'63 Valiant - Hot Rod Transformation

-

Hot Rod 63 Valiant

Hot Rodder
Reaction score
Well, you all have seen my various threads asking questions about engine & drive-train combos for this build, so I saw it would be fit to start the actual build thread for this car.

As explained in more detail in my intro thread, my wife & I decided to build a hot rod that you don't see out there on the road everyday. Just about everyone you see out there (Mostly our youth driving the new ones) are driving new & old Camaros, Mustangs, TransAms, Firebirds, etc, occasionally you'll see an old Mopar out there, but not often in my area. We found this little Valiant & decided that it would be perfect for the transformation.

After doing some homework, mostly here at FABO, (Thanks guys!) I've pretty much got the base plan together as far as what engine/transmission combo to go with which will be a BUILT 360 roller motor & a BUILT to the HILT 904 that will allow us to retain the original pushbutton shifter on the dash. (Gotta have some nostalgia here, lol)

Right now we are just accumulating parts & getting them ready before we actually start tearing into the car since it runs good as it sits.

I will list plans & what we do to it as we go, along with posting plenty of pics of course. This will probably end up being about a 3 year project by the time we are finished.

Here are some beginning pics to show the "Before" part of the build. Some are phone pics so please excuse them if they are a bit fuzzy.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_04531.jpg

dashphoto2.jpg

dashphoto1.jpg

I love your little Valiant and it looks like it will be an easy tranformation,with just all "bolt on" improvements/upgrades.My 66 Dart was a 6 cyl,13 inch tire car with 7 1/4 when I first got it 3 yrs ago.Looking forward to your build.:D

Thanks PettyBluDart!

My first plan of action is to take care of the poor dash / charging system wiring circuit that goes through the Ammeter. I will put in a central power buss for the gauges, lights, etc. then install a volt meter instead of an Ammeter

You scored a sweet little car,there.Enjoy chatting with you on the forums,can tell this isn't your first rodeo on the subjects.Good luck.

Thanks Bomber, I really appreciate your input on the threads I've put out there.

Now, gonna take an interesting turn on this project. Now, before I explain the interesting left turn I'm going to take on this, I am still going to build the 360 roller motor & build the crap out of a 904 that I'm getting from Waggs. (Thanks again Waggs)

Here's the story; a good friend of mine (who builds hot rods, rat rods, & does restorations for a living) gave me a BUILT AMC 292 Engine that has been bored, stroked, balanced & blueprinted. It made around 325 HP when he put it on a Dyno. He also gave me the matching transmission/torque converter combo that was tuned to the motor. The engine/transmission came out of I believe he said was a '69 AMX that someone had made a mild bracket car out of. He never did put the motor & transmission back in due to time constraints & loss of interest on the project. Someone wanted the body, so he sold it but still had the engine & transmission. He said it would make a great engine/transmission combo for my light little Valiant & said I could have it if I wanted it. So of course I said "Sure I'll take it"

He also has a narrowed 8-3/4" rear end that I'm doing some bartering with him for.

We will make custom motor & transmission mounts that will just bolt in so later, I could easily pull it back out & put the 360/904 combo in that I had originally planned on after I get them built. The little AMC motor will work well for now so we can still hot rod it around while I build the 360 & 904. :burnout:

Now, before you guys start calling me a Rat Rodder, at least I'm not dropping a small block Chevy in it. AMC is still a close relative to Mopar :wink:

What do you guys think?

First let me clarify something; all 63 Valiants are hot rods. It came standard from the factory, it's a one-year-only thing.

You'll probably get a sh1t storm, but I see nothing wrong with crossbred hot rods. Plus that AMC V8 has the distributor up front and will save you a little firewall surgery. Of course your pushbutton 904 won't bolt to the back of the AMC block, but if you have someone that can do some machining you could build an adapter or make the necessary changes to the AMC case. FWIW, I had a 65 Cuda that had a floor shifted 904 that used the duel cables and I made it work.

In any case, it'll be yours and unique when you're done.

First let me clarify something; all 63 Valiants are hot rods. It came standard from the factory, it's a one-year-only thing.

You'll probably get a sh1t storm, but I see nothing wrong with crossbred hot rods. Plus that AMC V8 has the distributor up front and will save you a little firewall surgery. Of course your pushbutton 904 won't bolt to the back of the AMC block, but if you have someone that can do some machining you could build an adapter or make the necessary changes to the AMC case. FWIW, I had a 65 Cuda that had a floor shifted 904 that used the duel cables and I made it work.

In any case, it'll be yours and unique when you're done.

Thanks FZMAX, that was one of the things I thought about as well, don't have to modify the firewall to drop it in. I think it will be neat, plus I'm not going to be welding new mounts on the frame or anything like that, going to go all bolt on custom mounts, etc.

That is a clean car, looks like a great project! I say drop in the AMC engine, it will a$$ with that in there. The only thing is what are you gonna use for exhaust manifolds or headers? May be an issue, very tight on the early a-body cars, probably gonna have to make your own headers. Good luck and let's see plenty of pics!

Well, I've made a little progress on the car itself. Got the steering column dropped & pulled the gauge bezel out, & sure enough the gauge bezel voltage regular was bad, which is I'm sure why the stock gauges weren't working. I'm building a little solid state regulator to put back in so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I am also about to start rewiring the dash circuits to modern standards to allow for aftermarket add-ons like a few spare Autometer gauges, a stereo, etc.

The problem I run i'm running into is getting in there behind the dash to do it all. I'm thinking about removing the whole dash assembly so I can easily get to all the wiring & throw a fresh coat of paint on it while it's out. Has anyone removed the entire dash assembly on an early A-Body? How difficult will it be? I am persitant so I don't mind a challenge, but would love to hear any tips or tricks someone may have.

I'll get some more pics posted up when I get home from work.

Dash comes out real easy, but you need to remove the windshield to get to the bolts under the seal.

There is a company that makes a solid state regulator for both the dash and the charging system, but I don't have a link ATM. Good on you if you can build them yourself.

Did you decide on an engine yet?

Dash comes out real easy, but you need to remove the windshield to get to the bolts under the seal.

There is a company that makes a solid state regulator for both the dash and the charging system, but I don't have a link ATM. Good on you if you can build them yourself.

Did you decide on an engine yet?

For now, I'm gonna go with the 325 HP AMC 292 with matching transmission that a close friend gave me, I will do it all as bolt in, no welding to the frame to make it work. Eventually I plan to build a Mopar 360 roller motor for it.

Is there any way around pulling the windshield?

Small update, new windshield gasket & chrome retaining strip came in from Classic Industries for when I put the windshield back in.

Right now I am debating on going ahead & putting in a complete aftermarket wiring harness along with new fuse/relay box while I have the dashboard out. I probably will since I had to pull the windshield to pull the dashboard.

I've been really busy with work, etc. so I haven't done a whole lot yet. I will take some pics this weekend as I tear into it further.

My wife & I are thinking about going Metallic Gray for the Interior & a Pearlescent Turquoise for the exterior, may do a two tone with this. What do you guys think?

Another thing that is kinda funny. If I read the fender tag right, it shows to be a V-100, but the rest of the car shows that it is a V-200. I'll run the numbers on the engine that is in it this weekend to find out if it is a 170 or 225.

Here's the fender tag:

Attachments

• image-4112620403.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 515
Small update, got some more parts in. As I believe I mentioned before, I am mainly just gathering parts before I start the the disassembly & modifications for a V-8, etc. that way I can make it a fairly quick process when I get started on it.

Thanks to Mr. DionR (another FABO member) I now have the firewall/wiper motor bracket to put a V-8 in. Great guy I must add.

I also just acquired a 8.8 rear-end out of an '86 Mustang for $100.00 that I will be building up with a Detroit locker, 3:73 gears, & hardened axle shafts with 5 on 4.5" lug pattern. Going to go ahead & get a rear disk brake kit for it as well.

that car is sweet...us Northeast people would die to get a car in that kind of shape!

go ahead and plan on mini tubing it so it will look bad also not counting more tread more traction for when you put your foot into that 360 later sandy

-
Back