528 stroker build windage tray?

-
440 source has one I'll probably end up getting but they're in California and it takes a while to get to Indianapolis. I wish Mancini had one they're close

I have this composite Jeg's unit JEGS 502001: Windage Tray Big Block Mopar 383/400/413/426W/426 Hemi/440 - JEGS on my 499" RB

It's made for a 4.15" stroke. However I have a girdle on my engine, so it sits a lot further away from the crank.

If you have a girdle on your 528" you can use this windage tray and clear the stroke okay.

So you're running a stock 4.32" bore and a 4.5" stroke to get 528"? Most 528" engine are built with a 4.375" stroke.

Tom

Just a thought, what if I remove or make a window in the stock windage tray where it touches a little in a couple spots. Would that lessen the effect of the windage tray

The idea of a windage try and even a scraper like used on a lot of SBC engines is to strip the oil off of counter weights. Thus reducing the "windage" of oil that's clinging to the crank. In the case of the windage tray it also helps with not whipping up the oil in the oil pan. Although with a long skirted block and the design of most BBM oil pans I doubt this comes into play much at the RPM level you're probably turning your engine. I remember reading something years ago related to the use of windage trays not even really becoming effective until and engine reaches 5000 RPMS.

If you cut holes in it for clearance I am not sure how effective it would really be. Although I suppose anything is better than nothing.

Tom

I know guys like them but I always try to tell them it’s an unnecessary item. I ran low 10’s without one, low 9’s, and 8.40@160mph. But if it makes you feel good run one.

I know guys like them but I always try to tell them it’s an unnecessary item. I ran low 10’s without one, low 9’s, and 8.40@160mph. But if it makes you feel good run one.
I also did not run one on my small block. Considering removing it on my BB with girdle. Already a pain to keep from leaking!

-
Back