5 or 6 leaf rear springs?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Just want a nice handling road trip car, not a solo racer that rattles your eyeballs, so this is what I have so far on the car.
Its a 318/904
T-bars are same as what the 340 had, I think they are quite stiff, and handles pretty good without a sway bar even.
I've got a skinny factory 7/8" front sway bar, it was free.
The rear is still original 4 leaf and I've always thought too soft, barely stops the arse from dragging.
My other dart street beater (avatar) has stiff 6 leaf springs that hold the rear up high, but other than speed humps the ride is not too bad.
Should I go with the same dearched for the road car, or some 5 leaves?
I'm thinking the 5's but then again those 6's have really kept the rear axle under control, braking and accelerating.
What do you think, any spring brands you trust?

I am running the Espo 6 leaf +1 springs. 340 bars up front and aftermarket front and rear sway bars. The springs are a little stiff but handling is top notch compared to the old springs. If I were to do it again I think I would go with their 5 leaf springs

in jamies dart we went with the 6 leaf +1" springs and .920 bars up front. still want to put sway bars on it but just haven't gotten around to it yet. rides great car stays pretty flat in corners so far but ya can't really push it yet because of the tiny 14" tires on it.. will be moving up to 17 or 18" sooner or later..

My 68 Barracuda had 6 leaf springs that had sacked out. I replaced them with Mancini XHD springs that have 5 leafs. The spring pack at the axle is thicker with the 5 leafs than with the 6 leaf springs I had and the 5 leafs are definately stiffer.

What I am getting to you need to be comparing spring rate and not the number of leaves. If you are using factory springs then you could compare 4, 5 and 6 leaf springs but aftermarket you can't.

i used the espo 6 leafs std hieght on my dart and duster really happy witht them. they have been in the dart since 2000

I replaced the sagging factory 6 leaf springs with a Espo 5 leaf set. They settled a bit after the first year but still ride and handle good after 5 years.
toolman

dart is home sept304004.jpg

first of october013.jpg

fall07 244 50percent.jpg

-
Back