[WANTED] '62 Dodge Lancer Disc Brake Conversion

-

purplgoon

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone has done a disc brake conversion and thus able to steer me in the right direction or better yet, provide a parts list as to what components would be necessary.

Cheers, Ian

Parts list will vary depending on which system you choose to use. But generally two (2) each of spindles, calipers, caliper brackets, dust shields, rotors and brake hoses. Also one (1) each of master cylinder, proportioning valve and several metal brake lines.. This list above applies more accurately to factory conversions but will vary a bit even with those.

Last edited:
it really depends. what's your budget? are you building your car as a driver or is there a specific goal or intended driving purpose-- ie. a burger cruiser is gonna be okay with entry level brakes where as a car set up for road racing will need something a little more robust.

there's many different ways to approach this. you can go with factory upgrades, a full aftermarket kit, or a mix and match of some factory pieces and some aftermarket pieces.

just remember, the whole thing has to work as a system. you can just throw parts around willy-nilly and hope for great results. upgrading brakes generally means upgrading other parts of the suspension and undercarriage as well.

it really depends. what's your budget? are you building your car as a driver or is there a specific goal or intended driving purpose-- ie. a burger cruiser is gonna be okay with entry level brakes where as a car set up for road racing will need something a little more robust.

there's many different ways to approach this. you can go with factory upgrades, a full aftermarket kit, or a mix and match of some factory pieces and some aftermarket pieces.

just remember, the whole thing has to work as a system. you can just throw parts around willy-nilly and hope for great results. upgrading brakes generally means upgrading other parts of the suspension and undercarriage as well.
You're right, I should have been more specific. My aim is to modernize the safety features so I have a fun and more reliable cruiser. The rear end had been upgraded by the previous owner around 2015-2017 to 8.25" with larger wheels, discs, new lines, and suspension. So I'd like to upgrade the front suspension, increase the front wheel size to match the rear and convert to disc brakes in the front. Not looking for any crazy race mod parts - just some reliable economy upgrades to help modernize this classic.

I bought the front/rear suspension out of a low mile 69 Barracuda and swapped it all into my 62 Valiant.
The front suspension had been converted to Scarebird disc, from what I'm told too pricey/not worth it.
Came with a dual master, proportioning valve, shocks, everything.
I had to run new lines and use the 62 rear spring mounts, but everything else bolted right in no problemo.
I bet any a-body front suspension will bolt right in though.

Hey Ian,
I'm not sure if I mentioned it when we talked, but I have a full set of Kelsey Hayes front discs (SBP), as well as a full set of 73+ discs (BBP). I was going to suggest you go the BBP route with the 73+ so your front wheels match the rears and you don't need to carry two spares.

Hey Ian,
I'm not sure if I mentioned it when we talked, but I have a full set of Kelsey Hayes front discs (SBP), as well as a full set of 73+ discs (BBP). I was going to suggest you go the BBP route with the 73+ so your front wheels match the rears and you don't need to carry two spares.
fantastic advice and you've got the parts ready rock as well. that's the jam right there.

Hey Ian,
That's right! Apologies, I got distracted with the new gig-mobile we got for my buddy's band. I'll upload some pics this weekend when I see them again. Was a hearse with hot rod flames that sat outside someone's property in Estacada as a halloween prop. I'll take pics of my current rear setup when I get home and reach out via txt.

That's right! Apologies, I got distracted with the new gig-mobile we got for my buddy's band. I'll upload some pics this weekend when I see them again. Was a hearse with hot rod flames that sat outside someone's property in Estacada as a halloween prop. I'll take pics of my current rear setup when I get home and reach out via txt.
Excellent! I want to see pics of that bad motor wagon.

Excellent! I want to see pics of that bad motor wagon.
She's old and crusty but the weekend will be dedicated to some spit & polish

hot rod hearse.jpg

Here's some photos of the current rear setup. I thought they were upgraded to discs but looks like rear drums? Again, I'm very green so I don't know much of the correct nomenclature yet. In order are pictures of the following: Rear diff, drivers side rear, drivers side rear, passenger side rear, and the shocks.

rear diff.jpg

rear driver wheel up close.jpg

rear driver wheel.jpg

rear passenger wheel.jpg

rear shocl.jpg

Here's photos of the front setup + tire sizes.
In order: Front wheel size, front passenger side wheel underside, front passenger side wheel underside pt2, rear wheel size.

front driver wheel size.jpg

front passenger wheel underside pt2.jpg

front passenger wheel underside.jpg

rear driver wheel size.jpg

That's an 8-1/4 rear end, a good thing with the large bolt pattern and yes, those are drums. I believe those should be 10" drums but that should be confirmed by measuring.

It looks like the front end is all original, which would mean small bolt pattern and 9" drums.
She's old and crusty but the weekend will be dedicated to some spit & polish

View attachment 1716237940
That is way cool, I'm jealous!

-
Back