6 Pack vs. 650 4BBL?

-
I bet your intake with a 750 dp would give ya that....
318 I am going to try the 750 and see what it does performance wise. Here is a picture of the LD340 - Had it cleaned up and powder coated. Full engine picture is engine completed.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Engine 2.jpg

I have $1800 in to my photo I posted. Yeah I have the Air Cleaner too. So it's not cheap

20160311_210635.jpg

Eddie, some like quick fuel carbs, but I've not had personal experience with them. I have had excellent experiences with the Holley's street avengers and double pumpers. There are plenty of good used ones to be had for half the price of new, even right here on this site.
  • For the record, I'm not a naysayer on 6 packs. I love 6 packs, and they will perform, I just said it's not necessary to go fast and certainly not the cheapest way to go fast. And I stick to my guns, the fastest cars at the drag strips are NOT 6 packs. Even when money is not the object, but speed is, you won't find a six pack on the quickest cars. Now some will think I'm knocking 6 packs... LOL..

I agree to the point that six packs have their limitations. Especially on the dual plane. I see it in the distribution on the big motor. a single 4 and a cast intake also has limitations. Fast N/A combos run sheet metal intakes and split dominators, not 4150 single carbs. Just for comparison the six pack is just as fast as this set up below. It’s a 1050AN carb I built. It’s very well dialed. I had guys tell me that the single 4 would kill the six pack so I tested it on purpose. I also plan on trying my 1050 dominator on it in the spring. I like to tinker and compare things. There’s always ways to go faster, the six packs look a hell of a lot cooler though than a single 4 and has much more potential than the credit they get.

E96D5A6D-E0FC-45FB-9702-E7EBFF20635E.jpeg

Here’s two time slips, can anyone tell me which is the six pack and which is the 1050 carb, it has a 1.59 Venturi and is much more serious than some of the door stops being discussed. These were different days and both times I drove to the track. Hardly a blow out. Now I did get a 10.92 pass out of the single four. But in all fairness I’ve made 2 passes on the six pack, and a dozen or so on the 1050. And this car is not a race car by any means. It’s just a good running b body that chews on hell cats.

D9A125D8-5FEC-4BAB-BD8F-7675F2003CAB.jpeg
DAE7A270-6A1D-4DFB-A8D1-FCC71C1EA634.jpeg

Last edited:
I absolutely agree, six packs have their limitations. Especially on the dual plane. I see it in the distribution on the big motor. a single 4 and a cast intake also has limitations. Fast N/A combos run sheet metal intakes and split dominators. Just for comparison the six pack is just as fast as this set up below. It’s a 1050AN carb I built. It’s very well dialed. I had guys tell me that the single 4 would kill the six pack so I tested it on purpose. I also plan on trying my 1050 dominator on it in the spring. I like to tinker and compare things. There’s always ways to go faster, the six packs look a hell of a lot cooler though than a single 4 and has much more potential than the credit they get.

View attachment 1715121375

View attachment 1715121374
Mean looking engine. I bet it's a beast..

Compared to a 4 bbl 6 pack is about 950 cfm. Its not the carbs but the intake that holds it back. Rpm airgap version of the sixpack would be an nice update.

I absolutely agree, six packs have their limitations. Especially on the dual plane. I see it in the distribution on the big motor. a single 4 and a cast intake also has limitations. Fast N/A combos run sheet metal intakes and split dominators. Just for comparison the six pack is just as fast as this set up below. It’s a 1050AN carb I built. It’s very well dialed. I had guys tell me that the single 4 would kill the six pack so I tested it on purpose. I also plan on trying my 1050 dominator on it in the spring. I like to tinker and compare things. There’s always ways to go faster, the six packs look a hell of a lot cooler though than a single 4 and has much more potential than the credit they get.

View attachment 1715121375
Me too! I'm a "go see" type of fellow :)

I built this custom set up for a guy out of 3 500's, and they all have pumps.
The outboards are a little smaller than the vacuums and the center is bigger.
I have also made a 500 cfm for the center carb for a guy with stock vacuum outboards
and that worked better for the 500 cu in motor.

024.JPG

I have also made a 500 cfm for the center carb for a guy with stock vacuum outboards

View attachment 1715121382
That has a wow factor. So do you have any 6 packs that you have built for sale?

View attachment 1715121382

If you look close you’ll see my vacuum set up has the 4412.

Also playing with a 4412 in the mechanical set up that you made the linkage for!

83C8EB7F-6CAB-43B1-BD63-F5C0D88A7501.jpeg

Thank you.

Yes performance wise. Mild cam, headers, .40 over 300HP. 3.55 gear etc. Auto trans.

Want the wow factor when I hit the peadal.

Thank you
At your power level, and for your stated useage, I can think of other ways to spend $1800, to go faster, harder, further , and with more wow, when I hit the pedal.

At your power level, and for your stated useage, I can think of other ways to spend $1800, to go faster, harder, further , and with more wow, when I hit the pedal.
Good evening. Please share how? Thanks in advance

You can't squeeze out more power then your heads will àllow. Heads are the main difference between 300/400/500/600 NA HP engines. Then cam decides how much of the available hp your gonna get. Then you need to match the intake, exhaust and cr to cam and heads. And Finish out by stall and gears.

318 - Thank you for all the advice I am just looking to be able to have a good performing car and would like to at least take on these young bucks in these new Charger's and Challengers off the light and have them respect there elder's( Car and Me) The demon is a Holley product as well.

60 fts,TM,(TorqueMultiplication),weight reduction, and cylinder pressure.
I'm assuming "off the light" means off the stop light and not the tree. In which case traction is gonna be your biggest issue. Then TC.Then gears. Cylinder pressure you may already have lots of.And your car is already one of the lightest A-bodies around.
>All the gears and TC in the world won't help you at 300HP if you can't make it stick. So 60fts is first.
>The TC will let the car launch at a higher rpm where there is more power, which, with lack of traction, just makes things worse.
>The gears, you need, to put down more average hp during the running distance. If you can use up 2 gears from zero to 60, instead of 1 gear, then the average power goes up, and that gets you closer to teaching 'em a lesson.
>So 60fts is first.

Last edited:
It is true that "generally" a good tuned single carburetor will run better and out perform multiple carburetors.

That said, if you know how to properly tune a six pack, it is not true. The reason is because the center carburetor is a mechanical carburetor. It has its own accelerator pump and it is connected directly to the car's throttle linkage. When the accelerator pedal is depressed, the center carburetor opens. Not true of the outboard carburetors.

Both the outboard carburetors. are vacuum secondary units. They only open as the engine demands it. If properly tuned and adjusted, the six pack is nearly unbeatable. Do the math. You're talking about a 600 CFM carburetor and trying to compare it to an 1100 CFM six pack. Ain't happenin. Some people say they spec out at "only" 900 or so CFM. Even still, the six pack wins out heavily when properly tuned.

The keyword in all this is "properly".

As noted in a couple of posts here already, lots of racers use them. Lots of racers won using them. Lots of records have been made......and broken with six packs.

All of this said, the exact polar opposite can be true if you do not learn how to tune them. They can be your worst nightmare. If you really want to run one, find someone who has REALLY run them. Pick their brain.....BEFORE you buy a six pack. That way, you will know for sure it is is something you want to put that much effort into.

Last edited:
Should have no problem having some fun. Yeah, I know Demon is a Holley product, but there are some pretty ugly reviews right here on FABO about them. Personally, I've never bought one.
Here, right now on FABO....
I'd take the 650 DP in this post.... or either one of these two would out perform your carb
[FOR SALE] - PRICE LOWERED----Holley 670 street avenger & Holley 650 DP
Or the 770 in this post...
[FOR SALE] - Holley Avenger Carb and Nascar Fuel Pump
or just a good ole' fashion 750 dp holley.

I actually bought one of the 625 demons when they came out 3 or 4 years ago, it is a nice carb, took care of my heat issues.
They do have one drawback, you have to dissemble the carb to put the mopar throttle linkage on, and the stock linkage will not work, you need to buy the one in their instructions.

-
Back