/6 Oil Pan

-

d3fiant1

Reaction score
How hard is it to remove the oil pan in my slant 6 to replace the gaskets? I know I have to move the steering links out of the way, but do I have to unbolt the motor mounts? It seems as though I should have clearance with the motor in place.

Thanks for any input

In my Opinion you are better off pulling the engine. It is a real Bixxx to do on your back with NO clearance. The rear main is not easy to seal when its on a stand.
Reference slantsix.org main page article on Rear Main seal replacement for a great way to get it to seal.
Frank

In my Opinion you are better off pulling the engine. It is a real Bixxx to do on your back with NO clearance. The rear main is not easy to seal when its on a stand.
Reference slantsix.org main page article on Rear Main seal replacement for a great way to get it to seal.
Frank

yeah mine wasnt easy on the engine stand...i felt like an idiot trying to piecing the oil pan seal together like a puzzle... i'm used to the newer cars..that are really easy IMO

also go buy buy 5/16 SS allen set screws, lock tight them in and then use a washer and nylock, that way they wont come loose and the gaskets dont move on ya...
and yea i did it in my dart once and it kicked my ***... got it back together and still leaked!

pull it the motor

Pulling the motor seems to be the only option to keep it from leaking. But when I do that, it will be to put in a small block :-D I'll just live with it until then being that it's not a daily driver.

Thanks for the advice

But when I do that, it will be to put in a small block :-D
Thanks for the advice

why? you can make some good power with the slant. just look at Franks' sig (66acuda)

they dont call it the leaning tower of power for nuttin.

why? you can make some good power with the slant. just look at Franks' sig (66acuda)

they dont call it the leaning tower of power for nuttin.

Out of a 198? If I could find parts that were as easily available and priced comparable to a V8 I'd consider it. Only place I know of for parts is Clifford Performance.

i'm pretty sure there is alot more than just clifford... maybe you can get the guys here on the board to help you with a cost analysis

Out of a 198? If I could find parts that were as easily available and priced comparable to a V8 I'd consider it. Only place I know of for parts is Clifford Performance.

Clifford is the last place to go for parts. I built my 66 Valiant for about $1500 including buying the car. Granted it is a drag only and not a great body, but it does run low to mid 13's in the 1/4 mile (should be in the 12's).

My Cuda has a 170 engine, and is street legal. Runs about the same, but I have more invested, but not a ton.

Clifford is the last place to go for parts. I built my 66 Valiant for about $1500 including buying the car. Granted it is a drag only and not a great body, but it does run low to mid 13's in the 1/4 mile (should be in the 12's).

My Cuda has a 170 engine, and is street legal. Runs about the same, but I have more invested, but not a ton.

So where is the place to buy parts for a street /6; like a mild cam, aluminum intake and header?

So where is the place to buy parts for a street /6; like a mild cam, aluminum intake and header?

Best place is actually e-bay or swap meets, for non wear items. Pistons, rings and bearings show up on a regular basis. As do intakes (Clifford and Offie). Aussie Speed has several slant intakes. Headers for a 67 or newer "A" body are available from Hooker, Aussie Speed (frank, 66acuda on this site) and even Clifford (only part I buy, and only if in stock). Several sources for cams, both new and regrind.
Take a look at www.slantsix.org for more sources.
Here is a link to the build of my Valiant, just to give you ideas.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218

Best place is actually e-bay or swap meets, for non wear items. Pistons, rings and bearings show up on a regular basis. As do intakes (Clifford and Offie). Aussie Speed has several slant intakes. Headers for a 67 or newer "A" body are available from Hooker, Aussie Speed (frank, 66acuda on this site) and even Clifford (only part I buy, and only if in stock). Several sources for cams, both new and regrind.
Take a look at www.slantsix.org for more sources.
Here is a link to the build of my Valiant, just to give you ideas.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218

Thanks. I would want a 6 into 1, one-piece header. Can't seem to find one. And it seems that the Aussiespeed intakes recommend a separate heater for their manifolds. I seem to remember someone making an intake that used the engine antifreeze without modification.

-
Back