5500 Stall Converter Cruising (Video)

-
Have you ever ran this motor with a lower stall converter? Just curious. Stroker's make so much torque, they can deal with a lower stall quite well.
Not trying to take anything away from your observations. I think it's helpful for people to see how a high stall behaves too.

Yes I ran a 3000 stall when it was almost 14:1 CR. It was better for street driving strictly for keeping rpm's down (500 less at cruise than this one), but it wasn't the optimal converter for my intended purpose or this combo. I put in the fastest converter I could get in an 8". I think a 4000 stall would be an all around really good converter on a stroker street car. I often wonder what a 4000 stall would be like compared to this one in this same car. No regrets on this converter, I just wonder for comparison reasons.

I don't want to step on toes, but the idle/transition circuit could use some work too, if it's a Holley, I can help. I'd start here:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...t-level-holley-tuning-serious-ocd-tuners.html

http://www.burtonmachine.com/documentationtechnical/

Oh yeah man definitely. This carb still needs a lot of work. I scanned through that thread and I'm glad to hear that others have the same exact AFR issues I have. Also glad to see there's a step by step fix for it since I know absolutely nothing about how the metering blocks and all that work. Getting tired of 5 mpg! My foot only makes that 5 mpg number worse too. I don't want to get too far off topic in this thread, but I do appreciate the help! :cheers:

okay, to stay on topic, what tire size and gearing. All of these factors weigh in on road manners.

I would like to see you work through this in another thread for sure!

okay, to stay on topic, what tire size and gearing. All of these factors weigh in on road manners.

Tires are MT 325/50/15 ET Drag Radials. I believe they are a shade under 28". Gearing is 4.10.

Yes I ran a 3000 stall when it was almost 14:1 CR. It was better for street driving strictly for keeping rpm's down (500 less at cruise than this one), but it wasn't the optimal converter for my intended purpose or this combo. I put in the fastest converter I could get in an 8". I think a 4000 stall would be an all around really good converter on a stroker street car. I often wonder what a 4000 stall would be like compared to this one in this same car. No regrets on this converter, I just wonder for comparison reasons.

Clint I was going to ask you this in a PM but since we're talking about it here I'll post it up. Kris at Continental Convertors is building me a custom converter for my 408. I sent him a list of all my specifics and my dyno sheets. He is recommending rebuilding a stock small block convertor (10 3/4") with a 3000 stall for my application. I told him it would see little to no track time. I saw you were running 5500 stall and I was like, what the hell?!?!

I trust Kris but like every decision on this project I'm second guessing him. He has built great convertors for VOETOM in the past including one for his brother's 408 Cuda. I'm just wondering why he recommended a 3000 stall for mine?

Clint I was going to ask you this in a PM but since we're talking about it here I'll post it up. Kris at Continental Convertors is building me a custom converter for my 408. I sent him a list of all my specifics and my dyno sheets. He is recommending rebuilding a stock small block convertor (10 3/4") with a 3000 stall for my application. I told him it would see little to no track time. I saw you were running 5500 stall and I was like, what the hell?!?!

I trust Kris but like every decision on this project I'm second guessing him. He has built great convertors for VOETOM in the past including one for his brother's 408 Cuda. I'm just wondering why he recommended a 3000 stall for mine?

That really surprises me they recommended that. They were one company I consulted. They were looking at a 9" or 9-1/2" for mine same as Dynamic recommended. Something around 4000 stall but I told them it's going to see both street and track. So I guess I could see why if you told them it would rarely see the track. I have no doubt they'll build you a good converter and your car will still pull a trunk from the ground. But if you want a faster converter, just tell him you want a 9 or 9.5, whatever they build and at least a 3500 stall. That would be my personal preference. Dynamic claimed their 9.5 would knock 3 or 4 tenths off any 10" converter on the market. I don't know if that's really true but it is what they directly told me. Dynamic wasn't recommending the 8" for my car due to street driving, but they said if you want our fastest converter, the 8" is it. They even hand wrote "track only" on my receipt. I pretty much told them you build the converter, I'll deal with its street manners.

No track time and I also told him that I need to roll down the interstate about 30 miles each way. All of these things come into play when designing the converter.

No track time and I also told him that I need to roll down the interstate about 30 miles each way. All of these things come into play when designing the converter.

Yeah you'll probably want to have that lower rpm converter if you're going to be doing a lot of highway driving.

Brian that strokers gonna have so much torque that even a 3k stall will run like a scared rabbit. When I had a 727 in my car I had a 10-3/4" converter in it that was spec'd for my 360 to stall 3k, which it did. It stalled closer to 3500 with the 408 and even with 3.55 gears and 28" tall drag radials I could slow to 10-12 mph in 2nd gear and light the tires right up. Cruised real nice down the hwy too.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. While I wait on others, all I can do is second guess the decisions I've made. Now back to the thread...

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. While I wait on others, all I can do is second guess the decisions I've made. Now back to the thread...

As long as it does what you want it to do, no need to second guess anything. And don't listen to me. If that's what the converter guy says, I'd trust his judgement.

BrianT, the 3K will work perfect in your street 408. I've got a TCS(Canada) 3K in mine, and it flashes to about 3800, and pulls hard all the way to 6700+. Street cruising is just about perfect for what I intended it for.

Clinteq's setup is attempting to achieve the best of track, with reasonable street manners, and it looks like it works for what he wanted it for.

Friggin sweet man--makes me want some healthy stall in my Scamp. Awesome vids on your youtube account, funny one with the wife and mother in law

Clinteq's setup is attempting to achieve the best of track, with reasonable street manners, and it looks like it works for what he wanted it for.

You're exactly right. This setup isn't for everyone. I just wanted to show what a high stall is like on the street. It's manageable and works for me. The biggest problems I am fighting right now are carb tuning and engine water temps. Both of which I am about to get figured out I think.

............Gets back from watchin ''whole buncha" videos LOL

What did you do on the dash? Did you have to cut up the dash frame?

............Gets back from watchin ''whole buncha" videos LOL

What did you do on the dash? Did you have to cut up the dash frame?

Yes I cut out everything including the heater and radio cutouts. Made a new panel to match and then made the insert to fit like it is supposed to be there. Somewhere in the middle of my build thread shows what I did.

-
Back