/6 starting problems

-

tony20110

Reaction score
Well after 4 years of sitting I have gotten my barracuda running. Here's the problem. If I prime the carb with some gas then it starts immediately and runs well. I can give it gas, rev the motor and bring it to an idle and there seems to be nothing wrong. However, it will not start unless the carb gets primed with a little gas first. Pumping the accelerator first does nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks FABO

Bad accelerator pump? After running, shut down and immediately go out and look down the throat and work the throttle, looking for a good squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump. This should start IMMEDIATELY when you move the throttle

Trying this immediately after shutdown will tell you whether you have some sort of leak/ drain down problem, or whether the pump is not working

If it's the pump, could be several things. Most likely bad pump cup, but also could be a check valve gummed up/ stuck.

What year is the car?

What year is the engine / carburetor?

Do you have a factory shop manual?

Thanks for the tips. I'll be working on it today. It's a 66 Barracuda, 225 /6. Two barrel carb and I do have the manual.

You haven't mentioned the choke. That is critical in cold starting. It should be closed firmly when cold. Your vacuum choke pull-off should then pop it open slightly (see manual) the second the engine fires. The pull-off diaphragm is often failed, and is a cheap and easy part to replace.

-
Back