5.9 R/T question.

-

Badart

Reaction score
There is a 95 5.9 R/T complete disassembled engine for sale. What is the difference in these engines and stock magnums other than heads? He only wants a $100 for the engine and heads. Are these magnums prone to cracking like the stock magnums? I'm thinking these may be good heads for my stroker build (if they are not cracked).

heads are the same on 360's and 318's in the magnum motors,Nothing special about the r/t trucks just a r/t badge on emm and i think the suspension is a bit diff.Unless your talking about the mopar perf. r/t heads,there nice and flow well with work done to emm.

Dakota R/T trucks have the exact same engine (and heads) as Rams with a 360 magnum. They just stuck a Ram 360 magnum engine in a Dakota and called it an R/T. Nothing more than badging.

Note: I believe they are rated at approx. 10 hp more due to a better exhaust system installed on R/T's

All magnum heads are prone to cracking. Beware!! By the time you'd buy them and rebuild and port them enough to breath on a stroker they'd cost as much or more than a brand new set of RHS X heads from IMM that flow real good and are ready to bolt on.

If your not familiar with IMM engines here's a thread he has on the RHS heads he sells

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88220

R/T's have a 20% higher airflow and performance gain over stock cast iron magnum heads (229 cfm vs 190 cfm on the intake) due to rectangular shaped intake ports with larger overall port volume, with added material around the port allowing for optional intake porting. These heads where designed to offer the performance of W2 heads to magnum engines.

I would say at that price, if they are good its a cheap performance enhancement, I have them on my 72 dart.

R/T's have a 20% higher airflow and performance gain over stock cast iron magnum heads (229 cfm vs 190 cfm on the intake) due to rectangular shaped intake ports with larger overall port volume, with added material around the port allowing for optional intake porting. These heads where designed to offer the performance of W2 heads to magnum engines.

I would say at that price, if they are good its a cheap performance enhancement, I have them on my 72 dart.

That is true if they are actually R/T heads. But from his description it sounds like it's just an engine removed from an R/T truck. In that case they are not R/T heads, unless they were changed sometime in their life.

Like mentioned, they are prone to cracking, but I'd say the short-block is worth 100.00 bucks if its in decent shape, my magnum heads were cracked when i bought my 95 magnum, so i purchased some RHSs for 875.00, in stock trim they should support a mild stroker, done up some they will support it no problem.

I agree, there's plenty of people paying more than that for used magnum heads, or blocks.

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently running magnums on my 318 in my dart. I guess that I was the only guy in the world to have a set rebult without cracks.

I haven't even looked at these heads yet, so I am not sure if they are actually R/T heads. That is what he has them listed as. I forgot about the Dakota R/T. I will check it out.

R/T heads have R/T on them....and they did not come on R/T Trucks...they were sold thru MP and came on crate engines..

0412em_02_z+magnum_cylinder_heads+.jpg

hineyheads.jpg

Well after talking to the guy I found out that they are not R/T heads, but in fact rebuilt magnums. He said that he had a machine shop rebuilt his entire long block about 30K miles ago and the engine actually broke a connecting rod and tore up one piston. He does not have all of the specs on the motor. LOL He only told them to build him a 400 hp 360. He says that it has aftermarket pistons and a set of roller rockers with double valve springs. So I am going down in the morning to pick everthing up.

Sounds to me like a smoking deal even if the crank and block is junk. It is worth it for the pistons, roller rockers and low mileage magnums as long as they are not cracked. Even if there is a couple of bent valves. He told me that he only wants $100 for everything just to get it out of his garage.

What do you think?

Go for it, as long as the heads aren't cracked, that's a good deal.

-
Back