6 Pack vs. 650 4BBL?

-

Eddie348

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Good morning. Will running a 6 pack set up on a mildly built 340 have a differnce over a 650 4bbl? Automatic transmission. Thank you in advance

Good morning. Will running a 6 pack set up on a mildly built 340 have a differnce over a 650 4bbl? Automatic transmission. Thank you in advance
It will have a big difference on the "wow" factor when you open your hood.
If you mean performance wise, need the rest of the build, and what 650/intake you have now.

The Wow factor is worth it. Go 6 pack.
Yes this is mine.

20160404_195801.jpg

It will have a big difference on the "wow" factor when you open your hood.
If you mean performance wise, need the rest of the build, and what 650/intake you have now.
Thank you.

Yes performance wise. Mild cam, headers, .40 over 300HP. 3.55 gear etc. Auto trans.

Want the wow factor when I hit the peadal.

Thank you

Yes if it is set up correctly it will make a big difference in performance

No way will I say the 6 pack out runs a "good" 650 on your LD340. What 650? You might even see an improvement if you go to a 750 double pumper on top that intake.
Very rarely do u see a 6 pack on a street car faster than 11's, and how many do u see in the 9's? Just say'n.... but try and see? before and after at the strip and post :D Them are always fun

No way will I say the 6 pack out runs a "good" 650 on your LD340. What 650? You might even see an improvement if you go to a 750 double pumper on top that intake.
Very rarely do u see a 6 pack on a street car faster than 11's, and how many do u see in the 9's? Just say'n
Sorry it is a Holley 600 -
Holley 4160 Adjustable Float Carburetors 0-80457S

My 340 6 pack ran in the 11's, just sayin
for sure they can, I guess I was just say'n walk around the fastest cars at the strip and see what's on top. Just say'n it's not the single 4 bbl holding him back

Sorry it is a Holley 600 -
Holley 4160 Adjustable Float Carburetors 0-80457S
That... in my opinion is a problem..... much better performance carbs out there other than that. 770 street avenger, 750 double pumper, and the list will go on and on

That... in my opinion is a problem..... much better performance carbs out there other than that. 770 street avenger, 750 double pumper, and the list will go on and on
Understood. How about the the 750 Demon on top of the LD340? Thank you

You’ll have way more cfm on tap. It’ll probably take some work to get the timing correct on the outboards. they need to open slowly and late enough to not bog the engine (in your application). It will run stronger than you’re current set up once it’s dialed. There will always be six pack naysayers. I am able to run 10.90’s using one on a 511 in a 4000# b body. It doesn’t run that way by accident though.

E4E9CC99-92D1-40A3-9D47-5C88B982815F.jpeg

You’ll have way more cfm on tap. It’ll probably take some work to get the timing correct on the outboards. they need to open slowly and late enough to not bog the engine (in your application). It will run stronger than you’re current set up once it’s dialed. There will always be six pack naysayers. I am able to run 10.90’s using one on a 511 in a 4000# b body. It doesn’t run that way by accident though.

View attachment 1715121364
Very nice set up. I car in reference for either application is a 69 Dart GTS. Thanks

Eddie, some like quick fuel carbs, but I've not had personal experience with them. I have had excellent experiences with the Holley's street avengers and double pumpers. There are plenty of good used ones to be had for half the price of new, even right here on this site.
  • For the record, I'm not a naysayer on 6 packs. I love 6 packs, and they will perform, I just said it's not necessary to go fast and certainly not the cheapest way to go fast. And I stick to my guns, the fastest cars at the drag strips are NOT 6 packs. Even when money is not the object, but speed is, you won't find a six pack on the quickest cars. Now some will think I'm knocking 6 packs... LOL..

Eddie, some like quick fuel carbs, but I've not had personal experience with them. I have had excellent experiences with the Holley's street avengers and double pumpers. There are plenty of good used ones to be had for half the price of new, even right here on this site.
  • For the record, I'm not a naysayer on 6 packs. I love 6 packs, and they will perform, I just said it's not necessary to go fast and certainly not the cheapest way to go fast. And I stick to my guns, the fastest cars at the drag strips are NOT 6 packs. Even when money is not the object, but speed is, you won't find a six pack on the quickest cars. Now some will think I'm knocking 6 packs... LOL.. Just like the dual quads, say they aren't necessary and here they come.. :D
318 - Thank you for all the advice I am just looking to be able to have a good performing car and would like to at least take on these young bucks in these new Charger's and Challengers off the light and have them respect there elder's( Car and Me) The demon is a Holley product as well.
Demon Carburetion Street Demon Carburetors 1904

318 - Thank you for all the advice I am just looking to be able to have a good performing car and would like to at least take on these young bucks in these new Charger's and Challengers off the light and have them respect there elder's( Car and Me) The demon is a Holley product as well.
Demon Carburetion Street Demon Carburetors 1904
Should have no problem having some fun. Yeah, I know Demon is a Holley product, but there are some pretty ugly reviews right here on FABO about them. Personally, I've never bought one.
Here, right now on FABO....
I'd take the 650 DP in this post.... or either one of these two would out perform your carb
[FOR SALE] - PRICE LOWERED----Holley 670 street avenger & Holley 650 DP
Or the 770 in this post...
[FOR SALE] - Holley Avenger Carb and Nascar Fuel Pump
or just a good ole' fashion 750 dp holley.

chrysler rated the 1968-71 340 4 barrel (625 avs and 750 thermoquad) at 275 hp. and the 1970 six pack at 290 hp-these are accurate numbers for stock. at the strip throwing on a 950 4 barrel is easier, especially for the nonmopar chumps. and the wow factor!

chrysler rated the 1968-71 340 4 barrel (625 avs and 750 thermoquad) at 275 hp. and the 1970 six pack at 290 hp-these are accurate numbers for stock. at the strip throwing on a 950 4 barrel is easier, especially for the nonmopar chumps. and the wow factor!
and they have the same everything else in the motor? 15 hp for 1000 bucks today, and I bet I could get 15 hp by bolting on a used Eddy RPM and 750 dp, probably getting the pair for 400 buck. Not to mention ease of tuning, this is my point. Love 6 packs! Cool looking! Not the most bang for the buck. Who can argue, other than just to argue...

P.S. - neither hp rating was accurate. 310 for the 68-71 340 would be a bit more accurate.

Last edited:
and they have the same everything else in the motor? Cam and all is the same?

P.S. - neither hp rating was accurate. 310 for the 68-71 340 would be a bit more accurate.
Interesting only 15 more HP with the 6pack set up? Thanks guys

Here is a picture of my old 6 pack 11 sec car covered in dust.
The last picture was in the late 80's, at that time it ran 12.10 consistently

1.JPG

1.1.JPG

008.JPG

-
Back