/6 or v8 swap?

-
I do have a few slant six engines laying around. But all of them came out of cars that have sat for 20 years or more. Same with a few of the SB engines. So none of them are drop in ready and will at least need opened up to give them a look over and at least a regasket. She's not much on chatting with anyone about anything, at least not random strangers. She and my kids are not really into that, they make me call parts houses, vendors, appointments, etc as I had a very sociable job for many years and can talk about anything with anyone at any time. But a car like this may bring her out of the shell. My oldest son is learning this with his 71 valiant as every car guy that sees it in a parking lot approaches him about it. And he does like to see people interested in it.
It is a bit disturbing to come out of the grocery store and see 2 or more guys standing by your car waiting for the owner to come out so they can chat about it and see if it is for sale.

I can understand how she feels. As a female with a daily driven mopar..... it feels weird and it happens a lot. Guys are expecting a dude to come out and car chat. I don't mind car chatting but not in a parking lot with a guy or 2 more that I don't know and I am by myself.

It was worse way back when I had a 70 cuda. Glad that thing is gone.

She doesnt want you to mod it your way, dump a stock 225 slant sux back in it w electronic ignition, back it with an A904 slush box , and a 2 bbl super six intake. It uses a regular 2bbl carter ball n ball carb thats been around probably 50 years. Let her drive that dog around, and be done with it, then you can go on back to your own projects.

It is a bit disturbing to come out of the grocery store and see 2 or more guys standing by your car waiting for the owner to come out so they can chat about it and see if it is for sale.

I can understand how she feels. As a female with a daily driven mopar..... it feels weird and it happens a lot. Guys are expecting a dude to come out and car chat. I don't mind car chatting but not in a parking lot with a guy or 2 more that I don't know and I am by myself.

It was worse way back when I had a 70 cuda. Glad that thing is gone.
Get a concealed carry permit. Pack heat. Problem solved.

I should have her take my nephews 1966 valiant for a spin. Its a bone stock /6 that's dog tired, she would at least get an idea of what to expect. He parks it at my place.

Yep, let her drive a gutless turd, so she knows what shes getting. Seriously in something like that, who gives a rats *** about mileage. Now the big block 4x4 suburban with 37" tires on it ?!? Sheeeeit i coulda told you the only thing that thing would never pass woulda been a gas station.

Its a what 2&1/2 ton truck, lifted, 4x4, big assed tires, there isnt a damn thing about it that would make it any more fuel efficient, and to think you could have made it more fuel efficient ?!? somebody sold you on that idea. Tell you what i got a nice bridge in brooklyn i will sell you.

The only way to make Mr. 'Burban a little more fuel efficient would have been to make it 2wd and start from there, add in an O/D automatic, and a nice multiport LS V8 maybe an LQ4 series.

Last edited:
Simply ask your wife?
Oh we have talked about it a few times. Just as recent as today. She decided she wants just the stock or very mild /6 it would have had in it. No plans to race, fine with show and slow. I asked her to take the nephew's car for a spin to see how turd it is. Said no need, she'll see it in her car when it's done. So I guess I will put a /6 on an engine stand and be asking lots of questions on how to build a 6. First question. What is the cog looking gear under the distributor? I pulled one out yesterday and what looks like a cover plate was missing and a gear looking cog fell out. I have no idea what it is.

Slant Six = Boat Anchor

Play through.
I'm sorry as much as I respect your knowledge and experience I have to disagree with you. A well maintained slant six will give years and years of reliable service. Maybe it's not the best choice for a low ET or a burnout contest but I feel anyone would have a hard time finding a more reliable and dependable engine.

You dont have to spend a fortune on a slant to make it a better performer for daily duty. I drive my 71 slant valiant daily in summer. Never lets me down. Sure, its not a hopped up v8....but most of those in this city seem to sit parked all week because of gas prices and are weekend cars.

Honestly if you could get a 4 speed auto in there and better gears it would be night and day.

Oh we have talked about it a few times. Just as recent as today. She decided she wants just the stock or very mild /6 it would have had in it. No plans to race, fine with show and slow. I asked her to take the nephew's car for a spin to see how turd it is. Said no need, she'll see it in her car when it's done. So I guess I will put a /6 on an engine stand and be asking lots of questions on how to build a 6. First question. What is the cog looking gear under the distributor? I pulled one out yesterday and what looks like a cover plate was missing and a gear looking cog fell out. I have no idea what it is.

Thats what she wants, give it to her, and move on. Slant sux uses a nylon plastic distributor drive gear, the it runs of the camshaft. Distributor shaft has a spiral grove in it to draw oil up and keep the bronse bushing in it lubricated. Over time the shafts can coke up with oil, lock up, and break the gear. Its a built in weak link so the camshaft doesnt get destroyed. Changing a cam on a slanty with engine in the car sucks. This was actually a good idea the way mopar did this. A new gear w roll pin and thrust washer will run you about $10.i bet theres plenty of those engines with small chunks of plastic gear in the oil pans still driving around lol.

Super six it w a 2bbl, put a hot electonic ignition in it, maybe an HEI conversion. maybe cam it a little, do some porting and port matching, put a header on it. And run duals. Maybe add an electric fuel pump for ease of starting after it sits, you can also use a denso mini hi torque starter off any magnum 3.9, 5.2 or 5.9 engine. Small and light, sounds better than the whiney box o rox OEM that came on the six. You can mill the head for compression safely up to .090" just make sure your headbolts dont bottom out before they tighten fully.

I did a mild rebuild on a slant sux in a 69 dodge dart western sport special 23 years ago. I couldent afford a V8 swap back then, internet was either non existant or in its infancy back then. I dont think schumacher was even around for swap mounts. Anyhow, the head was warped to ****. They took .090" off to square it up. I think you can actually go up to .120" but would need to check my direct connection engine speed secrets book on that. After my .090" mill job It popped a new permatorque headgasket soon after i put it back on. I cut 1/8" off the bottom of all the headbolts for gasket #2 and no problem after that.

If your running a slushie, maybe a higher stall converter, and a mild shift kit, and a numerically higher rear end gear at minimum 3.23. To make it a bit less gutless.

Hope this helps you make it a little less of a turd.
Matt

Last edited:
My aunt had a Chevette for years. Growing up I always wanted that thing. For the life of me I don't know why. I can say for sure that a Chevette would not be on her list. Lol.

Get one in red, tell her your buying her a red 'vette. You wouldent be lying.

You could sing prince's song

Little red shevette
Baby your a piece of ****
Little red shevette
Baby your a piece of ****

Get one in red, tell her your buying her a red 'vette
I'll keep an eye out for one. If I can find one on the cheap (who would pay more than $300) I'll grab it up and let you know how that goes. Haha, probably be driving it myself. And if I sing her the prince song like that I have to hope she knows I'm calling the car a p.o.s, lol or I'll be driving it myself with a black eye.

Years ago like 1989 a buddy of mine was looking for a cheap wintertime car. We both worked at an auto auction. They were selling off N.J. bell phone vans and supervisor cars. The cars were chevette scooter 2 door hatchbacks, manual everything, no A/C, no rear defroster. So he has a car dealer friend bid on one. Not realizing they were being sold as "lots" and only 1 vehicle from each "lot" would run thru the auctioneer block. So he goes to get his title xfer for his chevette thinking it should cost about $10, lady behind the window says no sir it will be $40. You purchased a "lot" of cars, he says no i didnt purchase a bunch of cars i purchased 1 car. She says no you bit on a representation of the 4 vehicles in your "lot" so he payed $16.25 each for a grand total of $65 for 4 chevettes. He parked 3 in his moms back yard, drove the 4th one and used parts off the other 3 to keep it running. When he was done with it a few years later, he sold all 4 to the salvage yard for $25 each car lol.

Last edited:
-
Back