600 Eddy tuning

-
Hey old school, I have a cardone reman that I had checked on a distributor machine. The guy seemed to think everything was good with it. I have vacuum hooked to timed port and have also tried leaving it disconnected. I've tried the timing all over the place, have set it with a vacuum gauge at highest vacuum and also used a light to try 5 degree increments starting with 5BTC. Today I left the 7037 rods in and changed primary jets to 101's. Friday, I'm going too try changing the sec's to 98's.
After that I just may have to save some money and take it to a dyno in town and see what they come up with. Before that I may try to find some one with a probe and check it out with a exhaust gas analysis.

Well, this morning I got back at it. Figured I'd warm up the engine and hook up all the test gear. I noticed that when I put the timing light on I got to 36 deg advance but when I kept opening the throttle, the tape swung way to the drivers side and I was looking at over 60 degrees advance. What they hey??

Harv thats hopefully your vacumn advance kicking in. Should be around 50 degrees total not 60 which could very well be your issue. If you are already testing with vacumn advance plugged first you've got a toasted spring. If not plugged need to set timing with vacumn advance plugged first, then set your vacumn advance to specs. Check the info. from these helpful specs. on pages 7 to 10.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/elecignconv.pdf

Oldschoolcuda

Thanks Old school. One of my friends came over today and brought his pertronics ignition set up. We installed it and "Voila" -- the car pulls and pulls and runs like a raped ape.
I tookj the dizzy back to
auto Zone and asked them toorder me a new one. Cardone is out of stock. I told the magr, to get with his people and come up with a solution. I made it clear that I was smoked. All that carb calibration and my time. I found out that Cardone usually only checks their dizzys to 2500RPM. Not a realistic highway range for these old cars. I'll also have a few words for the guy who checked the dizzy for me.
I don't think I'm asking too much to be able to plug and play a dizzy. I can't afford a Pertronics unit and I'll wait a day or so to see what kind of goodwill gesture I can get out of AZ. For sure, I'll let it be known that their failure rate on parts is unacceptable and that NAPA, O'Reilly and Advance are all viable alternatives.
Think I'll look at an Accel unit.

Glad you found your problem.

My first thought was that a stock 600 ede should work perfect on your car right out of the box. I always check the floats before I put them on.
I would go back to the stock calibration, and baseline it from there.

Edelbrock carbs should be set at 5.5lbs. There should not be any more than 6.0 psi at idle. 10lbs is way to much pressure for your carb.

I didnt see it, Are you running a mechanical or electric fuel pump ?

PS: Pertronix are ok, but will crap out in the higher rpm's.
If you want a real ignition kit, get one from Don at FBO.

Actually, my fuel pressure is fine with the mechanical pump. I got the higher reading because I'd disconnected the fuel line and plugged it directly into the gauge. I fully intend to go back to base on the carb and retune. I've had this ine apart so many times, I should be able to do this in my sleep.
Thanks to all for all their help, especially my friend Mike who let me use his Pertronics to diagnose.

Hey buddy i have the same setup, 273, mild cam, stock mannis. 6oo eddy.

What kind of driving are you doing, around town stuff or hard pulls? I might go to a 500 cfm and save all the headaches.......hmm?

I haven't had the opportunity to do much driving with the problem I've had. It's definitely NOT the carb, fuel pressure, etc. It WAS the distributor from Cardone.
I did get to speak to a tech rep today and he was just pretty much speechless when He told me they don't usually have a problem with their distributors and I countered with: "I've had a different but very real problem with 2 distributors in a row from your company."
Wonder how many others have had a problem with Cardone distributors?
Still no word from the AutoZone reps either. I've already ordered a new Proform dist. from a local speed shop. $139.00 + tax. www.secondhandpower.com

Well ive got a stock mopar dist. and an orange box it works great! my 600 eddy carb works well too. Some hesitation at low rpms but im trying to tune that out. Do you think the 600 is too big? some people tell me so..... I think so far its fine. As long as i can get rid of the hesitation.

As I mentioned earlier my 273 has the same set up, D4B, Eddy 600, and electronic ignition.
I promise you the cam spec, and here it comes.
Duration @ .015 270/270, duration @ .050 224/224, lobe lift .313, valve lift .468/.468, lobe separation 110
Had some problems with the throttle linkage, secondary didn’t open as expected.
Now it fixed, but not tested on the road yet, will be done during the weekend

hey rickdick78, thought I would just let you know that when I had my 273 I had been running a 600 and it had always burned pretty rich so I put a 500 on it but I noticed a pretty big difference in performance (the 600 was way better) and it still burned just as rich, So if I were you I'd stick with the 600 and tweak out the little things. But like I mentioned about my 600 burning rich, Im currently running a 318 and it's still burning rich, but mainly at idle. I've tried changing rods and jets but with no change. Does anyone know if I change the squirters like oldschoolcuda mentioned, would it help the richness I get at idle? and if I do change em would it mess with how it runs at cruising? thanks for any help! -Kory

By the sounds of it your primaries is not the problem. Start of with the stock metering on the primaries and stock pump shot (although you might need to go one step rich), and go two steps rich on the secondaries according to the manual. 2500rpm to 3000rpm on wide open throttle you are looking at secondaries coming into play at those revs.

Regards
Billy D...

Just a quick update. Auto Zone gave me back $100 for my time, trouble and expenses. I installed a new ProForm dizzy and am in the process of tuning it because the advance comes in way early off idle. I'm almost there with it and the car drives nicely. Good idle and no hesitation or bog when going WOT.

Thanks for all the help guys. Even though it wasn't the carb, I sure learned a lot!!

-
Back