Which engine for a 70 Dart

• Built 340 with reverse manual valvebody and 3000 stall

Votes: 119 63.6%
  • 5.7L Hemi

Votes: 68 36.4%

• Total voters
-
340's are rare
around here you will pay more than a grand on a block alone!
Hes already got a compleat and fresh one... and if 340 blocks are that rare where you are, send me that grand, I will ship you two of them....

well, looks like the compleat running and fresh build 340 is sold, so forget seing the OP car running for years..... I would check back in a year or so, you can probally by the unfinished project also, it wont see the highway agin no time soon!

well, looks like the complete running and fresh build 340 is sold, so forget seeing the OP car running for years..... I would check back in a year or so, you can probably buy the unfinished project also, it won't see the highway again no time soon!
:wack:

The money is funding the Hemi project, but thanks for the encouragement.

:wack:

The money is funding the Hemi project, but thanks for the encouragement.
Proofs in the pudding dude, keep us up to date with the 5.7 build, when do you figure it will be running and driving? If you pull it off, I will pat you on the back, that new teck is cool, but LOTS of projects have died from over thinking and complication.....you could have been enjoying your car in a weekend, but whatever works for ya, I am actually pulling for ya, I just know how it is usally in these deals

I look forward to seeing it all to gather I know the new hemi is still expensive but there is a decant aftermarket now that it is 10yr's old I will be following ur build!!!
:burnout::happy1::coffee2:

I look forward to seeing it all to gather I know the new hemi is still expensive but there is a decant aftermarket now that it is 10yr's old I will be following ur build!!!
:burnout::happy1::coffee2:

:thumbup:

well, looks like the compleat running and fresh build 340 is sold, so forget seing the OP car running for years..... I would check back in a year or so, you can probally by the unfinished project also, it wont see the highway agin no time soon!

well aren't you a breath of fresh air :shock:

yeah it will take longer, most things worth doing do, I have about 1000 hours into the build I'm doing, it's not a race, if it was we'd just buy cars that were already done.

Looking forward to updates! Your doing it hoe you want to do it and that's what matters

I voted Hemi. I think once you get past the installation difficulties (not that it is super tough, other than doing your homework lol) you will be happier, especially since you arent shooting for originality, and it sounds like you are going for some modern-type handling upgrades. Seems pretty easy to get power out of the new 5.7, the F.I. is already there and I think it is safe to say that it will probably get better mpg than even the F.I. 340. I would go that route in my Dart Sport, but so far it looks like you have to give up p.s., and I guess I am just getting lazy.

I voted 340 even though I have a 5.7 in my car. Based on ease of install, proven performance of the 340 you have, etc.

I voted 340 even though I have a 5.7 in my car. Based on ease of install, proven performance of the 340 you have, etc.

If I can Ask.... What is it you dont like about your 5.7 in your car....
Just wondering..

I like the 5.7 in my car - quite a bit. Just for what the OP seems to be looking for, I wouldn't recommend it. I might have misunderstood what he's looking for, but if you're looking for an easy install in an A body, then a hemi isn't that (wasn't for me, anyway).

I put a hemi in a 1969 Barracuda 7 years ago. It cost 10 grand for every last part. Engine, drive train, minor suspension upgrades. 2600 converter. I used a carb set up, and I only needed the start, and run wires, going to the MSD box and to reroute the ampmeter wire. The rest was trashed out. It got 17.5 mpg. I put 10's of thousands of miles on it as a daily driver, and it was reliable to below zero temp, and above 100 degrees. What was originally in the car was a 20 over 340 with w2 heads and a .538 Huges cam. It made similar HP in total numbers, less torque, and made most of that power in the higher rpms, with a 3000 stall 3.91 package. Built by Tom Williams a cam designer from Crane.
In case anybody doesn't believe me. The 340 was sold for part to that editor from Mopar Action. He distracted me counting off bills in my garage in the Pocono's, while his buddy swiped a carburetor off my work bench on the other side of the garage from the engine. Then my wife who can't walk because she has M.S., and I watched as the sped off down our driveway, with a carb box next to the motor on his truck bed. It takes a really low life. ( I hope you read this, I always wanted you to know that I know. )
Anyway I did a 300 mile commute, about 10 times, ( at highly illegal speeds ) when it walked the crank. I've done the same commute close to 100 times with the gen III. The 340 was a bastard in hot weather. The 340 had it share of modifications, and the hemi is stock except for cam, induction, and header. Plus there are new mods being marketed everyday for the hemi.I think the hemi has more potential. Plus there will be a slew of used casting littering junk yards soon. You choose, which one you think you want.

those new hemi's are odd looking things.
...don't get me wrong,i like new things ..just not until they get old.
i like Classic cars and parts....only a 340 is a 340!

-
Back