528 hemi swap

-

moparbill2

Reaction score
finally have a Hemi for my 69 dart. Question is should i go motor plate or conversion mounts?
or is it worth it to install the K alter motion sub frame. not trying to build a LO23 car.:burnout:

If your building it for the street I would run conversion mounts since I did mine 10 years ago I did rubber mounts I had wants to build a car that looked like the factory would have done it, but if it's more for race engine plate would help stiffen the front end and keep the engine in place.

DAMN a 528 Hemi in a 69 Dart? Wholey **** thats a big mill to power such little car! Think the block will fit or will you need to do serious hacking to get it to fit?

You can do it with stock suspension and the new TTI Hemi headers.

Just put the motor in the right place. Per TTI instructions. Bang/cut out passenger inner fender, offset master, cut back steering column sleeve/bearing.

If you do that correctly, you can install the motor from the bottom with the headers bolted to the motor!

Read here: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7271045&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

7273030-Untitled-2.jpg

7273030-Untitled-3.jpg

No hacking at all. That HemiMark guy did one about 10 years ago. A 528
Hemi Duster (orange) it had a Keisler 5-speed, Dana 60 and 4-wheel disc
brakes with a flat hood. Car sold a couple of years ago and the new owner
is still racking up the miles. When Mark had it they said he drove it from
Pittsburg to the Nat's in Columbus something like 6 years in a row and never
had problem one.

Not worried about issues or problems, I just thought the 528 was a HUGE engine to fit in such a small location on a 69 Dart......

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the block with heads on it wider then the 426 Hemi, AND the valve covers are a bit bigger too!? Or am I wrong and the 2 motors are pretty close the same size? I've not seen 2 of them, side by side to compare.....

Same outside dimensions, only the bore and stroke are different. Actually a pretty easy swap. Why do a 528 when a 572 only cost a few more dollars?

I vote for a factory style installation.
For me it is a glimpse back in time to the simpler days of unneutered excessiveness that will never be done again. I will never tire looking at such brutality built into our beloved A-bodies. Hammered inner fender, cut rear fenders and all the other go faster than everyone else tricks that put It at the top of the food chain in its time.

It just seems wrong to tame such a beast with modern equiptment and rob or numb the senses
of what these machines are or were built to do. Win Races.
Ma built us vipers to make use of all the advancements this be safe world we live in now has to offer. Let the Hemi be a Hemi.
But you know it is your Hemi and you get to do with it how it pleases you the most.
that's what it is all about making you happy everytime you fire it up.

I ain't got no Hemi, but I like my 383 pretty damn good................ I love the sound of raw power unlike the newer V-8's set up to be close EFI to the old Carbureated power houses....And the old ones running well. "thump" sort of, and the new ones not so much to quiet......

Same outside dimensions, only the bore and stroke are different. Actually a pretty easy swap. Why do a 528 when a 572 only cost a few more dollars?

I actually thought the engine blocks were a bit bigger in size....

SO, let me ask, valve covers, from the 426, to the 472 to 528, to the 540 to the 572, are they all the same too? I mean can you take a factory 426 from the late 60's and bolt it right on to any of the other heads, that are of course factory? I've seen in pictures 426 and 528 valve covers, nothing I could actually touch and feel for sizing, but are they they interchangeable? But, the 528 looks to be different in size, much more bulky, mean, nasty looking "get the hell out of my way" sort of look to them, not that the 426 does have that too, but it seems to be a bit smaller then the 528 valve covers.....

Then again, I've seen old school 392's that look smaller then the 426's and then other times seen 392's that looked as tho they could be bolted right to a 426 head. and I know thats impossible to interchange a 392 to a 426. the heads are completely different!

No hacking at all. That HemiMark guy did one about 10 years ago. A 528
Hemi Duster (orange) it had a Keisler 5-speed, Dana 60 and 4-wheel disc
brakes with a flat hood. Car sold a couple of years ago and the new owner
is still racking up the miles. When Mark had it they said he drove it from
Pittsburg to the Nat's in Columbus something like 6 years in a row and never
had problem one.

Thanks Doc.......... I should have never sold that car! anyway, hear is a thread removing the hemi from the bottom....... If you want a sleeper (flat hood) or just a better handling car PM Hemidenny and talk to him about his front suspension....... good luck

Here is my 67 Barracuda with a 446 Hemi it's a 440 block with Stage 5 Hemi conversion heads on it. It is a tight but it fits just fine for me and if anyone needed to know what I had do to make it work with factory spool mounts. Let me know

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 592
  • Picture 010.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Picture 011.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 577
  • Picture 009.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 531
Here is my 67 Barracuda with a 446 Hemi it's a 440 block with Stage 5 Hemi conversion heads on it. It is a tight but it fits just fine for me and if anyone needed to know what I had do to make it work with factory spool mounts. Let me know

I love that car!!! :thumleft: :cheers: :heart:

So let me get this straight. The Hemi in your 'cuda is a RB 440 block with stage 5 conversion heads from wedge to Hemi combustion chambers? How does that go from a 440 to a 446? what was done to reach that CID?

I'm not doubting here, I'm learning LOL

With that said on the conversion, how did you go about the intake then?

This was a pretty sweet engine build, I bet!

bore of 4.32 X stroke of 3.75 x 8, overbore of .030 equals 445.850902406647 rounded up to 446. Thats why I had to ask how that "446" was gotten as the CID.

Yes it's a 440 .030 over with custom Aries pistons that have the pin location in the same as a stock 440 piston and the top of the piston is a Hemi 10.5 to 1 design. With the heads having raised exhaust ports and 2.25 intake valves and 1.90 exhaust valves. I also run 1.6 intake rockers and 1.7 exhaust rocker. With a 484 lift 284 duration cam and a modified street Hemi intake manifold it made 525 ft lbs of torque and 675 hp at 5800 rpms with the cross ram intake and two 770 cfm Holley's it made 545 ft lbs of torque and 735 hp at 6400 rpm's which isn't bad on pump gas.

building a drag car or a street car? motor plate makes things more rigid. frees up room for headers. but it does transmit some vibrations to the car. you go with the factory k-member you will be limited in your oil pan choices. few racer folks I have talked to over the years rave about rear sump pans....which is a bit tuff to do with the factory steering linkage. it can be done but prepared for a lot of headaches. go with a hemidenny front end & he wil set you up with a set of motor mounts that position the motor so no inner fender hammering is necessary....and allow you to run a rear sump pan......and keep a flat hood in some cases. denny will hook you up with all the necessary part numbers for everything you will need...including a set of tti headers. building something a bit more serious?? and have $$ to throw around? custom headers may be the way to go....

Ma built us vipers to make use of all the advancements this be safe world we live in now has to offer. Let the Hemi be a Hemi.

You have obviously never driven a Viper, There aint nothing safe about them. Not only are they a lot lighter than an original Hemi car but they produce more rear wheel horsepower( my sons had 432 rwh on the dyno at the mopar nats) and they don't have anti lock brakes or traction control or any of the other luxury items usually associated with corvettes. Just like the old Hemi cars, you have to be able to drive to be behind the wheel of either of them. They will both kill you in a New York minute. I've had both so this is experience speaking.

I actually thought the engine blocks were a bit bigger in size....

SO, let me ask, valve covers, from the 426, to the 472 to 528, to the 540 to the 572, are they all the same too? I mean can you take a factory 426 from the late 60's and bolt it right on to any of the other heads, that are of course factory? I've seen in pictures 426 and 528 valve covers, nothing I could actually touch and feel for sizing, but are they they interchangeable? But, the 528 looks to be different in size, much more bulky, mean, nasty looking "get the hell out of my way" sort of look to them, not that the 426 does have that too, but it seems to be a bit smaller then the 528 valve covers.....

All the differences are internal, if you ever have seen an original Hemi A body you can see that there is no room in the engine compartment to accommodate anything larger. Some of the new hemi blocks have the ability to be bored out a lot larger than the originals allowing you to make a bunch more cubic inches.

All the differences are internal, if you ever have seen an original Hemi A body you can see that there is no room in the engine compartment to accommodate anything larger. Some of the new hemi blocks have the ability to be bored out a lot larger than the originals allowing you to make a bunch more cubic inches.

Chuck I think the only differences are the Indy Legend heads, and possibly the Indy valve covers. Both because they are a hair taller. I've heard of guys having issues getting that combo to fit even in B and E bodies on the right side.

I was merely asking if that if you have 2 Hemi blocks, one of the original 426, from Map Mopar in the 60's early 70's, and if you can take that factory OEM valve covers off that 426, and bolt them right to a 528 Ma Mopar factory OEM head......Merely are all the valve covers "interchangeable" from one Hemi 426, all the way up to the 540 Hemi that was also Map Mopar OEM motor?

I'm not sure if I'm asking the question right to the answer I'm trying to find out,.....

-
Back