5 months and counting

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's been 5 months since I started the thread about quitting smoking. A few others were trying to quit at the same time. I find it a struggle every day but I still have not had a single smoke since December 5th 2012. I wonder if it will get any easier. An aquaintence (sp)? congratulated me the other day and I said thanks, but I feel that I won't be able to say I have quit smoking for at least a year from my last smoke if ever.
The weight gain has been slow but is there. At first I lost 8 lbs, but now I have gained that and 15 more back. I will work on that end of things after I am sure I have quit smoking.

So how is everybody else doing? Better than me I hope.

Jack

Keep it up!! I stopped but since being involved in the BP trial here in Louisiana (on the good guy's side!) I've started back in full smoke mode!!!

I quite many years ago Jack. Yes it will get better I promise. The worst for me was when I would go out to the bar for drinks and everyone around me was smoking, but I got through it.

The plan is to never light another one up. But sometimes the best laid plans go up in smoke. Pun intended. LOL

Jack

keep it up it can be done it has been over 9 years for me

Good for you! Congratulations, Jack, and keep up the fight! It will be well worth it in the long run.
I've never smoked because I lost both my dad and grandfather to smoking-related health issues, and my wife lost her mom to one as well.
Here is SoCal it's getting to be rare that you catch a whiff of cigarette smoke since it's outlawed in so many places here. You can't even smoke in a bar here unless it's a cigar lounge or something like that.
Keep fighting!

quit smoking aug 20 (girlfriends daughters bday) quit drinking jan 20 (found out girlfriend is pregnant) picked up a solid 15 from zebra cakes.
(its a boy)

Congrats!!!! I think about that thread ofter and wonder how everyones doing. I need to get back to trying :(

Congrats. Jack i know you can give it up once and for all, i never smoked but i did the next hardest thing which was losing weight.
I never thought i could do it but i lost alot of weight since i met you 7 years ago.

I qiute in 1987, Got over the urge. One year later, a party. Bumed 2. Bought a pack on way home. Smoked for 14 more years. Decided I was killing myself. No cigs for 2 weeks. Isn't hard as last time.

Gum or patches suck. Just bull through it. I fell better already. But you do want that cig. Work harder on anything. then is't just every 4 hour thing.

Don't eat; blimp. A hot pepper will clear your mind.

It's all dependance, and in your mind. Last 2 years, got off computer, made supper at 7. No more beer or cigs. I was addicted to cigs.Tv, til bed. No problem. Still do it. Love duck dynasty.

Jack, by marking time since you last smoked, you're keeping the fact that you haven't had a cigarette since thus and such in the forefront of your life. Most people who go back to smoking after months, or even years, do so, because they never get passed quitting. The always think about it.

I stopped 30 years ago, and the only time it even crosses my mind is when some one tells me about their "attempts" to quit. I usually tell them to stop attempting, just do it, and forget about it.

You're body's need for a cigarette has passed and ended just days after you quit. You're a success, except in your mind. Perhaps it's time to stop counting. It's behind you, move on. :thumbup:

Congratulations! There certainly is a void to fill when you quit and food is generally within arms reach. IMO, a few extra lbs is a good trade.

Jack, by marking time since you last smoked, you're keeping the fact that you haven't had a cigarette since thus and such in the forefront of your life. Most people who go back to smoking after months, or even years, do so, because they never get passed quitting. The always think about it.

I stopped 30 years ago, and the only time it even crosses my mind is when some one tells me about their "attempts" to quit. I usually tell them to stop attempting, just do it, and forget about it.

You're body's need for a cigarette has passed and ended just days after you quit. You're a success, except in your mind. Perhaps it's time to stop counting. It's behind you, move on. :thumbup:

You probably are very right Frankie. I don't think about the day I quit very much. Mostly when somebody asks about it. That urge to smoke is there often enough. I find it the worst when I do something that I haven't done since I quit like last night. I went fishing for the first time since last summer. I sure wanted a smoke when nothing was biting.

Jack

I'm very proud of you Jack and hope you can keep up the good work!! How bout putting something positive in its place every time you want one?? That way you'll benefit every time the urge comes and it may replace the urge for good!!

Great news from you for sure!! Geof

Awesome Jack!!!!!! Keep it up!!! I have tried a few times. My biggest hang up is anxiety. It runs in my family and most of them are on medication for it. When I stop I get it really bad and I don't want to go get pills. I am a light smoker though. One pouch of tobacco last me a week. I won't smoke regular cigarettes because of all the processing done and chemicals added. I'll keep trying though post like yours give hope!

-
Back