5.7 Hemi in a Duster

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
I want to put a 5.7 hemi in my 73 Duster, has any one done it amd what do I need,...............WILL IT FIT bolted to a 4 speed?????????????

Thanks for the Help guys

His question was about the 4 speed and with the stock 4 speed you will not have the crank position mount.

Why don't you use the Keisler 6-speed kit? I'm not sure if that will work for the 5.7 or just the 6.1, though. ??? Someone on either this site or BigBlockDart is doing that right now. Sorry I can't be of more help, just thought I'd plant the seed...

I'm sure it can be done if you have the right equipment and tools. If Hot Rod has already done it then their article would be more than helpful to pull it off. They always have a list of company's parts and such at the end of each article so that would be the places to start looking.

I glanced at the Hot Rod article, seems to me its a bit of work to get it done. If and when a Ill just go with a 340 or 360.

I have an 85 Dodge 600 Turbo convertible sitting in my yard right now. I keep having thoughts of a 5.7L Hemi with an automatic in it. Making it RWD, but trying to keep it all under hood. I need to stop thinking that way...lol.

JohnnyJet said:
I glanced at the Hot Rod article, seems to me its a bit of work to get it done. If and when a Ill just go with a 340 or 360.

Actually you can produce more horsepower and torque more than likely form a 340 or 360 but to have fuel injection and the benefits that come with a newer motor with the computer installed is great. I haven't seen the Hot Rod article but was wondering if they installed catalytic converters,fuel pump and all that comes with the 5.7 to make it operate correctly.

mullinax95 said:
Actually you can produce more horsepower and torque more than likely form a 340 or 360 but to have fuel injection and the benefits that come with a newer motor with the computer installed is great. I haven't seen the Hot Rod article but was wondering if they installed catalytic converters,fuel pump and all that comes with the 5.7 to make it operate correctly.

Oh really?

What type of hp / trq numbers do you think you can get out of a 5.7 / 6.1 HEMI?

I don't feel the answer is with computers and EFI / DFI...........try carb-ed

I read an artical where thy took a crate 5.7 ( the same thing that comes in the trucks), eliminated the rev limiter, put on long tube headers, and changed the cam.... 480HP. I'll be happy when my truck is making those numbers.

that was done w/ a truck manifold......................sub par

it was also done w/ stock heads and a Comp 273 cam.............improvement to be made there...........IN SPADES!

So imagin a 450 hp combo w/ a 150 shot at 300 lbs lighter than a 440. :headbang:

Personaly I'm keeping my cuda all stock and easy to work with, My next project will get some of the hi-tech stuff... It'll get a HEMI, rated in CID not Ltrs. I wouldn't through out the idea of droping a new Hemi in an A-body though, That would be cool. Of course any A-Body is cool as long as it's a Mopar!

[QUOTE='68-340-S]Personaly I'm keeping my cuda all stock and easy to work with, My next project will get some of the hi-tech stuff... It'll get a HEMI, rated in CID not Ltrs. I wouldn't through out the idea of droping a new Hemi in an A-body though, That would be cool. Of course any A-Body is cool as long as it's a Mopar![/QUOTE]

thats what's so funny..........this IS easy to work with.

A 5.7 HEMI is a 345 while the 6.1 is a 370...................

They use shaft rocker system..............same diameter as the 340 shafts......

The water pump comes right off with about 4 bolts and is on the timing cover......

The onlything "hard" is a system we are working on so you can keep the coil packs and fire them off with the use of a ign signal from a sensor "crank trigger sensor". Once we make it w/ harness, you'll be able to advance or retard timing and even retard timing w/ nitrous.

This motor is unreal............slightly ported 5.7 heads are flowing 330-ish w/ a 2.00" valve @ .600 and 6.1's flowing 360-ish w/ 2.08" valve @ .600

These are STOCK valves by the way............

You use your old starter...........stock flex plate............and a 727 / 904 bolts right up.

A mild build of a 5.7 will net 450 rwhp with a 6500 redline and another 60 or so rwhp w/ the 6.1

Like I said in the welcome area.................we are working on this now....................a kit so people can drop this right in.................we'll offer all the parts needed to include accessory brakets, radiator, and ign box.

MomsR/T said:
Oh really?

What type of hp / trq numbers do you think you can get out of a 5.7 / 6.1 HEMI?

I don't feel the answer is with computers and EFI / DFI...........try carb-ed

I was talking about a bone stock 5.7 not a carb-ed version of a 5.7 or 6.1. When you slab on a carb and do away with the computers and EFI you're taking away instead of adding. I would much rather have a fuel injected Hemi any day of the week rather than a old style carburetor if I was going to install one of the motors (5.7) in my cuda.

MomsR/T said:
thats what's so funny..........this IS easy to work with.

A 5.7 HEMI is a 345 while the 6.1 is a 370...................

They use shaft rocker system..............same diameter as the 340 shafts......

The water pump comes right off with about 4 bolts and is on the timing cover......

The onlything "hard" is a system we are working on so you can keep the coil packs and fire them off with the use of a ign signal from a sensor "crank trigger sensor". Once we make it w/ harness, you'll be able to advance or retard timing and even retard timing w/ nitrous.

This motor is unreal............slightly ported 5.7 heads are flowing 330-ish w/ a 2.00" valve @ .600 and 6.1's flowing 360-ish w/ 2.08" valve @ .600

These are STOCK valves by the way............

You use your old starter...........stock flex plate............and a 727 / 904 bolts right up.

A mild build of a 5.7 will net 450 rwhp with a 6500 redline and another 60 or so rwhp w/ the 6.1

Like I said in the welcome area.................we are working on this now....................a kit so people can drop this right in.................we'll offer all the parts needed to include accessory brakets, radiator, and ign box.

why the hell did i have to read this??? its more money i will have to spend... how cool is it that i would be able to keep my 904..

Im gonna go with a stock truck 5.7 in my 64 dart convertible. Im even gonna go with the factory computer. I found a shop that has a gas tank with the pump inside that matches the shape of the gas tank from darts. I havent got my hot rod magazine yet, but i cant wait to see the artical, that said a t56 6 speed is a bigger tranny then the tko 5 speed, and requires some skill to get it in. If you want to save a little, you could keep your automatic. it will bolt up to a new hemi. I just want a 5 speed so my car will feel abit like a lil sports car. Im not sure why they went with catalytic converters, unless there is some silly law out on the west coast? Maybe they want to "go green" with this car, not only will it go fast, but itll save the planet while doing it. :)
i usually get my magazine way before this, i hope they didnt forget me. :???:

I understand that SOME want to keep the EFI............

We will work for stand alone EFI / DFI units as we get better at fitting it in the frame rails...........there are alot of loose ends to tie up first: cooling, accessory brackets, and ign. harness to name a few.

There is nothing wrong w/ carbs now, so I don't think its "stepping back".......

Dodge has given us an chance to use a HEMI styled head that flows what most big blocks flow, w/ shaft rocker system, that is fully capable to intergrate within our current tranny means................

Do the math.................a 4500 lb LX car w/ a 100 shot and SMALL heads / cam is running 12.0 @ 118 - 120 mph @ +600 DA w/ 2.00 60' times.

With the same chitty 60' times, in a 2500 lb car, we would expect it to run 10.5's...............

Given the fact that in these older cars we can dial in the suspension, we should be able to nail a 1.4 60' foot; this changes our 10.5 into a 9.75

Now consider that an LX driveline steals .18 thru the drive line while the SAME HEMI in a 727 w/ a 8 3/4 will steal about .12

This turns our 9.75 into a 9.6

Then consider the LX CAN NOT BE TUNED.....................we are leaving about 20hp on the table...............

Also remember we're still making power when we hit our 6200rpm redline............DYNO PROVEN!

So lets re-cap............

We have a STOCK BOTTOM END, 2500 lb A-Body w/ 727 and an 8 3/4 running a good suspension and a trans brake, a 100 shot of dope, nailing 1.4 60' times running 9.3 - 9.5 1/4 mile times @ about 124 - 126 MPH

ARE YOU FREEK'IN KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?

The carb will not hold us back.......................

Truth be told, the stock computer, the current late model suspensions, and the massive weights are holding us back.

Take another look and reconsider.................

Please dont get me wrong. I like that Mopar developed an engine like the new hemi. but the only thing Hemi about it is the emblems. Modern, yes. Remotley base of any old tech...Only the rocker shafts apparently. The heads flow well. Time does that for engineers. But a 330cfm smallblock head is not hard to find, and reasonable when you figure on buying a JY 5.7 w/30K miles for $5K. That's what they are around me. And prices like $800-900 for pistons will keep the new hemis (at least modified ones) low on my list for a while. I wouldnt sweat developing any more than the controller and wiring harness right now. find the real niche. Other companies have headers, oil pans, mounts, etc. We need a programmable PCM...preferably with some sort of interface for old car gages. That, would be cool.

moper said:
Please dont get me wrong. I like that Mopar developed an engine like the new hemi. but the only thing Hemi about it is the emblems. Modern, yes. Remotley base of any old tech...Only the rocker shafts apparently. The heads flow well. Time does that for engineers. But a 330cfm smallblock head is not hard to find, and reasonable when you figure on buying a JY 5.7 w/30K miles for $5K. That's what they are around me. And prices like $800-900 for pistons will keep the new hemis (at least modified ones) low on my list for a while. I wouldnt sweat developing any more than the controller and wiring harness right now. find the real niche. Other companies have headers, oil pans, mounts, etc. We need a programmable PCM...preferably with some sort of interface for old car gages. That, would be cool.

If you won't put the motor into your car, why would we develop a high high dollar interface?

Our tentative price for a FULLY forged rotating assemb. (forged crank, forged rods, and forged pistons w/ pins, ARP rod bolts, rings, and bearings) is about $1650 - ish

The intake is $550...............for NOW!

A core block w/ heads isn't $5000..................maybe near you, but a guy like you would just buy the crate motor.

We hope to offer a crate motor ready to go making 500hp (NA) for about $7500.

With our brackets, you use your existing wiring harness, your alt., your pwr str.

Its a plug and play.................

BTW...............you can buy off the shelf, stock heads w/ mild port that flow 330 @ .600?

Where?

Name one?

My 392 Ford, solid roller, w/ 11.8:1 static, is using TFS-R heads w/ 2.08 intake valve and is only flowing 310 - 318 - ish @ .600

And that's a RACE HEAD runing low 9's in a 2900 lb notch back.............

Hell, you can run the stock bottom end 5.7 HEMI crate from us and we'll warrenty it for 400 hp all day long!

bottom line is this..............

We're moving ahead and are doing 3 cars............

67 Barracuda
67 Charger
74 Gremlin

The Barracuda will be a street brawler.............a low 10 second / high 9 second street car with inspection and everything.................inexpensive, easy to build, weekend car.

The Charger is a cruizer.............still run 11's all day long but has everything else original..........

The Gremlin will be super light, high high powered car runing XX.XX and will be our shootout car.................we'll be running a 6.1 in it and it will be run at the MOPAR Nationals

All carb cars.................nothing fancy.......................anyone can do this and we hope it gets exposer...............

I just don't know where else you can buy / build a 9-second motor this cheap.

The one reason why ill stick with the factory computer is right now most after market ones are programable and run around $2000. If after market stuff gets cheaper id go that route. I know the new hemi yearns for more at 5800rpm, but im ok with that for now. With forged parts, i think itd be cool (and safe) to raise the rev limiter, but when i go to get a 5.7 im gonna be using a stock truck hemi, with everything already in it.
I will say this, if your gonna be selling forged parts for these new hemis for $1500, thats a good deal. Most after market forged parts ive found were way higher then this. One site wanted $1500 for the rods alone, however they were shot penned.
Also guys listen up, You can get used hemis for cheaper them $5000. You can get a new 5.7 truck hemi for around $6000 from S&P, although this is just the engine, youll still need a few things. This isnt the Mopar crate motor, this is a replacement engine for rams.
As far as flow on these hemi heads, the articals ive read said they are compairable to Nascar heads. Not my words, read it in Popular Hot Rodding a few years back.
This swap isnt for everyone, but i think if you compare the Mopar crate 300 and 380 engines with a stock truck hemi youll find that the old LA series engine has been worked over to get those HP numbers and that the Hemi with its stock cam will put out the 380's numbers with a set of headers. Ill say this, you dont need some of the "stuff" you need to put a hemi in your car if ya go 318/340/360, but your also not gonna get the numbers youll get with a new hemi.
If your trying to drag race on the cheap, i can see how a new hemi isnt gonna help ya out right now, but in time 318 and 360s are gonna be harder to find then 5.7s, so what will happen then?

-
Back