/6 in a Ramcharger???

-
Blah blah blah.....215 pounds of torque DOES NOT COMPARE to the torque output of a modern day diesel,, similar to the one in my Cehbby....600+ pounds of torque. Sure, if you gear the snot out of something it will move something, til you reach the failure point. 4.56 gears? Come on now, with no od and tall tires they aint very friendly. My diesel will easily pull 12k pounds......Is capable of easily hitting triple digit speeds....Can cruise at 90 mph with the car on the trailer behind it....

Blah blah blah.....215 pounds of torque DOES NOT COMPARE to the torque output of a modern day diesel,, similar to the one in my Cehbby....600+ pounds of torque. Sure, if you gear the snot out of something it will move something, til you reach the failure point. 4.56 gears? Come on now, with no od and tall tires they aint very friendly. My diesel will easily pull 12k pounds......Is capable of easily hitting triple digit speeds....Can cruise at 90 mph with the car on the trailer behind it....

agreed, a slant is great for cars but thats where it ends; would I go out of my way to buy a slant truck or dumptruck? hell no, if the price was right and I wanted to do an engine swap I probably would

slants are a 27 year old engine (at the very newest) sure they probably did put out 215 pounds of torque on the assembly line, but sure as heck don't anymore

anything bigger then a car and I'll take a v8 or a cummins anyday

Love it! I'd drive the stew outta that! Hell, my buddies d150 is a /6. 4speed truck and he uses it as a car hauler on a daily basis lol only does 55 max with a load, but get the same 8mpg loaded as it does unloaded.

There is a small little hill not to far form me.....would pay to watch someone try to tow a car up it with a 2 + ton vehicle with a / in it......my Duramax with a 4" exhaust, programmer and air intake kit has to work to pull a car up it.....Folks can what you want, but here in the real world you need torque to pull things... My truck, when I had it dynoed right after I bought it, puts out a touch over 600 foot pounds of torque... does the / even get into the 3 digit zone when it comes to torque? Torque moves things, not wishful thinking....

Many trucks used slants, in 1-ton vans and even D300 pickups! Heck, many class A motorhomes only had 2bbl 318's. It would be slow, but would pull it if geared correctly.

yes the slant 6 has torque, but its also a very crappy truck engine, works great in small cars such as A bodies but thats about where it ends

can you imagine driving a 3 ton dump truck with a slant!

I drove a Ford F-800 ramp truck (GVWR 31,500) that was "powered" by a 2bbl 361 gasser with about 170HP. I got my CDL in a 1984 Ford L7000 soda truck (GVWR 28,500) with a 190HP 370 gasser.

Drove a 35,000GVWR bus with a 160HP 6V71N.

I've got a slant six 86 Ram W100 out in the drive that has done more work than most trucks. I've personally been witness to it plowing 4ft of snow and hauling beds full and overflowing of top soil, and numerious full bed loads of cut firewood. It was never short on power or torque with the 435, not to mention when needed the low range in 4wd.

I really wish the Ohio winters hadn't been so hard on the truck. The thing only has 32,000 miles on it which are verified, my dad bought the truck new. I'd love to fix the thing but I believe it's just too late.

One thing I'm not sure of is I was researching this thing a few months back and there are a few things about this truck that if you look at all information it shouldn't exist. Unless the information isn't correct.

Chrysler built PLENTY of trucks that "should not exist"! My friend's grandfather has one: 1976 W-300 extended-cab, 440/NP435/NP203, with factory A/C, camper package, and Sno-Commander package.

Chrysler built PLENTY of trucks that "should not exist"! My friend's grandfather has one: 1976 W-300 extended-cab, 440/NP435/NP203, with factory A/C, camper package, and Sno-Commander package.

Didn't Know you could get A/C and the sno-commander package, I'm assuming it doesn't have power steering.

There is a small little hill not to far form me.....would pay to watch someone try to tow a car up it with a 2 + ton vehicle with a / in it......my Duramax with a 4" exhaust, programmer and air intake kit has to work to pull a car up it.....Folks can what you want, but here in the real world you need torque to pull things... My truck, when I had it dynoed right after I bought it, puts out a touch over 600 foot pounds of torque... does the / even get into the 3 digit zone when it comes to torque? Torque moves things, not wishful thinking....

You gotta remember ma installed 4.10 ratios in some trucks

If you think a s6 Ramcharger is odd, Have any of you seen a v6 Gen 1 v6 Durango, a chrysler warranty rep told me there actaully a hand full of 4 wd v6 Durangos built that way

If you think a s6 Ramcharger is odd, Have any of you seen a v6 Gen 1 v6 Durango, a chrysler warranty rep told me there actaully a hand full of 4 wd v6 Durangos built that way
theres several Gen 1 4wd durangos with the v6. I've seen as many of those as I have the Dakotas out here

Didn't Know you could get A/C and the sno-commander package, I'm assuming it doesn't have power steering.

Exactly my point! Note also: the NP203 was supposed to be only for automatics. It is absolutely loaded to the gills: A/C, power steering, power brakes, power windows, AM/FM/8-track, clearance lights, sliding rear window, tilt column...everything but the automatic trans and Kali emissions.

Seen one, but it was a 2WD...base model, originally a fleet truck. Also saw a V6/auto Quad Cab 4x4 Dakota. Can you say putt...putt...putt?

Exactly my point! Note also: the NP203 was supposed to be only for automatics..

Actually, that's not true.

The NP203 was in use in 1974 on the Ramcharger & Trailduster, with Automatics & Manuals (NP435, NP445, A250, and 727).

In 1975 the 203 replaced the 205 on All Dodge Trucks, Manual and Automatic and was the only transfer case available in W100, 200 & 300 trucks until 1979.

Also, the Tilt Steering Column was never offered in 4-Speed Manual Dodge Truck, because the Ignition Switch on tilt column occupies the same space as the clutch pedal. One or the other, but not both. Though people have modified clutch pedals (cut them, welded in a C section) to clear the Ignition Switch to use a Tilt Column in a 4-Speed Truck.

You're right: I just asked...it does NOT have a tilt column. But it DOES have cruise control.

my story and i'm stickin to it!!!! 10-13 yrs ago i had 88 or 89 (last yr for /6) in 1/2 ton truck 2 wd, 4 spd od, pulled my car huntin trailer with it. usually loaded with b bodies). hard to get goin ( sold it cause i worried about burnin up clutch), ( stupid me!!!) but had great power , but no i didn't have to pull big hills, (rollin hills of w. missouri, etc..))also had 70 something power wagon, 4 spd /6, the kid i got it from never got out pulled, ( log chain hooked to each truck)

-
Back