5.7 hemi install from the bottom up

-

dartman 440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
im getting ready to do the trial fit and cut for the trans tunnel , is it possible to bring the engine up from under the car like the factory did , but with the headers on ? i am using the tti headers and the tti mounts and i will have the trans mounted to the engine as well ? any thoughts or concerns would be greatly appreciated, the dr header looks like it might not make it , thanks ed :glasses7:

Yes- you can drop the k member, raise the car on a lift, mount the motor/tranny/headers to the k member, and then set the car back down on the motor/tranny/headers/k member.

First time I put my motor in I did it with the motor and tranny together. I had to drop the k member to get it to fit (scattershield bellhousing vs tranny tunnel was the issue). Second time I put the hemi in I put it in with just the engine/flywheel/clutch, and then the bellhousing, followed by the tranny/hydraulic clutch throwout/slave.

If I had a lift, I would pull the k member everytime I had to pull the motor.

This is the best way to do it and the only way I could get my 5.7 in the duster,Once you do it this way you will always do it that way--Steve

It's super simple coming up from the bottom. I have a build thread ( Cuda SRT8 ) that shows the specialized cart I built that holds my AlterKtion K member, the engine bolted to it and the scattershield / transmission bolted to the engine and supported at the back of the cart.

I built some brackets w/cross bar that bolts to the frame where the bumper brackets go and I raise the front of the car with my cherry picker (engine hoist). The engine on cart just rolls underneath and I lower the front end down around it. It's very easily a one man job.

I plan to use this method any time I may need to pull any part of the front drivetrain. Even to replace the clutch...

LOL-Cuda , We are about to pull ours out to do another clutch !!!! 3rd one in three years !!!! Going RXT ceramic this time and it better be the LAST time for a few years,1st one single disc-Burnt it right up-2nd one RST Fried-3rd one Ceramic

is there a rule of thumb for setting the height of the trans mount , i will have the engine in with the k frame bolts but i will not have the rearend in at this time , is there any sort of base line . or does anyone have a dimension for me to use as a guideline ? thanks ed

What trans are you running? Stock location and rear crossmember should work fine for stock pieces, unless something else has been modfiied. Ran my 4 speed behind my 5.7 with TTI mounts on the factory mount fine for a few years before I swapped transmissions.

running the stock ram trans , i see the mount will have to be made , and was just curious on the height , do we end up just making the engine and trans level ? my body has no rearend in it right now so i cant check pinion angle from the rear? thanks ed

This is what I made. The engine/tranny centerline is not level. It slants down a few degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0271 dimensions.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 287
There is no reason to go all out making a jig to hold the eng/trans/suspension when a few wheel dollies will do the job.

I used the truck trans (545 RFE) and installed everything together from the bottom. The clearance of the TTI headers are very close in many areas and they influenced where I located my trans mount as much as anything. Ideally I would have set then engine and trans lower, but there just was not room to clear the steering linkage.

-
Back