63 Dart Radio issue

-

petty437

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was having issues with my radio cutting out a few minutes after I would turn it on. I could turn it off & back on right away & the same would happen again. So, I had my Dart radio gone through by a friend who does this as favors for friends (He has also done it for a living for over 40 years), cleaned & repaired (found a few small issues) etc. I got it back & reinstalled. If sitting in my garage or driveway, car running or with the ign in acc position, the radio will play all day long. No issues. As soon as I begin to drive around it palys for a few minutes then squeals for a split second then cuts out. Turn it off then back on & repeats the same. Any ideas? Thanks!

The audio amplifier can become unstable and oscillate if voltage dips under 8, or 9V or so. A brief interruption in voltage to the amplifier can also make it take off and sing.
May be driving around is aggravating a loose connection in the feed or ground?
Since the radio has been serviced I'm certain all capacitors are fresh, but a hairline crack in the printed circuit board could also be a cause. See if you can rap the radio chassis with a screwdriver handle and make it act up. Sorry I can't be of more help. Keep us updated on your findings.

If my radio was nearly 60 yrs old, I would be happy if the on/off sw still worked....

Intermittent problems are always the worst. Could be something "as simple" (but hard to find) as a crack in a PC board trace, or a bad solder connection. Some problems come and go with heat, cold vibration, or a combination.

As mentioned above, make CERTAIN it is getting proper voltage. Make certain it is grounded properly, and that proper voltage is ACTUALLY getting to the radio side of the 2 wire connector. One wire is red (usually) and is power. The other is orange and is the dial lighting.

Do you have a mechanical voltage regulator or a solid state ? the mechanical regulators have a tendency to spike the voltage at a certain RPMs, It used to set off my radar detector at 36 MPH, back in the day, and it may mess with the radio.

Also it could be bad capacitors, in the radio.

Also make sure you have a good, tight, and grounded antenna with a good cable and connector.

-
Back