63 valiant, brake fluid gone missing...

-

Scypheroth

Reaction score
well i stored my valiant over the winter made shur all fluids were topped up and good to go. Went to start it yesterday, pushed the brake pedal and thump right to the floor, abosolutly no resistance. MC was compleatly empty, topped it up and nothing still no pressure after pumping for 2 mins and MC is still full. Pushed it in my shop and i cant find no leaks anywhere...

Is there dye to add to brake fluid that can be seen with UV light or anything liek that? Dam car is usless qithout brakes.

NOTE-Car brake fluid was full when parked for winter, never touched it once till now and fluid is empty.

Open a bleeder and see if you can get any fluid at the wheels. The dry master cylinder might have gone to crap or the leak was at the rear of the master cylinder to start with.

It HAD to go somewhere. If the wheel cylinders leaked, should be tracks on the tires

You have a booster? Leaked out the rear, into the booster. Otherwise, "under" your carpet!!!

Be sure and look on top of your rear end housing where a small distribution brass block is that sends fluid to each rear wheel, I have seen them leak there

yep, if it isn't in the drums its either in the booster or under the carpet.
agree, and it also could be over the rear end housing where the single brake line splits to two lines, just look :happy8: it and see :coffee2:

Power brakes? Pull the master off the booster and look for fluid in the booster. Otherwise, look on the inside of the firewall and see if it's leaking back into the car. I personally would suspect wheel cylinders, but I assume when you said no leaks that you checked there?

as my collage teacher said often, it had to go somewhere, someone didn't just come steal your brake fluid in the night

its likely a blown brake line, wheel cylinder or bad master cylinder, might be hard to see but if its emptying the master cylinder it shouldn't be hard at all

it has manual brakes.....pls god dont b a MC....

if its loosing fluid good chances are its not a master cylinder unless your carpet is wet... is it?

its an old car, time to go through and check the brakes, likely a line or a wheel cylinder

i would check all your rubber hoses. to the front wheel cylinders and then to the rear prop. block on top of the rear.

-
Back