Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkiedog64

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello all,

I got the car running and have replaced 60% of the brake system so far. I started on the driveshaft tonight. My old ball and trunion seal was almost completely gone, and the caps that hold the u-joint cross to the pinion yoke are gone. Anybody have these or know where I can get them quickly? I've look at the LPS with no luck. These are two of the last pieces of the puzzle before I can try and move it under its own power!

Thanks,

Stephan

Thanks for the link; I had forgotten about Bernbaum. He doesn't list having the parts I need. Does anyone know of any other sources? I'd like a new seal but would definitely buy used cross piece clamp straps from someone here.

Thanks

I'd convert it to the cross and roller setup if it were my car. Any decent driveshaft shop should be able to do the job. That way you can just get u-joints right off the shelf.

I ordered the ball and trunion boot from Bernbaum, but he did not have the caps that bolt the u-joint to the rear pinion yoke. Does anyone have an extra set they would be willing to sell? This is the last piece in the puzzle to having a complete and rotating drivetrain for the car. Does anyone know what other years and models have the same caps?

Thanks,
Stephan

Are you refering to the straps that wrap over the bearing caps and hold it tight to the pinion flange? If so, they are the same on all 7 1/4's, most 8 1/4's, most 9 1/4's and most of the 8 3/4's with 7260/7290 u-joints. About the only ones that are different are the Dana's and some of the C/V joints and Imperial stuff that use u-bolts.

I think that he means the rear uni joint caps. I have a pair in Australia but I could swim over with them quicker than the mail. Surely someone closer can help him!!!!!?

If he needs the bearing caps, just buy a new u-joint. If he needs the straps and bolts to hold it in place, just about any Mopar RWD will work. There are also new aftermarket ones available at the usual sources. If you can't find anything closer, I have a used set I'll sell you.
Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Sorry for not being clear; it is the straps, not caps, that I need. I did not realize the straps are so universal between the mopar rears. I will try and get my hands on a set of later model (late 60s) straps. If not, Mark, I'll hit you up for a pair.

Thanks,
Stephan

Mark, thanks to your cross reference info, I was able to buy a set for a "1972 Dodge Dart" (since their computers didn't show anything for a '60 Valiant) at Orielly's that fit up just fine. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back