/6 to V8 CLUTCH AND HOUSING

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Just bought a Dart wagon with /6 and stick. Will be installing a 273/318. Have a 70's SB 4 spd. What do I need to make this tranny swap. I don't think a 10 1/2 clutch flywheel and can will fit. Thanks

What year Dart ?

If its a '63 the V-8 won't fit without moving the wiper motor and modifying the firewall.

In any case you will need a V-8 center link to clear the oil pan and you may have to modify the engine mounts on the crossmember .

You will need Disc Brakes in the front . Use the late big bolt pattern spindle , upper control arm and rotor from a '73-76 A body . They were offered with a manual disc/drum master cylinder or power booster but you may not have room for the power booster with the V-8.

You might want to go with a hydraulic clutch to save the mickey motion linkage, it will open up the real estate needed for the exhaust system.

You will need a mini starter also for exhaust clearance.

You will also want at least an 8 1/4" rear axle with 10" brakes from an A body, 3.21 gears for all around driving.

If your a 63-65 you will need a complete driveshaft made.

If your a '66 the driveshaft will be easy.

Of course a floor shifter is the way to go and this will require a hump on the side of the trans tunnel.

And of course you will have to notch the drivers side cross member for the exhaust pipe.

But the simple solution would be an automatic , 904 , 998 or a GM TH 2004R with a new mount.

I saw this sweet wagon a few years ago ...

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 202
I don'y remember what size tires it had but that required a bit of rear wheel opening trimming.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 173
I respectfully disagree with GGs66GT.

In any case you will need a V-8 center link to clear the oil pan and you may have to modify the engine mounts on the crossmember . Yes to V-8 centerlink. Either ger the LA mounts and isolators or the Schumacher /6 to LA conversion kit.

You will need Disc Brakes in the front . Use the late big bolt pattern spindle , upper control arm and rotor from a '73-76 A body . They were offered with a manual disc/drum master cylinder or power booster but you may not have room for the power booster with the V-8.Helpful but not necessary. If you go to BBP in front, something needs to be done to have BBP in rear.

You will need a mini starter also for exhaust clearance. Only if you're going to use headers.

You will also want at least an 8 1/4" rear axle with 10" brakes from an A body, 3.21 gears for all around driving. If the car has a 7¼" rear, yes. Mopar used 7¼ on 273-4/904 cars, but IMHO it won't stand up to a warmed up 318.

If your a 63-65 you will need a complete driveshaft made.See below

If your a '66 the driveshaft will be easy.If the 4-speed in longer than the 3-speed and/or you swap out the rear for a different size ring gear you will need to shorten the driveshaft.

Of course a floor shifter is the way to go and this will require a hump on the side of the trans tunnel.I drove an old Benz with 4-on-the-column a few times. Yes for the hump. You may want to consider a steering column with out a shifter in it.
At the very least remove the shift lever from yours.

And of course you will have to notch the drivers side cross member for the exhaust pipe. Only if you go to dual exhaust. Running the pipe under the cross member without a notch invites disappointment. An alternative would be an early single Formula S system.

2 darts you didn't seem to disagree with me you added to my thoughts :)

Of course we could go into all the small details of this swap but we should leave somethings for the O.P. to find out as the swap goes on.

I was just bringing the highlites up.

I just hope he has the stockA body sm blk 64-66 headers for that 273 or small port 318. It sure would save him a lot of grief.

Its a '65. I've had 3 and all were 2dr automatic race cars. I thought that maybe this one might be a street car, although I said that about all (8) street cars that I built. If it will require allot of parts swapping to do the 4spd., I may just opt for the automatic.

What the OP will need if headers are not used are the A-body LA V-8 exhaust manifolds. The driver's side is especially critical to clear the steering column.

Just bought a Dart wagon with /6 and stick. Will be installing a 273/318. Have a 70's SB 4 spd. What do I need to make this tranny swap. I don't think a 10 1/2 clutch flywheel and can will fit. Thanks

A 10.5" clutch will fit although the small one should be OK for a mild V8-
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=305741

For all the $ & aggravation I would stick with the slant, you could hop it up a bit if needed.

Boost Boy ;bump
65 Dartman;bump
396 Signet ; exactly how mild would that be & we're talking the 9 1/2 clutch rite?
if memory serves the 9 1/4 six clutch from the same era was grenade
even behind those engines if they were warmed over much. Key is if
there are any new & improved available in that size? just curious.

THAT WAGON IS BADASS! Me likey !! "Honey, I think we're out of groceries again!"
:happy1:

-
Back