. But entertaining the notion of rebuilding from a core engine an LA or Magnum, dollar for dollar. I can have 330+ heads on it surpasing 550hp NA for less than your $7500, and it will bolt right in with parts store stuff, and cheap headers, and run with a points ignition if I need it to. You need that $7500 engine, the headers, a carburetor, the controller for the ignition, and the mounting provisions. A ten second ride? No big deal. Lighter on the nose than an LA? Aluminum top ends, radiator, etc will get me the same weight. A "guy like me is one of your nightmares". I have done and can do anything, chassis, bodies, engines, transmissions, rears, wiring, suspension... But I understand the financial realities of an entire package much better apparently. You keep at it tho. You have good ideas and obvious interest and drive, but there are always 10 ways to the same end. And the main denominator is money. I'm trying to buy the warranty core from my buddy's Hemi Ram. It started knocking at 56K, with dealer servicing. Must be because it's such a strong package...right :D.

Jeez why the anger? Someone must have the case of the mondays or been drinking HaterAde all day.

Jason

A core block w/ heads isn't $5000..................maybe near you, but a guy like you would just buy the crate motor.

Thats why hes a little ticked, I dont blame him. I think giving a little respect might be useful for you around here MomsR/t. Last I remember, he didnt say a word bout you? Yeah, I re-read the post and it doesnt make a single comment about you.. Wow, if the forums are gonna start gettin childish I guess I should find somewhere else to go.

Ryan

Ok just a note, factory pistons for new hemis are $800, but you also get the connecting rods for that price. Also just to clear some anti "new hemi" comments. You might have a friend who has had some issues with his Ram, but i bet back in the 60s you could hear the same stuff but instead of "my buddies hemi is knocking " youd here "my buddies 273 is nocking". So before we trash the new hemi, lets think about what were saying. If ya dont like it fine, if your not gonna put one in your car fine, but dont make it out as if anyone putting one into their car is foolish.

On the other hand if someone has made comments saying anyone using an LA sb engine as being foolish, then thats wrong as well. If i was one of them then im sorry.

I don't know where you can find small block heads that flow like that, when Big-block guys would be happy to find a head that flows 330 cfm, only the maxed out indy heads do that. you will more likely be in the 220 cfm range with a small block. I think the new hemi is superior to any chrysler motor ever built, especially the old hemi. The only thing holding them back right now is the ignition system, once there is an easy to use system, then the rest of the aftermarket parts will follow.

Tom Hoover wanted to move the cam position more in line with what the new Hemi's have for the 426, But Chrysler was dead stuck on haveing part interchangabilty so they wouldn't go for it. I read that in an artical not too long ago when he was commenting about the new Hemi design. I do agree with Flyboy01, The ignition is the biggest stepping stone with the new Hemis.... lick that and the world will be ours! Right now I'm just gearing up to beat the S&!t out of the new Tundras.

If the bugs are work out on the ignition soon, I'd luv to put a 6.1 in my 69 Dart. Sign me up!!

MoparPowa said:
Thats why hes a little ticked, I dont blame him. I think giving a little respect might be useful for you around here MomsR/t. Last I remember, he didnt say a word bout you? Yeah, I re-read the post and it doesnt make a single comment about you.. Wow, if the forums are gonna start gettin childish I guess I should find somewhere else to go.

Ryan

I'm not ticked at all.................and I don't know where the respect thing comes in? The thread is about a 3rd Gen HEMI in an old car................and thats what I'm speaking of.

As for USCG....................we are using his 67 Barrcuda as a project for some proto-type parts..............

As for your claims of a $7500 10 second ride (small block)............and &800 pistons......................I dunno where you get those numbers. I also am unsure how your getting 330 cfm @ .600 lift w/ 28" of water?

We are getting those numbers with the STOCK 2.00 intake valve...........every drag racer in Houston we have contact with (thru the shop) is AMAZED! You're not............

I don't know where the disconnect is, but I am sorry if you disapprove...........see you at the track.

FOr those interested......................we'll be post regularly and will keep everyone informed.

mullinax95 said:
Now that's more like it. These folks set you up with all you need it seems. Monster horsepower and torque just send the money.

Site is stale not updated sense b4 march 06 :wack: be careful.

Would love to work with this motor as soon as I get my shop up and running but I think I will stick to LAs at first.

MomsR/T said:
I'm not ticked at all.................and I don't know where the respect thing comes in? The thread is about a 3rd Gen HEMI in an old car................and thats what I'm speaking of.

As for USCG....................we are using his 67 Barrcuda as a project for some proto-type parts..............

As for your claims of a $7500 10 second ride (small block)............and &800 pistons......................I dunno where you get those numbers. I also am unsure how your getting 330 cfm @ .600 lift w/ 28" of water?

We are getting those numbers with the STOCK 2.00 intake valve...........every drag racer in Houston we have contact with (thru the shop) is AMAZED! You're not............

I don't know where the disconnect is, but I am sorry if you disapprove...........see you at the track.

FOr those interested......................we'll be post regularly and will keep everyone informed.

I was referring to the comment you made about moper.

He starts his post by saying "Please dont get me wrong."

You consider his words and decide to respond with a childish comment like this.. "A core block w/ heads isn't $5000..................maybe near you, but a guy like you would just buy the crate motor."

Rest assured a 'guy like you' wont be seeing any of my money with an attitude like that.

Ryan

then i think you misunderstood...........

Consider this: If a core was $5000 around him, why wouldn't he "just buy a crate motor" considering the crate motor would come w/ forged rods (compared to the powdered), forged pistons (compared to cast), forged crank (compared to cast), carb intake, ported heads and a cam for about $7500.

You misunderstodd the intention of the statement...........

There was no attitude............it was a statement considering the financial aspect of the situation.

I guess I misunderstood your tone, typically people would word that statement differently but Ill let that go.. its not like its my place to judge anyone here anyhow. Id consider everyones ideas around here, even those who would rather build their engine on their own, I know I would.

Ryan

Sorry if I came across wrong...............when I read it as you describe, I see where you are coming from..........not my intention at all.

I hope you stay in touch with us and watch with interest.

Thanks for correcting my poor choice of words; good intent with bad exicution. :thumbup:

-
Back