508 mopar cam

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I have a 360 that was rebuilt with a Summit kit that included pistons. the block is a 76 truck block that was bored 40 over, rods and mains were 10, stock rods, heads are a set of late model (non magnum) 318s that were ported on bolth sides and have the big valves and high lift springs(not sure what size). The cam i was running is a custom grind that is just a hair bigger than a 340 cam. There was no milling done to the block or heads.
I have a mopar purple 292/508 cam with hyd. lifters that was broken in and has only 4 passes down the 1/4 mile before the guy yanked it out cause it wasn't big enough. I also have a Eddy street T-ram and 2 450 holleys. Anyone forsee any major problems with putting the 508 cam and T-ram on the motor? I am wondering about HV oil pump (would I need one with this cam?) and pushrods but I can get a custom set from the local cam place if I need to. I also have a carter HV fuel pump.
I will be running a 518 OD tranny and a 8 3/4 with 2.7something gears (for now), this is ganna be a fun driver that may see the 1/4 mile about 2 or 3 times a year when done.

Here are some pics of the motor. Right now Im stripping off paint with a wire wheel and smoothing it up alittle bit with the grinder. It will be painted body color (with a bunch of perl and metalflake) so I want it to be nice and smooth. I am leaving the main casting numbers on the block.

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04798.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

I tried to convince Nikki that the motor would look real cool in her Scamp but she keeps telling me that she is a girl and all she needs is a hopped up slant six...Oh well I tried :-D

DSC04811.jpg

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04798.jpg

DSC04798.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

DSC04811.jpg

DSC04811.jpg

Oh yea. I see problems. The list is long and you also did not provided a comp. ratio. Do ya know it???

]

I tried to convince Nikki that the motor would look real cool in her Scamp but she keeps telling me that she is a girl and all she needs is a hopped up slant six...Oh well I tried :-D

]

and my girlfriend keeps telling me that there is no such thing as to much she just whants more all the time, cause she says she needs to have a faster car than me...

and my girlfriend keeps telling me that there is no such thing as to much she just whants more all the time, cause she says she needs to have a faster car than me...

The biggest issue I see is the 318 heads on the 360. That and how it affects the compression. If its just for cruising and occassional drag flogs, find a set of 360 heads and run them with the rest of the setup. Low end torque will not be near as prevalent with the cam and intake setup, but if its just for cruising and the cool looking factor, it will be fine. It will be too much of a dog, though, with the small port 318 heads.

When I say it will see the 1/4 mile about 3 or 4 times a year it would just be a fun pass down the strip durring the nostalga drags. It is mainly for the "cool factor" it is going in a 53 merc pick up that is built as a 70's custom.
I was running these heads on this motor for about 2 years with no problems, they have the big valves in them and have been ported on bolth sides. The pistons where on the low side at 8.66 comp.
Im not looking to set a new track record with this Im just looking to have some fun with it so if it is a dog I won't care that much.

When I say it will see the 1/4 mile about 3 or 4 times a year it would just be a fun pass down the strip durring the nostalga drags. It is mainly for the "cool factor" it is going in a 53 merc pick up that is built as a 70's custom.
I was running these heads on this motor for about 2 years with no problems, they have the big valves in them and have been ported on bolth sides. The pistons where on the low side at 8.66 comp.
Im not looking to set a new track record with this Im just looking to have some fun with it so if it is a dog I won't care that much.

Go for it.....it won't run that bad.... will look cool, which is the point. Would look just as cool as another motor that would fit the bill( Flathead V-8), but run much better than that. Those motors make between 130-170 bhp, while yours should be in the range of at least 240-250.

The only other problem I see is the fact that the engine is going in a Merc, instead of a Mopar. Lol.

Go for it.....it won't run that bad.... will look cool, which is the point. Would look just as cool as another motor that would fit the bill( Flathead V-8), but run much better than that. Those motors make between 130-170 bhp, while yours should be in the range of at least 240-250.

The only other problem I see is the fact that the engine is going in a Merc, instead of a Mopar. Lol.

I figured a mopar would be better than dropping a chev in it like everyone else. pluse it already has the volare subframe in it along with the 8 3/4 rear. Speaking of flatheads I have one of those too but it needs a buch of sleaves and I dont wanna get into it so Im selling or giving it away. Its a 49 A-B truck motor.

Youll need some stall with that cam and some low gears as i believe the powerband is around 2500 to 5500

I will be running a 518 OD tranny and a 8 3/4 with 2.7something gears (for now)

big problem right there... the 508/292 needs a 3:91 to 4:10 to run right.. you can get away with 3:55 but its borderline.. the motor won't clean up till just over 2000 rpm and with a 2.7 something gear around town cruising will suck..... plus you will need a 3000 or so rom stahl conveter for it to work properly.... i'm running it in my 360...

The rear has the 2.7whatever in it right now but I have a friend that has a set of 4.10's he will sell me for pretty cheap.
Would a 3000 converter work with 4.10's pretty well? My transmission guy said to get him a list and some cash and he will get everything I need for the tranny. He said the 518, converter, plate and a rebuild would run me about $850-900.

Ran that cam in my 360 w/the Edel rpm stuff up top and super comp headers. It's a dead dog until 2500 where it opens up one eye. At 3000 it gets up.
I'll tell you like it is, or will be with the 2.7 rear and stock converter. It'll run like Fido's a$$ after a bad hair cut, crap bath and a night with Medusa. Hookers that can get a golf ball through 90ft. of garden hose do better.

3500 to 3800 will be a booger on the street

A good quality high stall converter will be fin on the street. The new 9 and 9.5 Converters feel like stockers around town and flash high off the brakes.

I run an aloder Turbo Action 8" on the street that flashed to 4200rpms behind my old mild 340. Just run a big trans cooler.

Ok, Let's say I didn't run the 508. I have the 360 with the T-ram and a pair of Holley 450's and 3.23 or 3.91 gears along with the 518. What would be the best cam for it? Remember Im not going for balls out speed with this thing and the pistons are about 8.66 comp. I can get any size cam made up for a pretty good price at the local cam shop.

220 - 226 on the intake with 6*'s more on the exhaust. If the Magnum heads can take over .500 lift (IE; Not with stock valve seals) I'd go there.
C-line of 110 should be just fine.

3500 to 3800 will be a booger on the street

thats not true.... maybe in the old days but converter tech has come a long way... my 9 1/2" converter is like a 3800 stahl. i easily get 3000 from the foot brake at the track and on the street it cruises like a stock converter.. its the best of both worlds... the new converters are very efficient.

I have a 360 that was rebuilt with a Summit kit that included pistons. the block is a 76 truck block that was bored 40 over, rods and mains were 10, stock rods, heads are a set of late model (non magnum) 318s that were ported on bolth sides and have the big valves and high lift springs(not sure what size).

My bad, I ref'ed this from post #1. My eyes must have jumped across the woed "NON." LOL SOrry about that. The pictures say "LA" heads!

-
Back