588" motor in 68 cuda

-

0ld school

Reaction score
I am having Todd at Marsh Performance build my motor for me. after reading about the motor he built for moparts member Tig, I knew I wanted him to build mine. It specs:

588 ci
indy aluminum block
indy 572-13 heads 410-420 cfm
diamond gas port pistons 4.5" bore 13.5-1 cr
callies 4.625 crank
cam motion solid roller 282/[email protected] .800/.751
indy 3x intake
1150 dominator
isky xmax bushed lifters
jesel 1.7 rocker arms
oliver rods 7.100"

this is going in my 68 formula S fastback cuda. it is a 4 speed car, with a 3.73 moser dana 60. it also has a hemi denny front coil over front end.im hoping for about 3200 pounds. this is a street car only.

anybody want to guess the hp and tq for motor? I'm hoping for 900hp and 800 tq. Todd will dyno it, so I will know what it makes, and will post the results. I should have it very soon!

it does have frame connectors. I am thinking about putting a 4 point bar in it, mainly for roll over protection. it is a street car, not a drag car.

Beautiful 68, great color. Can't wait to see this engine. Can't help but think
you may need a taller hood? Yes on the frame connectors.
And with a 4-speed. Woo hoo!!! Will be fun.

Beautiful 68, great color. Can't wait to see this engine. Can't help but think
you may need a taller hood? Yes on the frame connectors.
And with a 4-speed. Woo hoo!!! Will be fun.

Thanks SSBA! it will have a fiberglass hood, with a ss style scoop. it also has fiberglass bumpers, lightweight brackets, deck lid. it has lightweight willwood brakes front and rear. with the aluminum motor and coil over front end, I am hoping for about 3200 pounds....

The motor is very close to the 572 we just did. Same block, heads, intake, 1.7 rockers, and lifters. You definitely should make more tq than me. Hp should be real close. You are building yours with a lot more compression but a little less cam. Mine came in at 11.1 comp for pump gas. We made 943hp and 777tq. Should be an awesome build!

I had my 69 Valiant weighed for a starting point to solve some problems - 400 low deck - 727 - dana 60 - HDK and it came in at 3240 pounds no cage

Jesus....crazy stuff for a street only car! I think a motor like this is capable of running low 8s if the chassis is set up right?

Keep us updated, very interesting build!

Michael

Any more pics of the 68 RR1? Burgundy paint on your Barracuda? In better light?

The motor is very close to the 572 we just did. Same block, heads, intake, 1.7 rockers, and lifters. You definitely should make more tq than me. Hp should be real close. You are building yours with a lot more compression but a little less cam. Mine came in at 11.1 comp for pump gas. We made 943hp and 777tq. Should be an awesome build!

That's just crazy wicked numbers...Just unreallll...,..,...

I am having Todd at Marsh Performance build my motor for me. after reading about the motor he built for moparts member Tig, I knew I wanted him to build mine. It specs:

588 ci
indy aluminum block
indy 572-13 heads 410-420 cfm
diamond gas port pistons 4.5" bore 13.5-1 cr
callies 4.625 crank
cam motion solid roller 282/[email protected] .800/.751
indy 3x intake
1150 dominator
isky xmax bushed lifters
jesel 1.7 rocker arms
oliver rods 7.100"

this is going in my 68 formula S fastback cuda. it is a 4 speed car, with a 3.73 moser dana 60. it also has a hemi denny front coil over front end.im hoping for about 3200 pounds. this is a street car only.

anybody want to guess the hp and tq for motor? I'm hoping for 900hp and 800 tq. Todd will dyno it, so I will know what it makes, and will post the results. I should have it very soon!
E85,or race fuel? ....
Gonna say,940_960 on race fuel,980_1000 HP on E85...The torque total number,drops with that cam,you don't need those numbers "down low,& now"..
That " if it's a 833" comments... Numbers ,aren't a problem,and you know this...Gonna say:high-mid 10's,in the 128 to 135_in the traps,before you're teched out.(optimization obtaining traction: that's your issue, lol...)

I'm going to say you should meet your goal. Solid choice on using Marsh too...

Think of it as Mutually Assured Destruction. You need it, but you should never have to use it.

Update the heads are done. They tried something a little different. They kept the port a little smaller, to help with it being a street car Wink. Still very good flow for that CC port. When he really opens them up, he said he gets about 415-420 cfm. I am also having him port the hell out of a mopar 337 manifold. I will be dynoing both the 337 and a 440-3x. Larry Smith is the head porter. He does a lot of nascar stuff.

This is a note from my engine builder:
Cool with me. Progress being made. Heads done and assembled. Larry tried something a little different on your head porting. We got them up to 405 on the intakes. Oh yeah the different part, they are only about 335cc runners. That is 50cc smaller than the Indy CNC 385 and virtually the same flow……….it being a street motor and all…….LOL!

Todd

:thumbup:Cool! Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. We'll have to compare dyno sheets when yours is all done.

Update the heads are done. They tried something a little different. They kept the port a little smaller, to help with it being a street car Wink. Still very good flow for that CC port. When he really opens them up, he said he gets about 415-420 cfm. I am also having him port the hell out of a mopar 337 manifold. I will be dynoing both the 337 and a 440-3x. Larry Smith is the head porter. He does a lot of nascar stuff.

This is a note from my engine builder:
Cool with me. Progress being made. Heads done and assembled. Larry tried something a little different on your head porting. We got them up to 405 on the intakes. Oh yeah the different part, they are only about 335cc runners. That is 50cc smaller than the Indy CNC 385 and virtually the same flow……….it being a street motor and all…….LOL!

Todd
me thinks, we, need bigger tires !

-
Back