62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
Aaron, Thank you for sharing the link to this! Very impressive! That header is a work of art. I see I have a LOT to learn before I start assembling parts.

Mike

Well ladies and gentlemen the 2014 race season is fastly approaching here in Michigan its still upper 40's and most of the snow is just about melted. For the last week I've been trying to get motivated to work on the TOAD and I think today is going to be that day I ddon't have a bunch of work to do just some fine tuning and some button up work.

Aaron... Just curious, as I have no experience with turbos, but what do you think of this one I've got? Adequate for a slanty?

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 655
Mark I can't tell by looking at the turbo do you no the spec, exhaust housing AR, compressor housing AR,also what are you running for a manifold?

Mark I can't tell by looking at the turbo do you no the spec, exhaust housing AR, compressor housing AR,also what are you running for a manifold?

Lol, I don't know any of that! Manifold? I don't even have the engine yet! Just this turbo...

I think I jumped the gun a little soon on this. Btw, that car of yours is impressive! Nice build, I love to see the power that can be made with a six cylinder engine. I'd love to see it run at the track in person.

Well I got the TOAD running and just about back together it still needs a tune but with the weather as damp as it was yesterday I wasn't to worried about it I did let it build some temp and I let it run for about 15 minutes.
Here's a couple pics of the 2014 version of the Turbo Toad

Well I got the TOAD running and just about back together it still needs a tune but with the weather as damp as it was yesterday I wasn't to worried about it I did let it build some temp and I let it run for about 15 minutes.
Here's a couple pics of the 2014 version of the Turbo Toad

GREAT, AARON!!! Our car may make it to the strip too, as soon as weather permits... pretty soon, I'd say!

Ten pounds of boost to start... THEN, LOOKOUT! lol!:blob:

Bill

Bill its good to hear you and Freddie are ready go racing. Word of advice take it slow and see how the car responds and adjust accordingly. I've gotta start dailing the chassis in im thinking I need to go with a taller front tire my car feels nose heavy and I believe isn't not transferring the weight like it should. On eight pounds of boost coming out of the hole if I could get the rear end to load up plant then I can bring the true potential out of this car as of last year I was just spinning the rear tires for the first 30 feet.
Let's hope Bill we can both keep our cars together and final enjoy the fruits of our labor Mr Dedman its been a long journey for the both of us one I personally wouldn't have done anything different..:burnout:

Give me call next weekend Bill if you have some spare time I'm off

Aaron

Dennis im hoping for 425-450 rear wheel horse at around 22 psi of boost in a 2600 pound car with the trans break should net me 11 flat or better in the 1/4.

Yah I just took it out for the first time in 2014 I didn't try any pulls just trying to get some of the kinks worked out again .
Dennis you won't even believe the torque this slant puts out I only took this project on too see what it can do and im a believer now..

From what I have read, it seems like you really did your research. Cool project, I want to do something with a Lancer.

Dennis

I put some tuning time into the toad and took the car out for alittle more aggressive run and I made three pulls slowly getting into the boost and on the last pass I ran it thru the gears at 12 psi and everything looked fantastic.. This is going to be exciting year

Aaron

Loaded up and already to go mega mopar us 131 in the morning, I should be able to get some video posted if I can get the car down the track
Wish me some luck

Aaron :burnout:

Loaded up and already to go mega mopar us 131 in the morning, I should be able to get some video posted if I can get the car down the track
Wish me some luck

Aaron :burnout:

That looks fantastic! Be sure and let us know ALL the info about what you do tomorrow; 60-foot times and stall speeds included! WEIGH it if they have scales!

On the home front. I drove the Valiant from Freddie's garage to my place, today and it's safely tucked into my driveway (if not garage) where I will have access to it 24/7 from now on.

I am SO excited abouit you taking the Toad to the strip, tomorrow!!!

Best of luck! My estimate at 12 pounds of boost is 12.8 @ 108 mph... 1.66 60-ft...

I hope you make me look like an idiot.. :)

I ended up making three more passes 13.5,13.6, and I missshfted 14.3.I lost in the first round of the eliminator I turned the boost up too 15 psi and dailed in at 13.2 but for whatever reason idk the setting on the controller didn't change off of 12psi and I ended up running the 13.55. All in all it was a good day im headed in the right direction the car diffently likes more stall speed and im going to have to figure out what's up with the boost controller..

I ended up making three more passes 13.5,13.6, and I missshfted 14.3.I lost in the first round of the eliminator I turned the boost up too 15 psi and dailed in at 13.2 but for whatever reason idk the setting on the controller didn't change off of 12psi and I ended up running the 13.55. All in all it was a good day im headed in the right direction the car diffently likes more stall speed and im going to have to figure out what's up with the boost controller..

Wow; 13.5 @ virtually 100 mph! That is FANTASTIC for a first time out!!!

My guess was "My estimate at 12 pounds of boost is 12.8 @ 108 mph... 1.66 60-ft...

I hope you make me look like an idiot.."

Well, you did, but I was less than a second and 8-mph off, so I don't feel like a COMPLETE idiot...

Thanks a LOT for posting those times right away; I was EATEN UP with curiosity all day!!!

You have about a full second on a stock 340 car... That is amazing for a first time out....

YOU DUN GUD!!!:cheers:

Proud of you! Hope mine is anywhere near as good!!!!:prayer:

Keep us posted on new developments!

No video guys my camera man didn't show up till my last pass and he was at the food stand.... I was happy with the car and the tune was good I was alittle disappointed with my overall ET honestly I was hoping to touch the 12 second mark.
I did finally get a over all total race weight with me in the car and the fuel cell topped off

The car is heavier than I expected I figured it would tip the scale at around 2800 with me in it.
I'm already planning my next trip to the track possibly next weekend and ill be working on turning up the boost and will see what happens
Aaron

No video guys my camera man didn't show up till my last pass and he was at the food stand.... I was happy with the car and the tune was good I was alittle disappointed with my overall ET honestly I was hoping to touch the 12 second mark.
I did finally get a over all total race weight with me in the car and the fuel cell topped off

The car is heavier than I expected I figured it would tip the scale at around 2800 with me in it.
I'm already planning my next trip to the track possibly next weekend and ill be working on turning up the boost and will see what happens
Aaron

So, how much DID it weigh???? Inquiring minds want to know...

I think your 13-second time-slip is a direct result of your 1.98-second 60-foot e.t. I believe that if you can get that number down into the 1.50-1.60 range, you'll see your quarter-mile e.t. drop down to a level more in keeping with where you want it to be. Maybe more stall speed is called for... I dunno.

My car had this experience: With the 750dp carb, it would leave the line very slowly at either 2,000 or 2,500 rpm stall, but at a 3,000 rpm stall, it left like a rocket, spinning both slicks for 50 feet at least. Now that I have changed to the 650m 4bbl, it stalls up to only 2,500 rpm and won't go any higher... just runs out of power... and leaves the line like a sloth... I am mystified by this... I was alone the last time I tried it and wasn't watching the A/F ratio meter, so it could have been going lean while stalling..... acts like it needs more fuel... We'll see.

You are definitely on the right track! 13.50s the first time out is awesome, I think!!!

Keep on keepin' on!!!

And, once more, HOW MUCH DID IT WEIGH????:violent1:

Bill I guess a picture isn't worth a 1000 words but the car weighted in at a bloated weight with me in it and a full fuel cell 3025. That's considerably heavier then what I thought.
Honestly I can't make any chassis adjustments without any video because I don'thhonestly no what's happening at the starting line.

-
Back