62 A body big block install

-

Casual

Reaction score
I have a 62 Dodge Lancer I want to install a 64 model 383 what K member do I use or where can I get an after market one and also I have center drop manifolds will they work and what other issues will I have to address

That's a tough swap because an RB engine measures about 29-1/2" from exhaust manifold to exhaust manifold, while the engine bay in a '60-'62 A body is only about 28-1/2" wide down where the fenderwells flare in, near the exhaust manifolds. So you're going to have to do some serious modifications to the fenderwells to clear the RB engine. I think the people who do this swap find it necessary to switch to a coil-over setup so they can modify the fenderwells to that extent.

I know that a couple of guys who work for Wildcat Auto Wrecking in Sandy, Oregon have done this swap, so it is possible.

I think you would have to use Schumacher engine swap mounts. At least on your '62 you have the same K-member, control arms and ball joints that the big Plymouth had that year and afterward. (The '60-'61 Valiant and Lancer had their own oddball K-member, control arms and ball joints.)

A major drawback is that the RB engine is so much heavier than an LA engine that it makes the car really nose-heavy and adversely affects its handling. Since an LA engine is just barely narrow enough to fit in the '60-'62 engine bay, and since you can build, for example, a 408" LA engine that will produce pretty much the same or even more power than an RB block will and is much lighter, most people just don't feel it's worth the hassle or the poor handling to put a big block engine in a '60-'62 A body.

This all makes sense to me but I already have the 383 built so I m thinking I need to find a B body then

All I've been able to find are 4dr A bodies 67 and up but I know where there's 2 64 b bodies

Theres motor mounts you can buy for the swap. Exhaust is the biggest problem.

-
Back