/6 stalling

-

Jerm

Reaction score
So my slant 6 has a hard time starting g with the air cleaner lid on . But if I take the lid off it starts right up. Anyone know why it's doing that thanks slot in advance

dirty air cleaner element?? 1st thing to check although it would have to be mighty dirty to prevent it from starting. 2nd bad choke or choke adjustment.

No just bought a new air cleaner .. Also it looks like oil is getting in the air clearner maybe idk might be gas where is the choke at thanks and sorry I'm very new to cars

What about the air cleaner itself? Is the snorkel plugged or blocked? If it's piped to the fender is there a block there?

Jerm, pop the top of the air cleaner off and leave the base of it on the carb so you can see the top of the carburetor. Now pull the throttle linkage down with your hand and release it. Did the choke flap in the carb close? If not then take the entire air cleaner assembly off. Now pull the throttle linkage down with your hand again. Did the choke flap close this time? If it did, then you are just getting interference from the air cleaner. Did you buy an aftermarket air cleaner or is this a slant 6 original?

Yeah it's all original it weird like when I take the top off it starts but as I put the top back on the car stalls like I'm smothering a flame .... And it seems the pcp is leaking oil in my air cleaner ... How can I upload a picture to show you guys

If this is one of the early air cleaners, they had very little air flow. I've had swap them out for a later one on many occasions for that same problem. You can try putting a taller filter element in it if you have a long enough stud.

Could it be the air fuel screw needs to be adjusted I know when playing with mine if I go to rich It will suck air from the PCV valve and then stall. I could see adding the air cleaner causing it to get less air and be adjusted wrong. I would try going lean a bit w/o the air cleaner and then put the air cleaner on and see what happens. Just a theory I'm not very good with carbs yet.

Try it with the air filter element removed, and the cleaner housing otherwise assembled. I'm thinking you have oil film choking the air filter element.

Any idea why so much oil up there? You have an "oil burner" of an engine? Is the PCV hooked up and working correctly? You seem to have a lot of blow by?

So my slant 6 has a hard time starting g with the air cleaner lid on . But if I take the lid off it starts right up. Anyone know why it's doing that thanks slot in advance
If you post a photo with year and model, it might help a bit.

-
Back