5 speed options

-

Henchman

Reaction score
With a twin turbo EFI 360, what manual 5 speed could successfully be utilized?
Machining and welding is not a problem. I am Capable of building adaptors plates and custom bell housings.
I’m new to mopar vehicles and was wondering what would be my best option.
Thanks in advance.

TKX about to start delivering. TKO's are about to stop production and go up in price. More space in the tunnel.

For that kind of power a T-56 (6 speed) or TKO 600. The TKX was just released and TKO kits might work for it. You can get both cast and blow proof bell for any of the 3 (as long as the TKX uses all the TKO mounting locations) and you can reuse your Z bar or but a Hydraulic system.
Unmodified T-56 and TKO will need the tunnel widened.

The T5 is too weak for what you have, even a mild built 360 and good traction would tear one up.

With a twin turbo EFI 360, what manual 5 speed could successfully be utilized?
Machining and welding is not a problem. I am Capable of building adaptors plates and custom bell housings.
I’m new to mopar vehicles and was wondering what would be my best option.
Thanks in advance.
Why bother with a 5-speed, can you even shift it fast enough? On the street I doubt you can.
If it was me, I would get me one of those cheap Swap-meet 50 dollar od boxes, pull the od gear out of it, and put 2.76s in it or something, and slightly delay the boost.That 3.09 first gear, with 2.76s and 28s will get you 54mph at 5500, 60@ 6140 still in first,lol. Just hit it and hang the heck on! Me lickey.
Why pull the od?
Cuz sure as heck you will forget how weak that gear is, and when it shatters it usually takes something else out with it. Use a THREE speed shifter, so you don't hit second neutral at 6200,lol. Or get a rev limiter. Or both is best.
BTW, you may not even see damage to other gears, and decide to reuse it. And then ziiiiing, there goes the input gear, and you are walking again, for the second time in the same week/day. Oh wait, maybe that only happens to me.......

But to answer your question, somebody on FABO posted a link t the new TKO600 5gears for Mopars. @Car Nut I see it was.
Criminey, I'm late to the party again.

Such a downer.....

What’s the big deal on shifting fast enough with another gear?

Well, I was thinking
> we're not in the racers Forum, so I'm in street mode,
>those od boxes are cheap, and except for the 22T od gear itself, are as strong as any other A833. Why spend 4 grand or more on gears you don't need. Low-powered engines like lotsa gears. Mega torque-engines do not.
> I have read that turbos like low rear gears
> There is almost no sound in the world that I despise more than a blow-off valve.
> my NA 367 has spun tires all the way to 60 and beyond, and with appropriate gearing, in either first or second. On the street, if the tires do not hook, it makes no difference what the gearing is, so you might as well sit back and enjoy the ride. And have a quiet cruiser,lol.

I am of course willing to be wrong, which is why I said "lf it was me"

when I said this;
Why bother with a 5-speed, can you even shift it fast enough? On the street I doubt you can.
I meant fast enough to make a difference on the street; which is never more than two gears in the zero to sixty contest, with typical street gears. It takes about 4.10/4.30s to hit 60 at 6000 with a 1.92 second gear. That is not a fun gear to cruise with so an overdrive is pretty much mandatory.
But the whole reason we run those gears is because they make our, comparatively low-torque-at-low-rpm NA SBM engines, quick in the zero-to-60 contest.
With a turbo, that all goes out the window. A turbo SBM can easily make BB torque almost right out of the gate, and with 4.10/4.30s the tires would just boil.
So less gear eases the burden on the tires, as well as loading up the turbo.
On the street with street suspension, and street tires, traction will be a byword; the car will be rolling smoke-show. I don't mean that in any derogatory way. If I had the cash, I would build a turbo car too. I just wouldn't start with 360 cubes. I would start with something the tires can deal with, like maybe a 318/273, and an automatic.
lessee, I know I got one around here somewhere. Ok got it. Now, I need at least 100 fatcats to each send me $100 bucks, and I'll get right on it. I'll put it into my 68 Barracuda and after I get it tuned, I'll raffle it back to the guys who coughed up; engine and headers only.BTW, I know nothing about turbos, so this will be a real life drama..Ok just kidding; I'm coming 68 next June, and not much interested in any new projects, even funded ones

Last edited:
-
Back