63 dart engine and transmission removal questions

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the engine and transmission on my 63 dart to clean and paint the engine bay as well as reseal, clean and paint the engine and transmission and have a couple questions.

I have removed many engines and a few complete engine and transmission assemblies but never a slant.

My car has the 170 slant 6. Question I have is where is the best points to chain to and is it best to lift the engine it alone then remove the transmission or is it just as easy to remove both together.

Any pointers on this would be appreciated. I know I can figure it out but figured why not ask for advice from those that have done it before.

Thanks in advance

I am getting ready to pull the engine and transmission on my 63 dart to clean and paint the engine bay as well as reseal, clean and paint the engine and transmission and have a couple questions.

I have removed many engines and a few complete engine and transmission assemblies but never a slant.

My car has the 170 slant 6. Question I have is where is the best points to chain to and is it best to lift the engine it alone then remove the transmission or is it just as easy to remove both together.

Any pointers on this would be appreciated. I know I can figure it out but figured why not ask for advice from those that have done it before.

Thanks in advance
I pull the engine and trans together. Probably have to do the rear chain on one of the bell housing bolts. It's best to have hood, radiator and fan removed. Maybe drain
transmission if auto. It may leak even with flange mount. You have to get a pretty steep angle when pulling both and an adjustable puller is pretty much a necessity.
If you don't have one, probably engine by itself.

the rear threaded boss on the head is a balance point for the motor and transmission (front is only motor). If you can bolt a tab to that and hoist from the rear boss, youll be able to pull both out at once in a balancing act that is hard to believe. Thats what the bosses are for and why thy are placed there.
hoist.jpg

the rear threaded boss on the head is a balance point for the motor and transmission (front is only motor). If you can bolt a tab to that and hoist from the rear boss, youll be able to pull both out at once in a balancing act that is hard to believe. Thats what the bosses are for and why thy are placed there.
View attachment 1715413964

So I decided to look and see if I had those tabs and what do you know, I do. So obviously one thing led to another and I have a motor and transmission on the floor. I actually used both as I wanted to lift the front of the motor to tip it up to clear the transmission tunnel. It was quite the task to maneuver the engine out of it's hole. Took the shift cables off the shifter assembly inside the car and kept the Speedo cable attached. Actually made it easier than digging through the crap to figure it how to disconnect everything. Also this keeps all the adjustments where they originally were.

Thanks for the removal tips. Would've been easier with two people but it's doable alone if need be. Just need to be more careful.

Now onto cleaning and painting, new seals and gaskets in the engine and transmission then start reassembly. Don't plan to reinstall as a unit as if more than likely scratch something so I plan to lift the transmission from underneath then support it and drop the engine in from above and reconnect.

20191027_161246.jpg

20191027_161257.jpg

20191027_161309.jpg

Its alot easier to lower it in as a complete unit. Just wrap the tail in a shipping blanket or something so if it does hit, it wont chip paint or whatever you got going on under there. Your more likely to scratch the paint tightening the trans bolts with 2 ratchet extensions and a U-joint. Give it a try. Its a 2 man job if you dont have a load leveler bolted across those 2 tabs. Raise the front a few inches to assist with tail shaft clearance and maybe use a skateboard on the tail so once you get the tail on the board, it will roll back as you get the engine lowered and back to the mounts.

Good point. Didn't think of that part. I have an engine leveler so I'll just have to enlist the help of a buddy of mine to assist in the reinstall once cleanup and paint is completed. Fortunately I'm not in a rush as I have all winter to get this completed and ready to drive in the spring.

-
Back