Votes: 119 63.6%
  • 5.7L Hemi

Votes: 68 36.4%

• Total voters
-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have been planning and building my build of my 70 Dart. I have an all rebuilt 340 with a 3000 stall torque converter and reverse manual valvebody that ran high 12's s in the previous owners Duster. My plan was to upgrade to an overdrive tranny because I have 4.10's in the rear of the Dart now and do not like how high the engine revs when driving 60 mphs. I also plan to get fuel injection for the 340 down the road.
I just got offered a deal of a 5.7L Hemi (62K miles) and all needed accessories still in a wrecked Dodge Magnum in trade for a spare 1972 Dodge Dart that I was going to get rid of anyways. The magnum is AWD, so I will still need to pick up a transmission.
THis car will be an occasional daily driver and maybe a little fun on the side.
Any thoughts?

Depends on what you want. If a cruiser and street fun without hassle and ease of starting and some better mileage, 5.7 all the way. Since you have the 340 and have driven it you know its manners it may or may not be the better choice. If I had to do it all over again and didn't have a motor in my hands I'd go new Hemi.

The car now has Hotchkis rear leafs, 11" 4 wheel disc brakes, drilled/slotted, and 4.10 gears. Being installed right now is the HemiDenny K-frame with coilovers, and manual rack and pinion.

If I go Hemi, I think I am going to have SRT put on the side of the twin hood scoops.

I have been planning and building my build of my 70 Dart. I have an all rebuilt 340 with a 3000 stall torque converter and reverse manual valvebody that ran high 12's s in the previous owners Duster. My plan was to upgrade to an overdrive tranny because I have 4.10's in the rear of the Dart now and do not like how high the engine revs when driving 60 mphs. I also plan to get fuel injection for the 340 down the road.
I just got offered a deal of a 5.7L Hemi (62K miles) and all needed accessories still in a wrecked Dodge Magnum in trade for a spare 1972 Dodge Dart that I was going to get rid of anyways. The magnum is AWD, so I will still need to pick up a transmission.
THis car will be an occasional daily driver and maybe a little fun on the side.
Any thoughts?
never mind that- use the AWD setup in your Dart- then you've really got something.

I'll let you do the fabrication and engineering, I'm just the idea man:D

never mind that- use the AWD setup in your Dart- then you've really got something.

I'll let you do the fabrication and engineering, I'm just the idea man:D

That's funny. My neighbor is a huge fabricator and said the same thing. He started talking about how it come be done with a "Little work".

my vote is hemi.

Unless you already have everything to put the 340 in that is... but if your gonna spend money for a EFI set-up, fuel system, exhaust and everything you might as well get the HEMI. GREAT Motors in my book

JOE

That's funny. My neighbor is a huge fabricator and said the same thing. He started talking about how it come be done with a "Little work".
do it!!!

I've seen a Stealth with a big-block mopar. now I want to see an old mopar with AWD:happy1:

my vote is hemi.

Unless you already have everything to put the 340 in that is... but if your gonna spend money for a EFI set-up, fuel system, exhaust and everything you might as well get the HEMI. GREAT Motors in my book

JOE

That is my issue, I have everything to put the 340 in and drive it. I can easily sell the motor and trans to fund the cost of the Hemi parts. I absolutely love the new Hemi motors and feel it will be more beneficial in the long run, but a PITA to accomplish.

How about a 5.9 Magnum? Same modern amenities a 5.7 offers, quarter of the headache installing.

Funny how everyone says hemi when it's not THEIR bank account funding it.

what's your budget?

Funny how everyone says hemi when it's not THEIR bank account funding it.

what's your budget?

Hahaha. I am a cheap bastard, but wiill spend the money where it needs to be spent. I have no calculated budget in mind, but will buy one part at a time if needed. That combined with a supportive wife.

If you have a fat wallet I'd go with a Gen 3 Hemi. But if not stick with the 340.

if not stick with the 340.
agreed- especially if it's already rebuilt and just needs to be installed.

a high-12 second with 4.10's is about the setup my Duster used to have in the '90s, and I didn't mind highway cruising my car (hell, I'd even run at about 85-90 mph for long stretches-there's some revs lol).

If you have a fat wallet I'd go with a Gen 3 Hemi. But if not stick with the 340.

agreed- especially if it's already rebuilt and just needs to be installed.

X2 & X3 Hemi would definitely be cool if time and money were of no concern. But nothing wrong with a good running 340 you have sitting around.

Pat

The 340 will bolt right in... The hemi is going to have to be fabricated and alot of time and money.Sound like a major pain in the ars and alot of headache. The old saying applies work smart not hard... Bill

do it!!!

I've seen a Stealth with a big-block mopar. now I want to see an old mopar with AWD:happy1:

:prayer:x10!!!!:glasses7::burnout:

jrlegacy23: Stop.... I am not going to do it. :protest:
LOL

Damn it!

Im old school and a 340 nut. I vote 340, but there again I have 11 of them. LOL!!!

Depends on exhaust manifold fitment for the hemi IMO.

If you're already set-up with 340 manifolds or a-body headers than keeping the 340 would be what I'd do... otherwise, if you're starting from scratch with the exhaust the hemi is tempting!

-
Back