6.1 manual trans

-

WEBBY

Reaction score
I was wondering about the 6.1 in a 1969 a-body with a manual trans, clutch linkage, tti headers has issues with the manual linkage.....has anybody tried the hyd clutch.....i was also wondering about the passon 5 speed in the a-body's.....from what i read they are not out yet.....thanks webby.

Completely possible, though the mechanical clutch linkage might be tough. According to TTI's website the Z-Bar will hit their headers.

Basically to install a manual transmission behind a 6.1L Hemi, you need to buy the appropriate 10.5" flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc. The clutch disc must match your 18 spline or 23 spline input shaft naturally. You must also install a pilot bushing in the end of your 6.1L crank. To do this you must use a die grinder to carefully cut out a ring pressed into the end of the crank. A die grinder with a rotary file should do the trick. Try not to score the crank with the die grinder.

Here's a flywheel:

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/5_7L_6_1L_HEMI_Steel_Flywheel_p/p5153592.htm

A standard LA small block bell-housing will bolt up to your hemi, simply leave out the top bolt. Since the offset is .060" different between an LA small block and a Hemi, you need to take a grinder to the input shaft of your transmission and take about a .100" off the end.

Since the clutch, pressure plate, bell-housing, and transmission are all standard 4-speed parts your Z-Bar and standard throwout bearing will work fine. Thus, any aftermarket hydraulic clutch designed to work with your 4-speed should work fine.
Here's an example of one:

http://www.hotrodhydraulics.com/MOPAR-Product.htm

Finally Passon Performance APPEARS to shipping the first few orders of their 5-speed. The buzz about the transmission is generally good. Main benefits include superior strength and a drop in, installation.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I have a 4 speed installed behind a 5.7 with TTI's and a manual clutch linkage and it's not too bad a fit. I'm pretty sure my linkage pieces aren't stock A body to start with (guessing maybe F body stuff or whatever was pulled out of the junkyard until it fit before I bought the car...), but it wasn't too bad. I did end up shortening one leg of my Z bar to fit between the headers and starter, but other than that it's not really that bad.

If you are planning to install a new hemi in an A-body, I'm sure your mechanics skills will suffice to either modify the z-bar or configure a hydraulic clutch setup. I did the hydraulic clutch setup on my '73 and I'm here to tell you, it's not that hard (and I'm just a lowly 24 year old working a desk job).

I didn't know that the smallblock bellhousings bolted up to the new hemis... very good to know. I might be looking at a swap somewhere down the line now haha.

-Mike

I made it with the Toyota Supra 5 speed I had previously behind the 340. Housing is the same like from the Dakota Truck. Need that Dakota Bell and some small parts. Hydr Clutch also Dakota.
Car is quick, very fast ( believe me ;-) ) and a fuel saver.... approx 14L/100km at 150 km/h average speed.

-
Back