63-66 convertible header seal retainer.

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
Since I'm making parts for my own convertible I decided to try some new stuff for the other 66 dart (well it needed all the parts I make anyways so what is one more? here is my progress on a convertible header seal retainer I'm all the way down to either a pass on the mold or a major expensive fail.(hopefully a pass since it's getting expensive with the fails)
now the waiting game starts :)
20211010_160730.jpg
20211010_113406.jpg
convertible top seal holder progress.jpg
20211009_193335.jpg
20211009_193303.jpg
20211006_180330.jpg
20210927_153429.jpg
20210926_173910.jpg
20210920_141006.jpg

Love the ingenuity! I may need a set of all the parts you make for my 65 Valiant Vert.

I'd be interested in the 66 Dart Conv. parts as I've got 2 of them. Please keep me posted.

I'm still interested in 66 Dart parts. Please keep me posted. Thanks.

I'm still interested in 66 Dart parts. Please keep me posted. Thanks.
got the inner trim pieces for the rear side panel done and working on the outer rear side panel trim pieces. also the lower carpet that goes on the side panel. arm rests without the ashtray are prototyped but still not good enough to make as a sellable part yet. glove boxed are still "not good " enough also new design for the header seal is 1/2 way done.

20230312_205032.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014 - Copy.jpg

015 - Copy.jpg

020.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping up with me. I still just love those 66 Darts. I picked up a nice shell for some body parts I need for the one. The other is a very nice as she is. But whatever you make I'm sure I'll order 2 of each. lol

Thanks for keeping up with me. I still just love those 66 Darts. I picked up a nice shell for some body parts I need for the one. The other is a very nice as she is. But whatever you make I'm sure I'll order 2 of each. lol
your welcome. these parts fit the 63 to 66 Dart and 63-66 Valiant convertibles. I'm also finishing up the wing vent divider cushion for my convertibles and going to do the hard top ones too.

Are you 3D printing your designs?
nope. it's all hand designed and the molds are made on the CNC. I'm trying to make a "close" to original part as I can. 3d (unless it's high end 3d resin or metal deposition just isn't good enough to be reliable)just doesn't work for me. now I can send it to shapeways, but then each part would cost me 10-15 times more than what I currently make them for.

nope. it's all hand designed and the molds are made on the CNC
Do you have access to an injection molder?

The reason I ask is I have been making a bunch of reverse engineered parts for our cars. And I can 3D print the prototypes with my LCD photopolymer printer, but injection molding is cost prohibitive for the parts I'm making.

Some work as a 3d printed parts but many need better materials.

Last edited:
Do you have access to an infection molder?

The reason I ask is I have been making a bunch of reverse engineered parts for our cars. And I can 3D print the prototypes with my LCD photopolymer printer, but injection molding is cost prohibitive for the parts I'm making.

Some work as a 3d printed parts but many need better materials.
I have a small tiny homemade one and I am in the process of working with a company that has a larger one but so far it's still too high in costs for me to reproduce part with them. I'm mainly working on rubber and platic Convertible parts since at this time I have 2 convertibles left in the stable.

Can you make your own steel molds?

I am working on making an overmold for a connector.

If it works out I will be able to use a high temp hot melt for the overmold.

I 3D print the mold and inject the hot melt into the mold.

Left is OEM.
PXL_20230310_202746925~2.jpg

I get mine made by a company in texas,it's what they do. I send them the schematics and color coding plus the male,female configuration and they make my LED (2 to 4) conversion harness for my 66's. It was cheaper than getting a steel mold made and about 100 less than an aluminum one

Mine right now is just an 8" long pig tail.

I'm trying out a new material and if it works out I'll be able to repair harnesses. I can get the terminals and make the molds

Mine right now is just an 8" long pig tail.

I'm trying out a new material and if it works out I'll be able to repair harnesses. I can get the terminals and make the molds
Have you looked into the diy setup. It's what I have and works well

I saw a video recently where a guy took 2 table top drill presses and made a injection machine from them.

Would you have a extra top boot retainer?
no extra boot retainers, I cheated and took an RV awning retainer and had a larger cord put into my boot by my Boss, (I'm learning how to put on convertible tops for a lot of different cars. and do custom interiors also)

Hello again, it has been a while. Whenever you have those armrests and glove boxes ready, I am still interested.
I bought a set of the trim pieces a year or so ago, they are great.
In dire need of that glovebox, don't want to waste money on a paper one. Just not worth it.
Keep up the great work.

Hello again, it has been a while. Whenever you have those armrests and glove boxes ready, I am still interested.
I bought a set of the trim pieces a year or so ago, they are great.
In dire need of that glovebox, don't want to waste money on a paper one. Just not worth it.
Keep up the great work.
still working on the glove box and trying to make one nice, getting close but that's about it. same with the side panels outer trim close but no cigar yet. been distracted by traveling for work.

Are you planning on selling the head seal retainer? I'm looking to replace the top on my 65 Dart, and I'm afraid to take the old one off it is so rusted.

-
Back