6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
I wouldn't sweat getting it done.... If you look back the progress will show how close you are. I have been working on mine for 5 years and it can sit 5 more. Life changes and we get involved with other projects. But you will get there. The difference is you have skills where someone who doesn't would have already sold it!

On the topic of Self defense, I think there are just too many myths about how things play out if you end up in a scenario using a firearm. I'm 2A all the way but having now used one for protection and impacting a family it will change a persons perspective quick so I hope people understand the reality of pulling the trigger.... JMHO

Keep the build going, you're close....

JW
Slopar, I could not have said that better. I get so many Rambos in my classes you could not believe it. We harp over and over on the very topic of being observant and doing your absolute best not to discharge your firearm. It is a life changing event for multiple families. The impact can have devastating consequences. The shooting aspect is just one component of our classes. As for the Demon I am actually getting closer for sure. The guys on this thread and many others really help me stay motivated. Hope everyone has a great Holiday.

11/2720 So yesterday was thanksgiving for all of us down south. Our Canadien brethren get their turkey just a bit before us. I have decided to start putting a date on my posts so I can marginally keep up with a time line. I did not realize I had been doing this for right at three years. Not sure how those tv shows can do it in 4 days. Hah! So yesterday we hoisted the black flag and ate and drank like Pirates all day. It dawned on me, as my framing square turned into an air guitar that perhaps I had a bit to much whiskey thru out the day. I had some Joe Bonamassa jamming in background and a handful of adult beverages. Only witness of course was my fearless hound Hemi. We spent the better part of the day in the shop sorting out some final wiring and location of pedals. Also got seat located and put together. They are Scat Pro seats. Subtle hint all metric bolts needed. And the wire connecting the two levers for seat slide does not, will not, work as issued from factory. You must rebend it to successfully disengage both sides of slider. As you can see in the pix I got the circuit box mounted and started tidying up the wiring. I did not get over zealous organizing the wiring as I have not put power to it yet. And the absolute surest way I know to do a bunch of trouble shooting and unraveling is to zip tie and finish sheathing it all up. I just generally got it out of my way so I could locate pedals. I am not happy with pedals as I put straight connectors on several of the lines thinking I had more room, I don’t. I will need to remove the one of, custom braided, absolutely no other use, lines and toss them in my box with all the other premade lines I will never use but will not throw away. It is kind of like my cast away holster box of unused, Ill fitting holsters. I will remake the lines and put 90s on most of them. I did get seat quasi located and assembled so that was a plus. This thing is starting to look like a car. Leftover Pie and ice cream is calling my name! Have a great leftover day.

C2E53F97-A005-4280-9585-AE947E29E852.jpeg

53BB20E9-AD67-4021-89CA-C58B0DCD1E72.jpeg

3A5A1EC6-1112-4BA2-9F2C-98EBBB62077F.jpeg

2D77BBFB-738C-453D-B717-1ADBDD6ADAD1.jpeg

46B44622-1CD4-422C-87F0-E5E5957026FA.jpeg

11/2720 So yesterday was thanksgiving for all of us down south. Our Canadien brethren get their turkey just a bit before us. I have decided to start putting a date on my posts so I can marginally keep up with a time line. I did not realize I had been doing this for right at three years. Not sure how those tv shows can do it in 4 days. Hah! So yesterday we hoisted the black flag and ate and drank like Pirates all day. It dawned on me, as my framing square turned into an air guitar that perhaps I had a bit to much whiskey thru out the day. I had some Joe Bonamassa jamming in background and a handful of adult beverages. Only witness of course was my fearless hound Hemi. We spent the better part of the day in the shop sorting out some final wiring and location of pedals. Also got seat located and put together. They are Scat Pro seats. Subtle hint all metric bolts needed. And the wire connecting the two levers for seat slide does not, will not, work as issued from factory. You must rebend it to successfully disengage both sides of slider. As you can see in the pix I got the circuit box mounted and started tidying up the wiring. I did not get over zealous organizing the wiring as I have not put power to it yet. And the absolute surest way I know to do a bunch of trouble shooting and unraveling is to zip tie and finish sheathing it all up. I just generally got it out of my way so I could locate pedals. I am not happy with pedals as I put straight connectors on several of the lines thinking I had more room, I don’t. I will need to remove the one of, custom braided, absolutely no other use, lines and toss them in my box with all the other premade lines I will never use but will not throw away. It is kind of like my cast away holster box of unused, Ill fitting holsters. I will remake the lines and put 90s on most of them. I did get seat quasi located and assembled so that was a plus. This thing is starting to look like a car. Leftover Pie and ice cream is calling my name! Have a great leftover day.

View attachment 1715637797

View attachment 1715637798

View attachment 1715637799

View attachment 1715637800

View attachment 1715637801
Looking good Bro.
Damn she'll be on the road come spring I bet.
We can go cruzen soon....

Good to see the progress Brother. All settled in Saudi, so the project is on hold until I am done here. Call you when I get back to the states.

Good to see the progress Brother. All settled in Saudi, so the project is on hold until I am done here. Call you when I get back to the states.
As always glad to hear from ya, glad your still sucking air! Hope this session goes well over there. Once you rotate back in the Summer I see a road trip in my future. Can’t leave you unsupervised by all that whiskey! Be safe

12/5/20
Spent the day attaching loose grounds, and putting terminals on battery wires. Not much that was photo worthy but one of those days where you get a bunch of nit picky, junk done, then look back at the car and can’t even tell you were there all day. PITA but the non glamorous stuff needs to get done too. I am targeting bumping motor over prior to Xmas day as a present to myself. I think I am going to fill her with water to find all my leaks tomorrow, might even toss in some motor oil, engine is huge takes somewhere around 100 quarts of oil (just kidding). I will fill it with proper amount then let it settle and mark the dip stick accordingly. I should probably research fluid levels and capacities for the 6.1 as I actually have no idea! On plus side we spotted a cougar in our tree out back. Hey, what the heck if I got no car pix might as well attach wild life pix.

CE71080E-E3BA-40B5-9430-C981D083879F.jpeg

12/5/20
Spent the day attaching loose grounds, and putting terminals on battery wires. Not much that was photo worthy but one of those days where you get a bunch of nit picky, junk done, then look back at the car and can’t even tell you were there all day. PITA but the non glamorous stuff needs to get done too. I am targeting bumping motor over prior to Xmas day as a present to myself. I think I am going to fill her with water to find all my leaks tomorrow, might even toss in some motor oil, engine is huge takes somewhere around 100 quarts of oil (just kidding). I will fill it with proper amount then let it settle and mark the dip stick accordingly. I should probably research fluid levels and capacities for the 6.1 as I actually have no idea! On plus side we spotted a cougar in our tree out back. Hey, what the heck if I got no car pix might as well attach wild life pix.

View attachment 1715643035

Don't shoot it. Trap it and make a new pet..... You can thank me later....

JW

I hate wiring but has to be done and yours is worse than mine by a lot.

12/6/20
Once you decide to tackle a project such as this, (provided you don’t do it for a living) you are embarking upon a somewhat unknown journey. Not much in the way of guidance or boundaries. Most of us have a specific strength in one craft or another. Very few of us are well rounded enough to not stumble thru on occasion. Throughout the course of my now three years of rambling thoughts and mostly generally debauchery based wit, I have stolen countless ideas from this forum, picked the experts brains, and had many of you in my shop at one point or another. And in like manner have made many road trips to others shops. What a ride! I dedicate today’s rambling to my Brother over in Saudi, (you know who you are) as today it was bourbon and Cody Jinks which made me think of him as I know he likes both. I miss our often times whiskey infused “technical “ conversations on solving this issue or that. You see he is also stuffing a modern Hemi in old muscle Mopar. Lest I get side tracked (who me?) The challenge of doing this project is comprised of small victories, one after another. Today I completed a task that from a technical standpoint a 6th grader could do, but I have waited two years to button up the tranny access port for the iconic Hurst shifter. In my mind there is simply nothing else that screams Mopar like that shifter! I also got more grounding terminals done and started to tidy up battery area in trunk. Have a great week!

5D119B8B-0CFC-4CA8-A557-A87B15022D2B.jpeg

03184C45-0093-4AEA-BD54-B2FA1A7DA307.jpeg

12/6/20
Once you decide to tackle a project such as this, (provided you don’t do it for a living) you are embarking upon a somewhat unknown journey. Not much in the way of guidance or boundaries. Most of us have a specific strength in one craft or another. Very few of us are well rounded enough to not stumble thru on occasion. Throughout the course of my now three years of rambling thoughts and mostly generally debauchery based wit, I have stolen countless ideas from this forum, picked the experts brains, and had many of you in my shop at one point or another. And in like manner have made many road trips to others shops. What a ride! I dedicate today’s rambling to my Brother over in Saudi, (you know who you are) as today it was bourbon and Cody Jinks which made me think of him as I know he likes both. I miss our often times whiskey infused “technical “ conversations on solving this issue or that. You see he is also stuffing a modern Hemi in old muscle Mopar. Lest I get side tracked (who me?) The challenge of doing this project is comprised of small victories, one after another. Today I completed a task that from a technical standpoint a 6th grader could do, but I have waited two years to button up the tranny access port for the iconic Hurst shifter. In my mind there is simply nothing else that screams Mopar like that shifter! I also got more grounding terminals done and started to tidy up battery area in trunk. Have a great week!

View attachment 1715643805

View attachment 1715643806
Come home safe brother in Saudi I think John will have enough Bourbon saved up for ya and me to.

Come home safe brother in Saudi I think John will have enough Bourbon saved up for ya and me to.

will do. Making some decent scratch over here. Will set myself up for retirement, and of course, parts for the fish. And, a Hellcat possibility. Can’t take the money with you.....

Ok Sergeant Sublime, cool stuff you're doing.
I'm mostly on BookFace for the car forums and came across this a couple days ago and thought you'd be interested. I don't know who owns this Hellcat Demon but thought you should see it. My apologies if you've already seen it. Carry on.

FB_IMG_1607013203606.jpg

FB_IMG_1607013212089.jpg

FB_IMG_1607013238310.jpg

FB_IMG_1607013226977.jpg

Ok Sergeant Sublime, cool stuff you're doing.
I'm mostly on BookFace for the car forums and came across this a couple days ago and thought you'd be interested. I don't know who owns this Hellcat Demon but thought you should see it. My apologies if you've already seen it. Carry on.

View attachment 1715644138

View attachment 1715644139

View attachment 1715644140

View attachment 1715644141
Ok KosmicK, that is totally bada**! Super big thanks for the pix. And no I have never seen that one, clearly a top shelf professional type build. My body work skills begin and end with whatever knowledge I can steal from Fred! He has a super cool build thread going on his Scamp. I mean seriously how many guys have an airplane land in their town, taxi it to his garage then rip the wings off and paint it in his shop! He has guided me on all my body work challenges. I suk at best on body work but just won’t pay somebody to do it. Fred sits back in a chair and feeds Hemi treats, drinks my whiskey and tells me what to do! The Hellcat Demon is what I see in my minds eye but my hands, financing and skill set just don’t quite match up! Hah! That thing is beautiful! Thanks again!

And here is tonight’s progress or lack there of. I preface next statement due to the simple fact there are several super skilled female mechanics on this forum, Princessvaliant comes to mind instantly, Leanne the powder coater is another. So I added some high dollar Mopar antifreeze tonight only to suffer an epic fail. So after much exploring I found all of my connections and attachments were good, turns out I need a new water pump in used block I purchased. In my despair my fathers words always come back to haunt me. Keep in mind he is a Southern gentleman who has earned a living with his hands and back his entire life. To say I had a bit of a rough upbringing with no mother is a bit of an understatement! So anyway, when he would challenge me to do something that was simply beyond my physical abilities and I would protest. He would simply look me in the eye and reply “Boy, ifun it was easy women and children would do it” At that point I would wipe away my tears and reduce shovel scoop to 1/2 or 1/4 (sand) of a full scoop and toss it well over my head into cement mixer, or pick any number of construction sight chores, a small boy doing a full grown mans job was tasked to do and you get the idea. To say I was frustrated with antifreeze problem is obvious. And I had to run my fearless hound out of the shop to ensure she does not lick up any tasty antifreeze! Arghhh!

219D9773-A763-464B-B9FB-F9F1DE15C8AC.jpeg

5F15C6C3-E8FC-497F-B7B7-0C6A68200CF8.jpeg

Your dad I like but I had know Idea about you not having a mom and sorry.
As far as loosing some fluid yea I hear ya my first start up I pissed tranny fluid all over the shop floor.
When you can get it all right please come over and help me.

Your dad I like but I had know Idea about you not having a mom and sorry.
As far as loosing some fluid yea I hear ya my first start up I pissed tranny fluid all over the shop floor.
When you can get it all right please come over and help me.
Hah! Will do Fred, Hemi says to tell you hello and PS bring treats!

Hah! Will do Fred, Hemi says to tell you hello and PS bring treats!
Only the best treats might even bring a new toy next time for Hemi and a new bottle of good whiskey to add to your collection.
Really want to hear that car run sweet.

So yesterday I ripped front of motor off to access failed OEM water pump. Thing is huge! Anyway lots of bolts later and some blood on knuckles with associated vocabulary it is out. Seems like a good project for a snowy day up here on the Tundra.

4F996AFD-B61A-4485-BF72-8641CAD05A28.jpeg

820F637A-B6DA-4F06-B05D-31CE35067DED.jpeg

C347B9CE-1299-4C31-8C6E-ED0AF175D7EF.jpeg

E513AC31-C377-42CE-896D-7C1CCDBB3FD0.jpeg

77CFC92C-0BFD-42DC-8AFF-41B8EAFD28F1.jpeg

Looking good John Love the color and stripes.
I see I'm not the only one to piss antifreeze all over the shop floor. lol
Snowing up here to.

12/13/20 So as some of you may recall when doing initial plumbing I had an issue needing additional sensor inputs for fans, Holley brain, etc. I ended up fabricating a piece. I have never liked but it worked, every time I looked at it I wanted to replace it. Well now the good folks at DIY Hemi are now making a solution to that very problem. The secondary market is beginning to support more and more aspects of the Hemi swap. Super cool. I ordered me one of these gadgets, pix below. Not sure if anyone reading this thread is contemplating doing a swap but here is yet another example of the many issues you will run into and need to creatively solve, unless of course you have your own TV show, in which case it is a simple weekend swap. Hah!

FFD94889-C1D4-49C5-A9E9-22243FAE9199.jpeg

For what it's worth, the first time I fired up my 340 I expected a visit from the EPA. A bolt on the oil filter relocator wasn't tight enough and I lost almost a quart while I was busy oooohing and ahhhhing. It happens to all of us.:elmer:

Beautiful car @Sublime one!!! Much to be proud of ...

12/13/20 So as some of you may recall when doing initial plumbing I had an issue needing additional sensor inputs for fans, Holley brain, etc. Well now the good folks at DIY Hemi are now making a solution to that very problem. The secondary market is beginning to support more and more aspects of the Hemi swap. Super cool. I ordered me one of these gadgets, pix below.

View attachment 1715648266

I got in on the pre-order several months ago. It just arrived a few days ago after being in USPS purgatory. It took almost 3 weeks to get here from Louisiana. It's better than the picture. A very nicely finished CNC part!
I also have their valve cover screws. I don't know what FCA is doing, but most of the plated hardware on these engines corrode and look like crap. I was going to buy about 10 new stock screws (about $5 each) but went DIY black. Hardware is SS too.
Carry on!

20201220_105647.jpg

20201220_111522.jpg

Last edited:
Spot on Kosmic! I totally agree. I got mine this week as well. I spent yesterday changing out water pump and I installed the DIY spacer. I may have had a toddy or two and failed to get a pix. I will take one this morning of how it looks in place. I should know as I put it on twice, once backwards with sensors facing front and once correctly! You get it turned around sometimes when you do all the pre plumbing on the bench then put the whole assembled water pump in place! What an idiot! But nobody but Hemi saw me do it, so all good! Wife went to see our boy on East Coast, he is stationed at Ft Meade. So I am a bachelor all week! I even snuck in a microwaved chicken pot pie yesterday! Man I love those ! About a million calories and not much nutritional value! I see some fried chicken in my future this week as well.

-
Back