6.7 Diesel turbo (he351ve)

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
Any one used one of these on a gas eng.

I have 3 of them. One completely dissembled, just to see how the VGT works and two that are un touched. One with a controller on it and one with out.

I would like to us one of these turbo for a 340 project down the road.
"A single"......is it big enough for 400-500 hp(crank hp)

All i see on the net is people using then on there 4 bangers.
Is it real that small for a turbo, for a small block gasser?????

Its too small....will "choke" before you get close to maxing out your 340.

Get a real turbo with a 68mm + compressor, and a 75mm turbine exducer and furgetaboutit.

Its too small....will "choke" before you get close to maxing out your 340.

Get a real turbo with a 68mm + compressor, and a 75mm turbine exducer and furgetaboutit.

Them cost money the 351ve/vgt i already have.

From the research i have done so far, you are right.....Its two small:(

Maybe they will come out with a new compressor wheel for it, by the time i get to this project.

They already make a new and improved exh turbine wheel.:burnout::toothy8:

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=34851&cPath=237#pricegrabber

Diesel turbos have different seals. I think they will leak oil with a gas motor vacuum behind them? Heard that somewhere... but you can always buy a gas motor seal for it. Guys use huge turbos on 8000 RPM 4 bangers and they run 30 lbs boost, your 340 would haul *** with 12psi at 5400 RPM. 2 small ones are sometimes better than 1 big one. Plumbing is almost easier with 2 also, just 2 sides to a hat.

Diesel turbos have different seals. I think they will leak oil with a gas motor vacuum behind them? Heard that somewhere... but you can always buy a gas motor seal for it.
Diesel turbos weren't designed for vacuum. Using one on a gas engine in a blow-thru fashion shouldn't create issues, so long as a blow-off valve is used. The blow-off valve will keep excessive pressure from blowing out the seals from the inside.

Mike

Diesel turbos have different seals. I think they will leak oil with a gas motor vacuum behind them? Heard that somewhere...
Hmmmm i had not heard of that or thought about it.Good point!

but you can always buy a gas motor seal for it.
They make a different seal for a vac application?

2 small ones are sometimes better than 1 big one. Plumbing is almost easier with 2 also, just 2 sides to a hat.
Have thought really hard on that route. plumbing would be much much easier. The problem is 1st, this is my first turbo build and could cause double Jeopardy (loose motor and turbos)(blow thru carb.) And 2nt it would take a lot of electronic know how, that i don't have. To be able to sink or time the two VGT's

This is why i was hoping that i could just get away with one he351VGT.
But every turbo program i us. Its not in the map unless i us two of these turbos.

Am i asking for trouble using a turbo(he351VGT) that will be running out of its map??????

http://www.turbodriven.com//perform...wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

This isn't the 351 but you can see that the map don't fit, but if you change the single to twin turbo it fits just fine.

Its cheaper to build a "Single Turbo" setup....

1 Oil feed
1 Oil drain
1 Exhaust IN, 1 exhaust out
1 Turbo Mounting Bracket
1 Wastegate
1 Turbocharger
1 Cold Side Piping
1 inlet Blowthrough carb hat
1 Boost Controller

The "proper" size turbocharger is THE Obstacle.

Roughly you need a Turbocharger that begins its Map at 1.68 PR....and roughly 650cfm/65 lb min....with the ability to be bumped up to a 2.3 PR and still have some flow....into the 85 lb min range.

Otherwise, if the turbo is sized too small, boost comes in low in the rpm range, and the turbo is surging after 4500 engine rpm and is superheating the air to the point of detonation even on Race Fuel (high octane).

I have already done the research, and your looking for a Turbocharger comparable to a Garrett Gt4202, or a GT4294.

Here go to TurbobyGarrett and search them......use the, search by product bar.....you can see maps, and compressor/turbine sizes

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/

Thanks Prine!!!!!!

I have been playing on there site for a couple days now and i can only agree with you on your turbo suggestion.:notworth:

at 400 HP it was at the bottom of the map but even going overestimating at 600 hp both of then were right in the middle of the map.

A good turbo to start with AND Grow with:cheers:
Just wish that was the turbo/s that i had, collecting dust in my garage:eek:ops:

Diesel turbos have different seals. I think they will leak oil with a gas motor vacuum behind them? Heard that somewhere... but you can always buy a gas motor seal for it. Guys use huge turbos on 8000 RPM 4 bangers and they run 30 lbs boost, your 340 would haul *** with 12psi at 5400 RPM. 2 small ones are sometimes better than 1 big one. Plumbing is almost easier with 2 also, just 2 sides to a hat.

There's a few Mustang guys around where I live who have big mack truck turbos on their race cars. They don't have any oil seeping problems. Besides, the turbo's getting 60+psi of oil pressure anyway, what difference is a few inches of vacuum gonna make? They shouldn't leak unless the seals are worn out, which they might be if they've got a buncha miles.

I'm preparing a twin GM4 setup for the dartness. and I know I'm gonna have to put oil seals in my turbos from the get-go since they're kinda, well, old.

Another thing I've learned about turbos, is that if you bolt a turbo onto a motor with little consideration for choosing the right turbo, optimizing the motor to make use of the turbo, etc. You'll still get a significant power gain. But, there's a whole mountain of more power, drivability, and reliability to be had by optimizing your setup. There's a reason someone who doesn't know the first or second thing about turbos can bolt a bigrig turbo on a worn out junkyard motor and make 100+ more horsepower.

-
Back