5.9 and 360 LA use same parts?

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
starting to pick up parts for my junk yard 5.9 magnum engine. here are my questions?

is the magnum and 360LA oil pan the same?

what about oil pump and pick-up?

i need to swap the truck pan for a center sump car pan and while im at it i think i should install a new high volume oil pump and new pick up as well.

what about kick down linkage from the carb to my 904 trans? if this is too big a pain in the *** i will just run a manual valve body in the trans and be done with it .

On parts interchange I just look at the stuff on rockauto, that might help you out.

is the magnum and 360LA oil pan the same?

NO, MAGNUM = 318/340 PAN

what about oil pump and pick-up?

SAME just use a "LA" pick up with your LA pan.

i need to swap the truck pan for a center sump car pan and while im at it i think i should install a new high volume oil pump and new pick up as well.

A NEW STANDARD OIL PIMP AND PICK UP IS ALL YOU'LL NEED.

what about kick down linkage from the carb to my 904 trans? if this is too big a pain in the *** i will just run a manual valve body in the trans and be done with it .

IT IS AN EASY FIX. RUN A LOKAR CABLE SET UP. THERE EASY TO INSTALL. GET THERE BRACKET FOR THE CARB AS WELL.

Though if you decide on a OE 4bbl. Carb, you'll need to fab up a plate to use the Lokar bracket. I just did a bracket for a member for his TQ carb.

If you use a LA 360 pan on the 5.9 magnum make sure you use the LA pan gasket...

gasket needs to make the pan used...

If you use a LA 360 pan on the 5.9 magnum make sure you use the LA pan gasket...

gasket needs to make the pan used...

summit has a stock replacement pan for a 318 with gasket for 45 bucks. cant i just use that? i plan to just drop the pan. do a visual check on the pistons and rods/crank and throw a new oil pump and pick up in. then button it up and put a nice coat of hemi orange on it and let er rip.

I think rumblefish post above is backwards...I think the newer magnum 5.2 uses the 5.9 oil,,,,,so you still need a LA 360 pan ..not a LA 318 pan...

as the older 318/340 pan rear seal was different from the LA 360 pan...

Oil Pan Interchange
At the bottom end, the Magnum engines all use the LA-series 360 rear oil-pan relief. Any 360 oil pan will bolt to a Magnum. However, a non-Magnum pan cannot use the Magnum one-piece oil-pan gasket, as the early LA-series pans are notched at each side of the rear relief, while the Magnum is not. A non-Magnum pan will require the LA-series 360 oil-pan-gasket set.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0804_small_block_mopar_engine/viewall.html

Hey:

As stated, the LA 360 pan is the one for the magnum. And you do not need a high volume oil pump, all it will do is suck horsepower.

You can use the one piece gasket with the LA pan on the Magnum, its just not so one-piece anymore. The only bit that needs changed is the front "U" that goes under the timing cover. Just sub the 360 rubber U for the Magnum one and put some silicone at the corners. Voila, nice non-leaky gasket for your magnum or 360LA.

The 360 "U" comes with the Fel Pro timing cover kit for LA motors, so if you're running LA water pump and such, you don't have to buy the four piece oil pan gasket in addition to the magnum one piece.

While the pan is off, it's a good time to check crank end play too. Don't forget to grab a dipstick from a LA 318 car with the center sump pan unless you've got one. Toss the magnum one over your shoulder as you pull it out.

For TV cable, I'd think about snagging and adapting the cable kick down from the donor if you can. Should be next to free vs the pricey lokar assembly.

If you plan on cam later on, and have time, grab 16 valve retainers from a couple 2.2/2.5L K cars. Money saved. Add Hughes 1110 springs FTW.
:D

Happy JYing.

About mating to a 904 trans.

I ran the Lokar setup with mine and worked just fine. Easy to install and adjust, just make sure to grab the Lokar carb bracket as well when you order the cable. This also eliminates the hassle of trying to use a stock type linkage with a higher rise manifold like the Edelbrock AirGap or Proform Crosswind.

As for mating the trans to a 904, the easiest and cheapest way is to run a neutral balance converter with the later model 5.9 flex plate (95-up I believe). The reason for that is because the balance weight is on the flex plate rather than welded to the converter. Then all you need to do is slightly oval one hole in the flex plate to mate up to a stock or aftermarket 904 converter. I don't know if you've found a motor yet but don't let this stop you from buying an earlier model if it's a good candidate. These flex plates can be bought for 30 bucks at any junkyard if the one you buy doesn't have it.

About mating to a 904 trans.

I ran the Lokar setup with mine and worked just fine. Easy to install and adjust, just make sure to grab the Lokar carb bracket as well when you order the cable. This also eliminates the hassle of trying to use a stock type linkage with a higher rise manifold like the Edelbrock AirGap or Proform Crosswind.

As for mating the trans to a 904, the easiest and cheapest way is to run a neutral balance converter with the later model 5.9 flex plate (95-up I believe). The reason for that is because the balance weight is on the flex plate rather than welded to the converter. Then all you need to do is slightly oval one hole in the flex plate to mate up to a stock or aftermarket 904 converter. I don't know if you've found a motor yet but don't let this stop you from buying an earlier model if it's a good candidate. These flex plates can be bought for 30 bucks at any junkyard if the one you buy doesn't have it.

i thought the engines were balanced with the flex plate? so are they a match set or can you get one off any 5.9 and use it on any engine? im confused?

I have not got the engine yet. i have a couple sources to look at. i found a running 5.9 out of a durango that was hit in the *** end. they want 350 if i pull it. i found a wrecking yard less than a mile from my house that will sell me one with a verified 88k miles on the clock and 170lbs of comp. in each cylinder. a member here has been helpful and found a couple in another yard that would cost me roughly 200.

i am new to this swap. as of now i know that i need to make sure to get the following parts with the engine.

if out of a durango grab the exhaust manifolds. they will fit the early a body.

get the flex plate.

i will grab the pulleys and most of the front engine brackets.

what am i missing here guys?

gonna try to grab an engine from one of these places on saturday,.

Pulling an engine out of a Durango sucks. Been there, done that. I'd let them handle it.

The Magnum uses a unique balance. It is not the same as LA 360. All 5.9 magnums are the same, though. Any 5.9 magnum flexplate should work on any 5.9 magnum. 5.2 magnums are internally balanced so balancers and flexplates off of the 5.2 will not work with the 5.9.

To have proper balance you want the oem flexplate and correct harmonic balancer/dampener. That's the easiest way to do it. Sometimes the Magnum will have a serpentine pulley integrated into the balancer, if this is the case and you want to use a V-belt pulley system, you need to source a balancer without the attached pulley.

I do not know if the durango manifolds will fit the early a-body or not. It sure didn't seem like they would work for my '71.

There's a lot of information at the link in my sig.

Good luck.

-
Back