5.7 swap question, re cruise control

-

Canadian Cuda

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to use the cruise control from the doner vehicle? I am planning using a 5.7 hemi and 545FE transmission from a 2008 Dodge Ram. If this is, is it an option only with the 545FE transmission or can it be done with a 727 transmission or others? I am planning on putting this motor into my 67 cuda still not made up my mind on the transmission choice, as I really don,t want alter the transmission tunnel and frame cross member.

well if you don't want to alter anything the 545 is out. On the CC I have been thinking it would be cool to have. I have a 04 doner truck, and have considered it I just don't know what all will be involved. My guess is that it runs through the instrument cluster (just about all the interior stuff does) so if that is the case you would need to somehow use the cluster in the car. But that's just my guess an output signal could be made that the pcm would read as the CC function if you really wanted it to. But it might be more hassle than it's worth.

I know that there is a kit to add the cruise control to a 727 or 904 trans but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was ( I'll try to find it ).

It wouldn't be the same as using it off the donor car but should still work with an older a body regardlesss of the engine...

As I understand it the factory computer needs inputs from the wheel speed sensors through the abs module to engage cruise. As a safety feature, most modern vehicles will automatically disengage cruise if it detects one wheel slipping. This basically prevents crashes due to idiots using cruise control in rain or snow.
I've spent some time thinking about this and one possibility might be to use the 03 pedal position sensor which allows you to connect a cable acceletor pedal instead of using the electronic pedal. Then you could use an electronic controller such as this http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=477/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd48.htm and connect the cable to the box as well.

I decided to just go without cruise for now.

The 545 trans is large and will require significant modification of the floorpan and the transmission crossmember.

Thanks for all who replied this should be helpful for future research on this matter. I am going to see if I can find some more info on the wheel sensors. Has anyone tried to use an late model rear end with the wheel sensors and disc brakes, etc.?

I'm interested in this also. The PCM does need a vehicle speed signal from the ABS computer. Although the vehicle speed is transmitted on the data bus for the body computer, instrument cluster, etc., the PCM get's its own separate hardwired signal from the ABS computer. I've been trying to find out what type of signal the PCM is looking for. I'm assuming its a pulsed square wave but I can't seem to find out any other info. If we knew the pulses per mile, we could use this signal converter from Dakota Digital http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm to to convert a transmission output speed sensor signal and send it to the PCM instead of the ABS signal. Wire in the cruise buttons and, well, cruise!

From the 06 LX service manual. I believe all of this is fed to the PCM throough the front control module as it is what collects and distributes the signals on the buss circuit. Now one thing I did find about the front controla module it it is capable of taking the signal directly from the wheel spped sensors on vehicles not equipped with ABS. Still working on figuring out all that info and how I can get it to work once I start on the wiring in the car. As for the dakota digital and figuring out the sensor you may want to try a pm to 5.7dart and he made his own tone rings to mount on the tailshaft of the trans to get the NAG unit working on his Barracuda.

SPEED CONTROL​
DESCRIPTION​
The speed control system is fully and electronically controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).​
A cable
and a vacuum controlled servo are not used. This is a servo-less system.
The switch is labeled: ON/OFF,
RES/ACCEL, SET, COAST, and CANCEL.

OPERATION​
When speed control is selected by depressing the ON switch, the PCM allows a set speed to be stored in its RAM
for speed control. To store a set speed, depress the SET switch while the vehicle is moving at a speed between 25
and 100 mph. In order for the speed control to engage, the brakes cannot be applied, nor can the gear selector
indicating the transmission is in Park or Neutral or low.
The speed control can be disengaged manually by:​
²​
Stepping on the brake pedal

²​
Depressing the OFF switch

²​
Depressing the CANCEL switch.

NOTE: Depressing the OFF switch or turning off the ignition switch will erase the set speed stored in the
PCM (the ECM with a diesel engine).​
For added safety, the speed control system is programmed to disengage for any of the following conditions:​
²​
An indication of Park or Neutral

²​
A rapid increase rpm (indicates that the clutch has been disengaged)

²​
Excessive engine rpm (indicates that the transmission may be in a low gear)

²​
The speed signal increases at a rate of 10 mph per second (indicates that the coefficient of friction between
the road surface and tires is extremely low)

²​
The speed signal decreases at a rate of 10 mph per second (indicates that the vehicle may have decelerated
at an extremely high rate)
Once the speed control has been disengaged, depressing the RES/ACCEL switch (when speed is greater than 20
mph) restores the vehicle to the target speed that was stored in the PCM (the ECM with a diesel engine).
While the speed control is engaged, the driver can increase the vehicle speed by depressing the RES/ACCEL
switch. The new target speed is stored in the PCM (the ECM with a diesel engine) when the RES/ACCEL is
released. The PCM (the ECM with a diesel engine) also has a
9tap-up9 feature in which vehicle speed increases at
a rate of approximately 1 mph for each momentary switch activation of the RES/ACCEL switch.
A “tap down” feature is used to decelerate without disengaging the speed control system. To decelerate from an
existing recorded target speed, momentarily depress the COAST switch. For each switch activation, speed will be

lowered approximately 1 mph.

-
Back