6 cylinder gurus... need opinion

-
I am amused by the dismissive/disparaging remarks about very up-to-date, carefully developed, thoroughly tested, and really effective cam grinds they have obviously never tried. :roll:

thats where im at dan... and once i get my combo seasoned and me along with it i plan on doing a bunch of custom grinds all over the place... just fir giggles...

granted mine will be more strip/hot street oriented but still alot to gain...

I don't know if Dan's remarks were meant as a shot at me...lol. But yes, I havent tried them. And no, I don't plan on trying. I spec my camshafts on something like this based on a combination of flowbench results, Pipemax, and my own experience. My question in regard to the regrinding was more around what are the limits with an existing core. If there's no experience here in that direction I understand and it's not a surprise.

Thanks for the tips and warning Justin. I have yet to even look at a slant head with an eye to porting, but I'll keep out of water with my sonic tester.

Wondering what each of your specific reasons are? (I will be faced with the decision whether to tear the heart out of my 6, so wondering what some specific regrets are from those who have done it.)

He has an early A. The V8 means tight exhaust mainfolds or fenderwell headers. Steering clearance issues. etc. Everything is tight on the early car with a V8. Adding the 727 just makes it tighter. The early car was designed around a slant six.

I don't know if Dan's remarks were meant as a shot at me...lol. But yes, I havent tried them.

My comment wasn't meant as a "shot", just as an eyeroll. Those cam grinds you spit on (without any actual knowledge to base your opinion on) were developed from a great deal of testing and experience by Doug Dutra, who knows more about how to make a slant-6 engine work well than you, me, and everyone else in this thread combined. Not only are they an enormous improvement over the generic-Chevy-lobes-on-Mopar-blank junk you get from the likes of Comp Cams, they're objectively quite excellent. Use them or don't, at your option; it's your engine so you get to put in whatever cam you want, but dismissing the Dutra grinds as "garbage" is both unrealistic and…well, kinda dumb.

What I wrote:
"I've seen Erson's catalog and I've toyed with the idea of having something more modern ground into a used cam"

My comment wasn't meant as a "shot", just as an eyeroll. Those cam grinds you spit on (without any actual knowledge to base your opinion on) were developed from a great deal of testing and experience by Doug Dutra, who knows more about how to make a slant-6 engine work well than you, me, and everyone else in this thread combined. Not only are they an enormous improvement over the generic-Chevy-lobes-on-Mopar-blank junk you get from the likes of Comp Cams, they're objectively quite excellent. Use them or don't, at your option; it's your engine so you get to put in whatever cam you want, but dismissing the Dutra grinds as "garbage" is both unrealistic and…well, kinda dumb.

Your "eyeroll" was a presumptuous statement. A conclusion arrived at by a closed-minded author who through his "chevy lobe" comment demonstrated a comparatively limited understanding. My statement as posted was benign. Where did I say or insinuate anything about Dutra? Or anyone else on this site? Or the manufacturers? I've looked at a few of the limited shelf choices, and I'll look at more before I decide what to do.
In terms of who I listen to... It's Leo Santucci. Leo was winning with 6s before I was walking in his 1950 Chevy. He's been repeatedly published in regard to six xylinder performance. His newer car is here:

http://www.cdpautomachine.com/leo/owner.html

Leo is a friend of mine, I moonlighted at this shop and Larry's is now the shop I use. I was present and helped him at a few track testing sessions. His daughter is a neighbor of mine and he lives a mile from me. If I need any tech questions answered, I'll speak to Leo first. Before Dutra, before anyone here.

Thanks for your previous constructive posts.

if its a re ring...then ur stuck with the regular 225 rods,pistons.
I'd mill the block .036 before it go's together and then the head .024, then do some 318 valves, not the 1.70/1.44..but if those r all u can get or make work, then fine.
Since u know a lil about porting,, ill tell u this...DO NOT RAISE THE ROOF MUCH.lol...u'll hit water on the low side of the guide as well..lol...the floor/bowl/ssr is where u find the most cfm gain....funny ports they are. 'ill be experimenting some more with them to get ready for an up coming job'
I would also 'done this at home' cross drill the crank for full time oiling and at the same time keep the standard main bearing and surface so that it all stays together and even runs a lil cooler. only has 4 mains and an 85 lb crank flying around..lol..btw u have to go through the convertor pilot register to get that last main to rod drilled through.
You can also make or buy a windage tray, weld a baffle into the sump with vents for drain back.

The super 6 intake is nice...nice and heavy.lol...but the header add on will lighten it a lil at the same time. I like the long tube heads...i used the MP one for my 71 swinger...but u need the early style.

Also the head gasket 'between 3/4 near the intake side can be opened up to the water passage, this helps the those cylinders cool better 'they tend to run hotter for obvious reasons'

as for cams?
yeah the ones offered sound crummy.lol...but these dont like to rev without a lot of compression and cam...and well, they dont do well 'being a smaller cid' with power under the bigger cams curve.

I ran the old MP .460/268* cam....but i think they need more lift...like .490-.520 lift and the same 268*-272* duration 'faster lobes'....hate to say it but maybe talk to hughes or engle about it.
Great advice.I hope that upcoming job is my slant head !!!

-
Back