512 Stroker

-

1967Fish

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a 512 stroker from 440 Source over the winter. I'm not sure of the exact details of the build yet, but I can tell you the goal is a 500 hp streetable engine that runs on pump gas is the goal .So this means no more than 10:1 compressio n.Probably a mid 500 lift cam. I don't know what I'm gonna do as far as a carb or intake.
For those that have builta 512, what did you use for parts? If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently.

The 512 kit is realy a 505" with a +.030 block. Personally I wouldn't do anything differently for this one but you're not him so... I'd suggest lower static, more cam than you think is reasonable...lol That stroke eats up cam duration.
Example 1
.030 over block, sonic tested
Main studs, factory caps.
Oiling mods to main feeds, pickup passage, and drainback.
440 Source 512 kit - rods cycled and redone properly, dished pistons, 7.1 rod
RPM heads, corrected and stage I cleanup - basically gasket matching and blending, chambers reduced to 72ccs.
Pistons proud of deck .008". 10.8:1 static compression, .031" quench
Engle custom flat tappet cam - split pattern, 260°/265° @ .050, .590/.600 IIRC.
Edelbrock 6bbl intake, port matched and blended, new vacuum carbs w/ProMax plates
Crane 1.5 roller rockers
Chassis dyno'd at 420hp/430tq at the tires in a '70 Ebody ragtop 6bbl/4sp/dana clone. Never been to the track.

Very easy goal. My 500 4.15 stroke with a mild solid roller is probably closer to 600 but street friendly.

You could make 500 HP from a 7:1 naturally aspirated 512.

Well, I hope it will be that easy to pull 500+ hp. I'll be doing lots of research in the coming months. Gonna be a fun thread. When done I'll be dynoing the motor to see what kind of HP it's making.

Should be pretty straight forward. I did a 470" low deck at 10.2:1,OOTB Eddy heads, a small solid roller(242/[email protected],.570/.576"), RPM intake with Holley 800DP. It made 415hp@5500 and over 500 ft lbs. at the tire. It was still pulling...I should have spun it to 6500 but it did what I wanted so I quit while I was ahead. It idles at 850 rpm and makes 12" vacuum. Runs on anything I put in the tank(usually pump premium) and does this:burnout:easily:D

Hi fig. I've got a set of heavily ported 346 cast iron heads with 2.18 intake and 1.88 exhaust. I took a few pics last night. I'll post a pic or two soon.

I'm looking to build a 512 stroker from 440 Source over the winter.

the goal is a 500 hp streetable engine that runs on pump gas is the goal .So this means no more than 10:1 compression. NO..

Probably a mid 500 lift cam. Means nothing... What are the other specs?

I don't know what I'm gonna do as far as a carb or intake.

750-950, dual or single plane will work. Edelbrock perf RPm or Victor would be my rec

For those that have builta 512, what did you use for parts? If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently.

Stroker engines are great adn my next big block will be one, however I want much higher HP than you.

If all you want is a pump gas 500hp street engine that runs on pump gas don't waste your money on the stroker kit. You can do it easy and cheaper without that stroker kit.

For your use.

500hp.

440, .060 over. 10.5:1 eddy rpm heads ported. [email protected], .557 lift, 112cl, 2 1/8 headers, 950hp holley, victor intake. 545ftlbs @3900 500hp @ 5800. 91 octane ethanol mix pump gas. timing 18 initial, 36 total. No vacum advance.

Edit: HVH super sucker 1" spacer was worth 10hp and 12 ft/lbs and was on it on the final pull.

Stroker engines are great adn my next big block will be one, however I want much higher HP than you.

If all you want is a pump gas 500hp street engine that runs on pump gas don't waste your money on the stroker kit. You can do it easy and cheaper without that stroker kit.

i dont agree with that. the added cubes makes it easier to build the hp with alot more mild combo. it is just plain easier to build more hp with more cubes. with the price of stroker rotating assemblies down below 2k now its almost just as cheap to buy a kit then it is to have the stock crank/rods reconditioned. nothing about building engines is "CHEAP" . you get out what you put in. a 500" motor with any sort of performance head and a solid cam is going to be knocking down 500hp pretty damn easily.

I think the heads you plan on using will be what holds you back. I wouldn't use those heads with a stroker build. you will need some decent flow to make power with that stroker.

For me - I wouldnt use the iron because of the chambers and pump gas. if it's a street engine first a bigger engine will do the same with less rpm. These things get 500hp below 5200 and huge torque from 2K to a peak around 4000. And you get drivability at the same time with lower stall convertors and milder gearing.
Yes - it can be done with smaller cubes and factory displacement. But a 440 based package will be more of a compromise leaned towards racing, rather than a compromise towards street.

I think the heads you plan on using will be what holds you back. I wouldn't use those heads with a stroker build. you will need some decent flow to make power with that stroker.

this is interesting reading. I`m expecting much more power out of my build that what your after.
.030 over 440 block-4.250 forged crank-dished pis.72cc alum heads,fully cnc ported,.039 head gasket-.620-.628 lift 254-260 duration @.050,street roller-all the normal tricks w/ stud girdle on the bottom end. the big problem I see coming is, it doesn`t look like it`s going to fit under my 6 pack scoop. thinking about dropping back to the shorter torker 2 . haven`t made up my mind about carb or fuel inj.(pricey)expecting around 700 h.p., 650ish torque. (all comments welcome on this, good or bad)
hopefully about a 3000 lbs. 68 barracuda street car, w/ 373 ndana 60-727t.f. in it 10x28 drag radials. comments?---( never too much h.p.!)
by the way "fast 2 fuel inj." now good to 1200 h.p. ----bob

this is interesting reading. I`m expecting much more power out of my build that what your after.
.030 over 440 block-4.250 forged crank-dished pis.72cc alum heads,fully cnc ported,.039 head gasket-.620-.628 lift 254-260 duration @.050,street roller-all the normal tricks w/ stud girdle on the bottom end. the big problem I see coming is, it doesn`t look like it`s going to fit under my 6 pack scoop. thinking about dropping back to the shorter torker 2 . haven`t made up my mind about carb or fuel inj.(pricey)expecting around 700 h.p., 650ish torque. (all comments welcome on this, good or bad)
hopefully about a 3000 lbs. 68 barracuda street car, w/ 373 ndana 60-727t.f. in it 10x28 drag radials. comments?---( never too much h.p.!)
by the way "fast 2 fuel inj." now good to 1200 h.p. ----bob

What heads are you running? I would say that theres not enough duration in that cam to get 700Hp but it should be up there. My 4.15 stroke .055 over 440 is dynoed at 750hp on 93 pump gas. My cam is a Comp solid flat .662 - .672 lift and 267 - 271 duration at .050". 11/1 comp with cnc'd indy ez heads. Indy single plane intake and 950HP carb. I have since switched to a 1000HP carb. We bolted on an Indy tunnel ram with 2 - 750HP carbs and made 773hp.

The reason I'm not going with aluminum heads, at least for now is $$$. If I want more HP, I can always buy a set and different cam. I've had these heads just sitting aroun for years...might as well use em. Several years ago, the heads were in a friends 68 fastback barracuda, with the exact same valves. Solid rockers. Battleship springs and the barracuda ran 10.20 in the quarter mile. I think they'll be good enough for me.

I think they will work - but you will need to be careful about static compression ratios and the camshaft choice.

What heads are you running? I would say that theres not enough duration in that cam to get 700Hp but it should be up there. My 4.15 stroke .055 over 440 is dynoed at 750hp on 93 pump gas. My cam is a Comp solid flat .662 - .672 lift and 267 - 271 duration at .050". 11/1 comp with cnc'd indy ez heads. Indy single plane intake and 950HP carb. I have since switched to a 1000HP carb. We bolted on an Indy tunnel ram with 2 - 750HP carbs and made 773hp.
cnc victor knock offs, set up and redone by a guy in nebraska. haven`t got around to tearing them down to check his work and parts yet.
starting to think about more street able parts, what w tulsa going to 1/8 mile racing, I don`t like it! being as it`s mostly a street car anyway. (can`t gear a real street car that`s n/a to be impressive enough for me)
will also be driven on the hiway too.. your stuff sounds pretty kick ***!
thanks for the comments---------bob

-
Back