/6 random thrown rod

-
I think what I would do is send them a registered letter, return receipt, stating all the particulars. Also tell them that since they will not inspect the vehicle, that you will have an independant shop, inspect the engine and if necessary, remove and take it apart. If the shop determines it was due to their mistake, you will contact an attorney.

would it really be worth it if a mechanic found that it was their fault? i mean they probably have a legal department for claims like this and if it goes to court and the judge rules in their favor im just out a bunch of money. sorry to be so pessimistic this whole situation has just got me really depressed. ill try to line some stuff to get it to a shop but the only person i know with a car trailer wont take his stingray out of it unless its for a show.

I'd rather have someone else look at it anyway, and note that cost in the small claims suit. Community college auto course on forensics would love a shot like that, just make sure the teacher is a registered mechanic for legal sake. Might do it for free as a 'teachable moment'
I had an old mechanic friend tell me a slant story.old Lady came in complaining the car was making noises. Turned out she added water to the oil filler cap. There was about 3 gallons of mud in there when they drained it. They ran all the old oil in the shop through the motor with the plug open so as to flush all the mud out, then Gave her 2 oil changes with a long warm up in between to boil out all the moisture and thing ran like a champ once more. This was early 60s

SlantS are cheap, and easy. If it tossed a rod and didn't foul the crank or cylinder. I bet Dr Dodge on slant six.org could send you a piston and rod for peanuts and it would only cost you a head gasket and about 4 hours of time. Pulll pan, pull head, replace bad rod/piston. Assemble. Even if bottom of cylinder is nicked, it may not interfere with sealing rings, jut smooth out.

It was already mentioned, but I will state it again. CHECK THE PART NUMBER OF THE FILTER. Google it, be sure it is the right one. You should be able to see it without removing it. If it is right, have it removed by a certified mechanic who will sign an affidavit about what he finds. Have him remove it, cut it open and take pictures. A bad filter - collapsed internally, stuck anti drain back valve, or something else could have caused your problem.

If you find something document it with pictures and the signed description of what it was - then go after them for a new engine.

FYI, if you don't already know the thrown rod (if it has) or spun / bad rod bearing coming on all of a sudden is most likely caused by no oil pressure. Did your oil pressure warning light function before you took it in to the shop, did it ever come on?

Also, check the wire for the oil pressure light. It is possible that they dislodged it and knocked it off the oil pressure switch, so you (and they!) did not realize there was no oil pressure caused by a bad / incorrect filter.

Rant over, hope the ideas help...

ok thanks guys and no my oil pressure light isnt working because the prevouse owner butchered the wiring to it. and ewhat kind of oil fulter does jiffy lube use? cause i heard them say that they put a fram oil filter on but its like a different brand that my prevous oil filter was.

Fram filters have been known to have major issues - google fram oil filter reviews and see what comes up. Bottom line is they are not great. At any rate, what part number fram is on it? The part number will be painted on the filter, and will be like PH-8A.

Without a working light or gauge you have little to no recourse as they had no way of knowing if there was no oil pressure.....

ok well i called them up and asked them what oil filters they use "mighty brand oil filters" and the one on it definitly isnt mighty brand its a tecs... i cant read the whole label but they definitly didnt change it

If you want some additional info, google jiffy lube- southern California, I remember a TV station had a field day with them on a couple of occasions. hidden cameras, not doing work and charging for it. Did a big story on them, then went back 2 years later, caught them doing the same thing again. They interviewed an employee after the second time, he said they had a big employee meeting, and they were told where to look for the hidden cameras, and how to spot members of the news media. but NOT once did they tell them not to do it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfidE7zpxU"]Jiffy Lube Scamming Again! Caught on Tape - YouTube[/ame]

thats fucked i went and emailed the auto tech head at my community college but idk if theyll do it cause it seems like theyre really picky about their cars. so im trying to talk to my friend that works at a shop if he'll do it but idk if hell be able to. id love to take this to a shop and have it payed to get it inspected so i could get it done sooner rather than later. who should i email the letter to and what paperwork should i get for the mechanic inspecting it?

State of California ha the' bureau of automotive repair' or BAR in short.they license all repair facilities. Does jl fall under that, you bet! Call your bureau and ask about claim filing. And I would retract that 'no ......' post.
These guys can throw somE weight: I had my car diagnosed for failed smog, $99 and they would tell me had to be fixed/replaced to pass smog, made it sound very thorough with computer aided diagnostic. Told me to replace my cat so I did and it still faled with the. Identcal numbers. I called the BAR and got a ref on the line. I told him what happened and where. 2 weeks later the garage was under new ownership...coincidence?

ok so heres a pic of the oil filter it definatly doesnt look like a "mighty brand oil filter"

slr5h0.jpg

That is a good start. Now look all around the filter and find the part number. See if you can take a photo from the other sides too and spot them so we can verify the PN. Then we can see if it right for the engine. (It certainly is not the FRAM that you overheard; so did they say 'mighty brand' with a tone of sarcasm? Yes..... it is a legit brand.) Brand looks to be TecSelect.

Yep, it can be depressing, but you need to try to perk yourself up and do what you can. Machinery will always fail one way or another; we all get used to it; you're just starting young. And you have a lot of folks willing to help. Finding out the failiure wil tell you if it is worht pursuing legally. Knowing that the filter is right or wrong is step 1.

It's the right filter cause I was the one to put it on there and yea they said it's mighty brand from this point if they're lying about changing the oil filter u don't trust that they're telling the truth about the oil viscosity

ok so i reported them to the consumer protection division of the attorny general of washington state and hopefully jiffy lube will settle before i have to take it to small claims court.

Attorney? Really? Lets examine this for what it really is. You had a good running slant six that, lets say you were pulling to do a V8 swap. What's it worth? What could you sell it for? Lots of people give them away. Not trying to be an ***, but suits are all about damage. Yes, there was damage. By the time you spend enough to maybe prove it was their fault, you could have either fixed the engine or gotten another one. That's the sad truth. They got you by the nads pretty much. It's an old car. It's an old engine. They got more money than you and have attorneys on hand to handle stuff like this all the time. Consider it lesson learned and never let anyone else change your oil again. Ever.

Well, you don't need an attorney to go to small claims court. IMO, if the OP is going to small claims then he probably woudl be helped by an expert analysis of the problem. Would be good to have that sooner rather than later to see if it was the lube guys' fault or just a random failure.

OP, are you planning to rebuild this thing?

Attorney? Really? Lets examine this for what it really is. You had a good running slant six that, lets say you were pulling to do a V8 swap. What's it worth? What could you sell it for? Lots of people give them away. Not trying to be an ***, but suits are all about damage. Yes, there was damage. By the time you spend enough to maybe prove it was their fault, you could have either fixed the engine or gotten another one. That's the sad truth. They got you by the nads pretty much. It's an old car. It's an old engine. They got more money than you and have attorneys on hand to handle stuff like this all the time. Consider it lesson learned and never let anyone else change your oil again. Ever.

Exactly. Plus there is negligence on the part of the OP. He brought jiffy lube a car with a known defect, the oil pressure warning light was non functional. They had no way of knowing if there was an oil pressure problem with the car after changing the oil.

And then there is the possibility that the engine was already was on its last legs, had worn out bearings and the previous owner disabled the oil pressure light to hide the problem and then sold the car........

ok so i figure i should post an update to what happened, so i took the engine out with a friend that had done alot of stuff like this before, it was all going good until we got it out and took the oil pan. not only had it spun the bearing so bad that there were chunks of bearings the #6 rod cap came off the the crank hit it so for right now the engines totaled until i get money for a new crank and full rebuild.

-
Back