6.1 re-release

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
Read on another forum that MP have confimed that the 6.1 iron block is going back into production.

MP will be taking orders from Dec 8 - est price will be $1013.00.

A new run of 6.1 blocks is sorely needed. They also said that they never re-cast a block without at least SOME changes.

Moparts forum - some guy called MP and this was the advice.

He was also told the R3 block has been dis-continued as of now :(

A Siamese bore iron block capable of 500" would be cool !! That and tall deck blocks for stroker engines. I would be happy with both mods for $1013.

I really hope for a 4.20 max bore. Probably have to be siamesed to do it. The 6.1's have the room for bigger sleeves for sure. A 9.60 deck would the end game for any other competition lol! Just imagine a set of Thiteks flowing 420cfm and a 485" Gen III that could spin to 8500! LS guys would be inebriated.

I really hope for a 4.20 max bore. Probably have to be siamesed to do it. The 6.1's have the room for bigger sleeves for sure. A 9.60 deck would the end game for any other competition lol! Just imagine a set of Thiteks flowing 420cfm and a 485" Gen III that could spin to 8500! LS guys would be inebriated.

if getting a modern gen 3 hemi to spin at 8500 rpm i am in heaven. just saying. i am hoping to spin mine to 7500. that is if i am lucky.... turbo is the way to go in my mind and turbos love rpm.

If the new block allows overbore similar to the aluminum block count me in!

Rat Patrol, could you please post the Moparts link where they talk about the 6.1 block. I have tried to find it with no luck. I would like to follow the discussion.
Thank you!
Wailin

One thing that this should do is bring down the prices of the seasoned, make that, used 6.1's that are now 5+ years old. Not that I'd turn down a nice 6.1 short block for a good price, but in the $1K range for a new, and probably improved, block, well let's do it.:violent1:

Wouldn't the new 6.4L Block be more desirable? Doesn't it have a 4.090 Bore vs. the 4.055 Bore of the 6.1?

That being said it appears that both the 6.1 and 6.4 Hemi's are still stupid expensive on ebay.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

The 6.4 has the less desireable timing gear set for VVT.

Good to know. I thought the cam manufacturers had designed limiters and lock outs for the VVT solving the problem. Seems I might be mistaken.

Of course the Hellcat motors are going to be the ones to get, besides putting out 707 HP, they also have stronger internals, no VVT and a whole bunch of other go fast goodies. Wouldn't be surprised if, and when they show up on eBay that they want 15+ K for them.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

It appears the block being used for the 6.2 SC hemi is the same HD block used for the Ram 6.4 hemi truck engine. The Ram 6.4 hemi does have VVT so I don't think it would be able to be a direct replacement for the 6.1. Great article on the SC hemi: http://www.enginelabs.com/news/hellcat-hemi-chief-engineer-provides-engine-details/

I also attached the specifications for the 2014 Ram 2500/3500 which includes specifications of the Ram 6.4 hemi.

Attachments

• 2014 Ram 2500-3500 Specifications.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 243
I just bought a 2014 6.4 Hemi 2500 Ram,The truck motor does NOT have VVT,I looked and drove both the 2014 and the 2015 6.4 Ram ,I went with the 2014 cause they have a left over incentive that I couldn't pass up-Steve

That PDF file shows it but if you go look at any window sticker on a 6.4 Ram you will NOT see VVT on the engine spec,Window sticker and I went to the service dept. Manager and inquired about it not being listed anywhere,Now if you walk up to a 5.7 Hemi ram EVERYONE has VVT listed on the engine spec and window sticker--Steve

I have been looking around trying to find another source that talked about VVT for the Ram 6.4 Hemi and the only place was in the “Specifications” attached to my last post. Other sources mention MDS, but not VVT. I reread the Engine Labs article (also in my last post) about the 6.2 SC Hemi and it says this:
“Engineers studied the option of using a “cam-in-cam” to provide independent control of the valves — much like the concentric camshaft found in the Viper V10 engine. We were able to meet the goals set out for this program without going to that technology.”
So it appears that neither the 6.2 SC Hemi or the Ram 6.4 Hemi have VVT (this makes sense since they are supposedly the same block). That is good news! That means that the rereleased 6.1 block could be based on this new HD block.

Read on another forum that MP have confimed that the 6.1 iron block is going back into production.

MP will be taking orders from Dec 8 - est price will be $1013.00.

If only they could release a short block for a little more.

If only they could release a short block for a little more.

Me too, with forged innards, that would be killer. Indy still offers a 5.7 turned into a 6.4 forged for $3795 with forged internals. Maybe they will do a 426" for $3995 without core beings as Mopar has new 6.1 blocks. That 6.4 is without a core charge, by the way. No core needed.

You can buy the Ram 6.4 Hemi short block and complete engine. Same block as 6.2 SC Hemi with HD internals and heads. There are two versions of the complete engine. One with a single alternator and the other with duel alternators. The part number listed below is for the single alternator version. There is a core charge.

68226133AA – Short Block
4893478AB – Complete Engine

-
Back