62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
Here you go
imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_2-2.jpg

imagejpeg_2-1.jpg

I've been making alittle progress on the turbo header and I have to tell you guys its a pain in the *** but I'm enjoying every minute that I'm working on it I have about 12 hours into it now and have the first three legs tacked together and it looks great.
I picked up a tig Welder acouple of weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to us it just yet I just got my comsumables and I need to pick up a tank of gas I'm hoping to take care of that next week
I'll try and post some pics of the turbo header tomorrow the camera on my phone is broke so I ll have to bring out the digital camera and take some shots and show u guys what I've been doing
Aaron

Aaron. that looks fantastic!!! You do such nice work... That's exactly what I had in mind when I suggested a short-runner exhaust, and you have come a long way toward bringing it to fruition. I'm really excited about your whole "Toad" build, but this part in particular. If you can pare the weight down somewhere near Guzzi Mark's car you just may have the first A-Body /6 car in the nines!!! Go for it.... :)

I took our rocker arms to the heat treatment facility last week and am picking them up (newly annealed) in the morning (Monday 12/19.)

Then we can slice them .100" and re-weld them for a 1.6:1 ratio.

At least, that's the plan... gonna make a holding fixture (jig) to solidly locate the arm for cutting with a 4" circular metal-cutting saw blade that is .100"-thick, mounted in a vertical mill, and once they're cut, tig-weld them back together in another fixture to hold them solid for the welding process. Then, it's back to the heat treatment facility for a return to their original harness ( 65 on the Rockwell scale; "case" hardening, only.)

If you have any suggestions or better ideas, I'm all ears!!!

The cut will be here:

Attachments

• js640_100_3544.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 958
Bill I have a set ready to be cut apart I need to make a couple fixtures also I've been busy with the manifold but as soon as I can finish tacking it together I start working on my rocker arms
Aaron

Bill I have a set ready to be cut apart I need to make a couple fixtures also I've been busy with the manifold but as soon as I can finish tacking it together I start working on my rocker arms
Aaron

And, continuing thanks to Tom Wolfe, Ryan Peterson and Charlie Schmid for showing un "the way," by example...

None of this would have happened without their pioneering spirit...

You guys are the best!!!

Aaron

Some info that might be of interest to you in your work with the rocker arms, Aaron:

The rockers are "case hardened" by the factory and have a Rockwell hardness of 65 on the "C" scale, but once you're through the hardened part (.010"???) the parent metal only tests a 16 on the same Rockwall scale, so the bulk of the rocker arms is actually pretty soft.

I don't know if that's anything you didn't know, already, but it was helpful to me.

Good luck with that project; keep us informed!:D

Here's a shot of the intake mocked up along with the rear exhaust flange in place...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I LIKE that design. Aaron!!! You got it right... :hello1:

Keep up the good work.

Good news I final had a chance to pull the motor and trans today so I could see what the vibration I had the last time I had the motor running and after I broke the trans loose I new right away may problem was the ARP fly wheel bolts had come loose:eek:ops: I can't remember what I torqued them down at but I'm a very happy man right now:cheers:
So I'm going to do some chassis work and ill get this thing back together with the auto trans and the new turbo/header so stay tuned the TOAD is getting back on track!!

Good news I final had a chance to pull the motor and trans today so I could see what the vibration I had the last time I had the motor running and after I broke the trans loose I new right away may problem was the ARP fly wheel bolts had come loose:eek:ops: I can't remember what I torqued them down at but I'm a very happy man right now:cheers:
So I'm going to do some chassis work and ill get this thing back together with the auto trans and the new turbo/header so stay tuned the TOAD is getting back on track!!

Congratulations on finding your problem!!!

Sounds like you're making great progress!

You go, guy!!!! :)

Just want everybody too no the turbo project is still going strong I still have a ton of things too do but I'm almost done with the Turbo header I just need to take it to my machinist and have him deck the flanges so I no there will be a nice tight fit against the head
IMG_20120314_145219.jpg

Also I'm hoping too get some work done this weekend the motor and auto transmission are ready too be reinstalled so the TOAD is getting close
Aaron

Just want everybody too no the turbo project is still going strong I still have a ton of things too do but I'm almost done with the Turbo header I just need to take it to my machinist and have him deck the flanges so I no there will be a nice tight fit against the head
IMG_20120314_145219.jpg

Also I'm hoping too get some work done this weekend the motor and auto transmission are ready too be reinstalled so the TOAD is getting close
Aaron

Man, that is your TYPICALLY NICE WORK, Aaron!!! I want it!!! LOL!

You have built the most efficient-looking turbo header for a slant 6 that I have ever seen, that's for sure!

Thanks for sharing it with us, I can't wait until you fire that baby up; it's gonna FLY!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Keep us posted, please.

Our car is being treated to the fuel system plumbing this week, with wiring to come next week. Then, it's off to the front-end shop (see pic LOL!) to get the geometry straightened out. Hook up a few gauges, paint the hood, apply the decals, and we can think about taking it for some shake-down trips down the strip.

I LOVE THAT HEADER!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3609.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 772
Is it just picture, but it looks tight with starter?

MJF you have a very good eye after I put the motor and trans together #6 leg was sitting right on the starter so I had to rework that leg and I think it looks alot better.
IMG_20120321_073108.jpg

IMG_20120321_073127.jpg

Installed some US CAR TOOL EARLY A FRAME RAILS there all tacked in and awaiting the final welding
Enjoy
Aaron
IMG_20120328_132735.jpg

IMG_20120328_132757.jpg

"Installed some US CAR TOOL EARLY A FRAME RAILS there all tacked in and awaiting the final welding
Enjoy
Aaron"

I'm enjoying watching this little rocket coming together!!! You bet!!!:happy1:

"Ok I got the main hoop and rear bars installed and tacked together."

Looks SOLID, Aaron!

We didn't want the added weight, but the stiffness will probably help it hook.

Looks great! Keep on keepin' on!!!!:hello1:

This thread is amazing. Keep up the great work Aaron!!!

Thanks PHF I'm trying to document my build so if anybody is attempting to build like mine
Maybe it will save them time and money and headaches I've made mistakes and I don't have any problems with posting them
I truely hope this thread helps guys and gals out
Aaron

Thanks PHF I'm trying to document my build so if anybody is attempting to build like mine
Maybe it will save them time and money and headaches I've made mistakes and I don't have any problems with posting them
I truely hope this thread helps guys and gals out
Aaron

You've got me interested in doing something like your turbo toad, but with a lot less focus on power and more focus on economy. Probably in a duster or a dart too. My sister has been asking me to let her drive my barracuda when its done, and seeing as how that will NEVER happen, I think I can afford to build a turbo /6 a-body for her. But I'm leaning more towards what Backtobasics is his build...like what you were doing in the beginning of yours lol.

Keep up the great work, and keep posting those pics. You're slaying dragons in my world!!!

-
Back